Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new Explorer is here... almost. And the car journalists begin the reviews and comparo. Here some of them....

Is the new Explorer good enough?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/18/2020-ford-explorer-first-drive-review-hh4d37b/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/explorer/2020/2020-ford-explorer-and-explorer-hybrid-review/

"...Sure, its rear rows aren't as spacious as the class leaders', its cabin quality is unremarkable, and there's room for tech feature improvement. Its basic functionality as a family hauler is sound, but ultimately surpassed by top rivals. Yet, the new Explorer balances that with unmatched capability and performance, plus a driving experience that's different, and often better, than everything else. In the end, it makes for a far more noteworthy choice than if it was just another me-too crossover..."

"...Overall, the 2020 Explorer has more style, capability, and breadth than its predecessor. Whether it vaults to the top of the segment is the subject of future comparisons, but this latest model packs enough goods to retain its status as an American sweetheart..."

For Autoblog and Motor Trend is good enough...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Boy!!! Good enough, but comes with a huge price increase that puts some version on par with luxury SUVs...

This is it...Toyota will take the lead on yet another segment that used to be dominated by Ford.

First was compact cars, then midsize sedans, then compact SUVs, next midsize SUVs....

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy!!! Good enough, but comes with a huge price increase that puts some version on par with luxury SUVs...

This is it...Toyota will take the lead on yet another segment that used to be dominated by Ford.

First was compact cars, then midsize sedans, then compact SUVs, next midsize SUVs....
Maybe those “some versiones” are on par with luxury SUVs. RWD, 3 row seats, powerfull and tech loaded big SUV is a rare thing today...

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Explorer really is an attractive SUV. I like what I am seeing in terms of powertrain options and moving upscale with RWD. There is very little to compete really. Just the base 2.3L is a compelling package, easily superior to an NA 3.5L. As for the hybrid, I do think Ford will shake things up by offering so much utility while still improving fuel, especially with cheap gas getting cheaper. Should do well

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This is a great vehicle. That said, I still think they should have re-thought the face and interior dash.
I hope the Bronco proves to be more my style. I would either buy a Bronco and give up the third row, or buy a 2 year old standard length Expedition if I still thought I needed it.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a great vehicle. That said, I still think they should have re-thought the face and interior dash.
I hope the Bronco proves to be more my style. I would either buy a Bronco and give up the third row, or buy a 2 year old standard length Expedition if I still thought I needed it.

I think the same about the face and the dash. The dash is a style and design disaster. Maybe the Ford´s designers needs to pass some time in the Lincoln´s design offices.

>:)

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ 400hp and 5.5s?! It better be faster than that...I expect 4.8 or lower

Is a 4700 pounds vehicle with 7 seats and luggage capacity for all its occupants!

If you want to go from 0 to 100 in 3 sec, buy a Tesla model 3 (is the only thing that this refrigerator on wheels knows how to do well).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Local Ford dealer said the ST will be arriving sometime in Autumn. I try to negotiate a pre-order purchase buy but the sales manager throw in a MAP on it and I walked out the door and I will never comeback to this Ford dealership. They want to get an additional $20K over MSRP for the Explorer ST. Greedy!

·
Registered
511 Posts
My guess is low 5's. With only 3.0L, it prob gives up a slight surge right out of the whole. Not a horrible thing, if it pulls strong everywhere else. But what matters far more to me is how it steers and rides down the road. Sounds like Ford has a winner here.
and what many people forget is that this SUV is only a drive in drive out tune away from running some very serious numbers. Try doing that with an atmo V6 engined whatever...and then there's the promise of the performance PHeV 3.0 EB coming next year with SRT like power and torque.

Truly, what Ford needs is a smaller/lighter CD6 RWD/AWD Edge ST below Explorer, something drivers can really get their teeth into.
Now that would be something...

·
Registered
309 Posts
^^ 400hp and 5.5s?! It better be faster than that...I expect 4.8 or lower

Is a 4700 pounds vehicle with 7 seats and luggage capacity for all its occupants!

If you want to go from 0 to 100 in 3 sec, buy a Tesla model 3 (is the only thing that this refrigerator on wheels knows how to do well).
If a F150 3.5L with 5594lbs can swing 5s....this Explorer with 400hp and a lot more weight must swing at least the same.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
If a F150 3.5L with 5594lbs can swing 5s....this Explorer with 400hp and a lot more weight must swing at least the same.
Depends on which F150. They range in weights from very low 4K to very high 5K's. And the top trim 3.5L offer 510 ftlbs. I can't think of a stranger vehicle to compare to Explorer.

May I suggest you actually wait for a recorded actual 0-60 time, before you start your typical trolling.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Autoblog ST review was kinda off-putting, because it reminded me of the most recent Fusion ST/Sport reviews: not quite an insane performance vehicle, but more than a stripe and spoiler job.

Granted, I wasn't expecting it to be as hairy-chested as the SRT stuff, but I am disappointed in the numb steering. One of the qualities of RWD is improved steering feel...at least, generally speaking. BMW has managed to forget that in recent years.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The Autoblog ST review was kinda off-putting, because it reminded me of the most recent Fusion ST/Sport reviews: not quite an insane performance vehicle, but more than a stripe and spoiler job.

Granted, I wasn't expecting it to be as hairy-chested as the SRT stuff, but I am disappointed in the numb steering. One of the qualities of RWD is improved steering feel...at least, generally speaking. BMW has managed to forget that in recent years.
I think everybody is struggling to get steering feel with the new electric power steering systems. Even those who have it better still lack the feel of the old hydraulic systems.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts