Ford Inside News banner

2020 Explorer Revealed

65K views 142 replies 37 participants last post by  AM222 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)
I don't get the negativity this is getting, I really like it. And you can't say it looks like a Land Rover knock-off anymore. I suspect it's not going to be as popular as the current Explorer because it's RWD and more wagon-like with it's longer and lower profile, but it's pretty sharp and far cooler than it's main rivals (save the Durango). Aviator is more refined but not as dramatic. Compared to Aviator it does have some more visual interest with the rising beltline and stronger character line stretching from the front with a thinner greenhouse. The design on Aviator is more linear, less athletic.

I will hand it to the Ford designers, they took an outstanding design and evolved it further with far more dramatic proportions. I'm still glad this platform managed to survive, I'm shocked we finally have a product from it.

#4 ·
I don't get the negativity this is getting, I really like it. And you can't say it looks like a Land Rover knock-off anymore. It's probably not going to be as popular as the current Explorer because it's RWD and more wagon-like with it's longer and lower profile, but it's pretty sharp.
True. But for nearly the same money, would you buy a Full Loaded 2020 Explorer or Base 2020 Aviator? Personally, my money is on the Aviator.

#5 ·
I'm not a fan of the grille sliding under the headlights like it does.

Looks like they set it up for an optional contrasting roof with that cut line over the C pillar.

I worry it looks too similar to the outgoing model - does it look too much like a refresh? I'll reserve final judgment until seeing it fully revealed, though.

Reactions: scford58
#6 ·
S e n s a t i o n a l!

Still an Explorer, but completely new. It doesn’t look like a refresh... the proportions are different (is a RWD big SUV!), the sides are more sculpted, the front more aggressive and the belt line with upright direction is very modern. The taillights are too much similar to the old model.. but that is all.

I love it .

#17 · (Edited)
My first thought. The thicker cladding over the wheel arches makes it appear to have a lower belt line, and the C-Pillars extra rake as well as the character lines on the side angled upwards as they lead back have done wonders to an already handsome design.

Also not a fan of the grille's line joining the bottom of the headlight. In isolation it's ok but the overall view of the grille then looks weird.

Will this be made in RHD?

#14 ·
When I first saw the Explorer a few months back I thought the fascia looked like a cross between the new Edge and the old Edge, but there are other versions of this fascia which are better looking. I actually haven't seen this grille version until now and it's a little...off.

#16 · (Edited)
In general the 2020 Explorer body styling looks great, it retains the styling elements I like from the current model but combined with better proportions thanks to its RWD-AWD architecture.

I'm not a big fan of the grille shape but I can live with it, hopefully the civilian grille patterns make it look better.

Overall I like the look of the new Explorer.

#22 ·
The new Explorer is lower and longer, I actually don't know what the interior is like but it should be much roomier for all involved, especially upfront which is something that the current Explorer really struggled with because of the terrible floorpan design. Like the Edge and Escape redesigns, each one keeps getting longer and lower (significantly lower actually). It's funny because things are starting to meet at a certain homogenized sweet spot for fuel economy.

#24 · (Edited)
Exactly. Which is why we have 'real SUVs' again because everything else is basically a car. Crossovers are about as common as sedans use to be, it's an expected form factor and design, but people still want that rugged utility and image of a traditional SUV. I'm definitely on the side of the civilized utility with lots of performance, refinement, and modern design.

#28 ·
Wow this looks fantastic. Makes the Aviator that much more exciting. My lease will be up in May 2021 and I've been waiting for Ford to light a fire in this segment again. This in ST trim will be totally awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.