Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a breakdown of the Escape Hybrid's new powertrain, Ford's Manager of Advanced Electrified Powertrain Systems, Daniel Kok, told us that the new Escape Hybrid would get 50% better fuel economy than the current Escape in 1.5-liter EcoBoost form. That 2019 car's combined fuel economy rating is 26 mpg. Doing the math leads us to assume the Escape Hybrid will get about 39 mpg combined. That number is right about on-par with the competition. The 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is rated at 40 mpg combined, while the Nissan Rogue Hybrid lags behind at 34 mpg combined. If Ford is able to achieve that figure, then it'll be looking pretty good in its class from an efficiency standpoint. However, the RAV4 Hybrid does make 21 more horsepower than the Escape Hybrid, likely leaving it as the more powerful and efficient vehicle in its class.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/17/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-fuel-economy/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000021&yptr=yahoo

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
This site has no pulse any longer.
What a shame
...part of that is the lack of anything from Ford or even any hints as to what’s coming down the line. Ford introduces vehicles and then sits on all the info. 7.3? Bueller? The promised EV. GT500? Bronco? Maverick? Anything on anything? ****, Caddy will run out 3 new V series before we hear anything on Aviator numbers. If you run a tight-lipped close to the vest company, don’t expect anyone to get excited over anything.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
This site no longer has a pulse partly due to the aggressive and not tolerant attitude of some of its members. And I'm not talking about anyone in particular. I think we all have behaved that way at some point. I also see that people do not comment on the threads, either for good or for bad, which takes away enthusiasm to publish here. The lack of Ford products is not a cause. For example, Ford is about to launch a new vehicle, which already became a teaser, the new Puma, and there is not even a thread dedicated to that new vehicle, which can be basic for the recovery of the brand in Europe and perhaps the new entry level vehicle in the USA. And so, many interesting things about Ford that get lost. Some members of this site are only interested in electric vehicles, especially Tesla, when that is not essential for Ford now. I do not know if in 10 years it will be, but not now.

Anyway, I keep going, but I have stopped publishing because of that complete lack of interest in following a fun, relaxing, superficial conversation about cars that is, in reality, a hobby. Many people did not understand that this is not a matter of life or death and have killed this site. A real shame.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
As a Ford car person, Ford North America has zero interest for me as trucks and high riders are not my thing. Plus with Ford noise being mostly a bunch of cost cutting it does not create any confidence in the new stuff. Being over 60 I have seen Fords cycle of what their cost cutting does to the fleet and for me it ain't good for consumers who expect better than Dacia crap like vehicles. The new MK4 Focus has already been decontented as of April, so now a bunch of customer ordered Foci since last fall being produced after beginning of April are not what the customer thought they ordered.

I check in at times here but its just truck talk and a few defending this messed up company.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Traffic at all the forums is way down. One reason is that getting enthusiastic about crossovers and no cars is difficult for many. Another reason is that the insiders like AH-HA, Wescoent, etc left.

·
Registered
83 Posts
During a breakdown of the Escape Hybrid's new powertrain, Ford's Manager of Advanced Electrified Powertrain Systems, Daniel Kok, told us that the new Escape Hybrid would get 50% better fuel economy than the current Escape in 1.5-liter EcoBoost form. That 2019 car's combined fuel economy rating is 26 mpg. Doing the math leads us to assume the Escape Hybrid will get about 39 mpg combined. That number is right about on-par with the competition. The 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is rated at 40 mpg combined, while the Nissan Rogue Hybrid lags behind at 34 mpg combined. If Ford is able to achieve that figure, then it'll be looking pretty good in its class from an efficiency standpoint. However, the RAV4 Hybrid does make 21 more horsepower than the Escape Hybrid, likely leaving it as the more powerful and efficient vehicle in its class.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/17/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-fuel-economy/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000021&yptr=yahoo
The RAV4 is also AWD, so we need the Escape to beat the mileage of the RAV4 pretty good!

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good points about product cadence generating much less enthusiasm, for some, but there remains an entire world of products still out there and in the near future to talk about. Many are enthusiastic about the technology or the direction of electrification, and basically the most radical shift in the industry ever.

And Toyota is still the leader in hybrids, no question. Ford remains second in the entire world. Not a bad place to be, as you assess just how much capital you want to throw at a dying segment. If Ford hits 39 mpg compared to 40 for Rav4, that hardly means Ford failed. Nobody buys a car based on a couple mpg in either direction. Even if they say they do. But in the end, 40mpg from an SUV is quite impressive, but only if they offer decent performance too. Boring high MPG while losing most of the towing capacity is not something I am interested in. Can I still tow about 2Klbs with the Ford, which would beat the Rav4 (1750), then that matters too, as do many other factors.

Anyway, nice to see a pulse again. :)

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess people got tired speculating/guessing what the actual GT500 power figures will be and what will power the new Bronco. Lol
That happens everywhere. Albeit, Bronco is off the charts extreme. We are all frustrated by that. But honestly, typically all new products take 4-5 years to complete from first announced. Bronco is ahead of the game.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Where did you find the numbers for the Explorer? I havent seen any published numbers.
I think he's basing it on the 2020 Interceptor Utility AWD Hybrid which has a projected EPA-estimated combined rating of 24mpg according to Ford.

For comparison, the outgoing 2019 Explorer 2.3 EcoBoost AWD has a combined city/hwy rating of 21mpg.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think he's basing it on the 2020 Interceptor Utility AWD Hybrid which has a projected EPA-estimated combined rating of 24mpg according to Ford.

For comparison, the outgoing 2019 Explorer 2.3 EcoBoost AWD has a combined city/hwy rating of 21mpg.

The comparative rating is the highway FWD numbers, which current Explorer gets 27mpg.
I have no clue what the hybrid will be, but I do know that Ford wanted to maintain a healthy towing ability of about 7K lbs. Can't do that with conventional hybrids, so this MHT allows them some gains, probably about 20-25% increase, to maintain said abilities. So what is that, 33-34mpg? Still impressive, for a full size and fully capable SUV.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Where did you find the numbers for the Explorer? I havent seen any published numbers.

Thanks and you are correct.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts

Is stupid proyect the numbers of the heavier and more powerful Police Interceptor to the mainstream Explorer. Is very stupid...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts