Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
BTW, I saw my first new Explorer out in the wild yesterday.

It was a Platinum and had a white cardboard temporary plate on there.

So I guess they are officially out yet or did I see something special?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Reviews are starting to come in...from Yahoo Autos:

The engine has plenty of power and the transmission works well, but this pairing still has some flaws. Right off the bat, there is no mistaking that there’s just a four-cylinder engine under the hood. It’s a bit noisy, with a raspy quality that isn’t appropriate for a midsized SUV, especially one that costs $50,000. The sound gives the impression that the engine is really working hard. This, combined with the wind noise, quickly becomes tiresome.

It can be challenging to drive the Explorer in suburban settings. When starting up from a stop, such as at a traffic light or pulling into traffic from a side street, the Explorer lurches forward. That’s followed by rough shifts from first to second gear, and from second to third. Plus, the transmission tends to hold on to a lower gear longer than it needs to, which makes the engine noise worse.

Drivers have commented that the Explorer has a somewhat stiff ride around town and that they can feel every ripple and crack that the SUV drives over.

The cabin's fit and finish isn’t particularly impressive either. Some of the door surfaces have different coloring, which is easy to see in direct sunlight: The black plastics around the armrest appear purple, while other panels remain black.

The roof pillars are thick, especially the one just over the driver’s shoulder. These, combined with the short side-window glass and the very small rear window, make it a challenge to see out.

The interior feels rather cheap and plasticky, like what you'd find in a Ford F-150 or Ranger pickup truck. We expect to find harder, work-level materials in a pickup, but not a family SUV. The third-row seat has lots of headroom, but it’s less roomy than the previous generation, lacks under-leg support, and has limited foot room. It’s best left for kids.

We’re pretty disappointed by these obvious flaws in such a high-priced SUV. A fully loaded Kia Telluride is priced at just under $48,000. At that price, it has luxury-level accommodations and unique, thoughtful features, such as USB outlets on the rear of the front seats. Our Explorer comes in near $50,000 but feels like it should be much closer to $30,000.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

The engine has plenty of power and the transmission works well, but this pairing still has some flaws. Right off the bat, there is no mistaking that there’s just a four-cylinder engine under the hood. It’s a bit noisy, with a raspy quality that isn’t appropriate for a midsized SUV, especially one that costs $50,000. The sound gives the impression that the engine is really working hard. This, combined with the wind noise, quickly becomes tiresome.

It can be challenging to drive the Explorer in suburban settings. When starting up from a stop, such as at a traffic light or pulling into traffic from a side street, the Explorer lurches forward. That’s followed by rough shifts from first to second gear, and from second to third. Plus, the transmission tends to hold on to a lower gear longer than it needs to, which makes the engine noise worse.

Drivers have commented that the Explorer has a somewhat stiff ride around town and that they can feel every ripple and crack that the SUV drives over.

The cabin's fit and finish isn’t particularly impressive either. Some of the door surfaces have different coloring, which is easy to see in direct sunlight: The black plastics around the armrest appear purple, while other panels remain black.

The roof pillars are thick, especially the one just over the driver’s shoulder. These, combined with the short side-window glass and the very small rear window, make it a challenge to see out.

The interior feels rather cheap and plasticky, like what you'd find in a Ford F-150 or Ranger pickup truck. We expect to find harder, work-level materials in a pickup, but not a family SUV. The third-row seat has lots of headroom, but it’s less roomy than the previous generation, lacks under-leg support, and has limited foot room. It’s best left for kids.

We’re pretty disappointed by these obvious flaws in such a high-priced SUV. A fully loaded Kia Telluride is priced at just under $48,000. At that price, it has luxury-level accommodations and unique, thoughtful features, such as USB outlets on the rear of the front seats. Our Explorer comes in near $50,000 but feels like it should be much closer to $30,000.

... and you are happy with this review, HELLboy. I can imagine you having an orgasm with all these negative comments about the Explorer. You are this way, HELLboy. :wink2:

·
Registered
309 Posts

... and you are happy with this review, HELLboy. I can imagine you having an orgasm with all these negative comments about the Explorer. You are this way, HELLboy. /forums/images/FordInsideNews_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
All the reviews we’ve seen so far were ‘first drives’, these are always positive and sponsored by the auto maker....

This is the first real test, and it didn’t happen because Ford provided one Explorer but because they bought one for a long term testing.

I am not happy but this review confirms my fears - the Explorer is too pricey for what it is, Ford pushed prices too high making it uncompetitive....

Let’s see if others will come to the same conclusion (once Ford decides to let car mags really test it and compare against the competition)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Shut up troll. You posted the negative portion ONLY of a review, ignoring the postive remarks, and did not bother with the source. That's all you have done here. There are plenty of write-ups and video reviews, and almost entirely positive.
You can scream all you want little baby boy...
All first drives...no comparisons, no test data...

·
Registered
394 Posts
... and you are happy with this review, HELLboy. I can imagine you having an orgasm with all these negative comments about the Explorer. You are this way, HELLboy. :wink2:
Says the db that continually has trash talked the corvette for not being a corvette...a car with nearly universal praise. Chevy did a tremendous job on THEIR icon. You’re hate is transparent so go back to imagining hellboy’s orgasm.

Shut up troll.
Omg u hit a nerve hellboy lmfao! U give this dead forum some life. And truth. Unlike nutjob and fordlover.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Says the db that continually has trash talked the corvette for not being a corvette...a car with nearly universal praise. Chevy did a tremendous job on THEIR icon. You’re hate is transparent so go back to imagining hellboy’s orgasm.

Omg u hit a nerve hellboy lmfao! U give this dead forum some life. And truth. Unlike nutjob and fordlover.
I want you post some bad comments from me about the new Chevy sport midsize car. Only one. I say that the new car is not a Corvette because the Corvette is a RWD, 2 seats, front engine sport car. The new car is mid-engine car, and a completly diferent kind of vehicle.You want to call it Corvette? Ok. But it isnt. Go to GMI forum and look at the opinion of the Corvette fans. Is a bad vehicle (if you ignore the fact its design is very similar to a Ferrari) ? No! Is a good vehicle. But is not a Corvette.... :x

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Falcon, I agree, you were not negative on C8. I read your posts. You simply expressed an opinion that many fans also have, that they will miss the long hood proportions of every single previous gen which has always defined vette. I struggle as well, completely recognizing that new C8 is a superior sports car on the track. It's just not always about shaving time on a track for some fans.

Anyway, back to the Explorer (somewhat), but I can't help wonder how Bronco will have a huge impact on Explorer sales numbers. I took my time walking through the huuuge Bronco event area at Woodward Cruise yesterday. There was easily several hundred spread over a 1/4 mile or so. I have seen some of these in the past, but never have I seen them all together, parked, where I could talk with the owners and other fans who took endless picutres. The clear take away for anyone who witnessed the event......Bronco mania is very strong and absolutely growing. Ford's timing with new Bronco and mini Bronco is brilliant. Jeep should be nervous, as this will impact their sales directly.

http://fordauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/1968-Ford-Bronco-Black-002.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
Falcon, I agree, you were not negative on C8. I read your posts. You simply expressed an opinion that many fans also have, that they will miss the long hood proportions of every single previous gen which has always defined vette. I struggle as well, completely recognizing that new C8 is a superior sports car on the track. It's just not always about shaving time on a track for some fans.

Anyway, back to the Explorer (somewhat), but I can't help wonder how Bronco will have a huge impact on Explorer sales numbers. I took my time walking through the huuuge Bronco event area at Woodward Cruise yesterday. There was easily several hundred spread over a 1/4 mile or so. I have seen some of these in the past, but never have I seen them all together, parked, where I could talk with the owners and other fans who took endless picutres. The clear take away for anyone who witnessed the event......Bronco mania is very strong and absolutely growing. Ford's timing with new Bronco and mini Bronco is brilliant. Jeep should be nervous, as this will impact their sales directly.

http://fordauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/1968-Ford-Bronco-Black-002.jpg
The Broncos are vapourware so far...we are 6 months away from 2020 and we haven’t any of them...so much for the line up to be ‘transformed’ by 2020...

Jeep has nothing to worry about, somehow they have a strong brand reputation, as long as they don’t screw up, they should stay at the top without much effort. By the time the new ‘Bronco’ come in 2021/2022 (maybe?), Jeep will be throwing the a new interior with even more tech in the Wrangler, including a plug in hybrid....they will have a new Grand Cherokee and the Grand Wagoneer (this one I honestly has taken Jeep way too much time to bring to market)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I want you post some bad comments from me about the new Chevy sport midsize car. Only one. I say that the new car is not a Corvette because the Corvette is a RWD, 2 seats, front engine sport car. The new car is mid-engine car, and a completly diferent kind of vehicle.You want to call it Corvette? Ok. But it isnt. Go to GMI forum and look at the opinion of the Corvette fans. Is a bad vehicle (if you ignore the fact its design is very similar to a Ferrari) ? No! Is a good vehicle. But is not a Corvette.... :x
The corvette is a corvette no matter your feelings. And I’m constantly on GMI and the new vette has been widely embraced but most fans...I don’t know what ur talking about.

But this is an explorer thread so no more corvette talk.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
The corvette is a corvette no matter your feelings. And I’m constantly on GMI and the new vette has been widely embraced but most fans...I don’t know what ur talking about.

But this is an explorer thread so no more corvette talk.
You brought up the vette.....LOL

And now that Falcon calls you out on it, asking you to find the negative remarks you attacked him for, and you now to spin it down and no longer want to talk about it?

And if anyone should not talk about negative comments on a product, it is you!!!!

I kind of miss your ignorance around here. Or should I say, I miss the comic relief. Hellboi can't seem to hold a candle to your elite brand of foolishness. ALthough he tries desperately.:x

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
The Broncos are vapourware so far...we are 6 months away from 2020 and we haven’t any of them...so much for the line up to be ‘transformed’ by 2020...

Jeep has nothing to worry about, somehow they have a strong brand reputation, as long as they don’t screw up, they should stay at the top without much effort. By the time the new ‘Bronco’ come in 2021/2022 (maybe?), Jeep will be throwing the a new interior with even more tech in the Wrangler, including a plug in hybrid....they will have a new Grand Cherokee and the Grand Wagoneer (this one I honestly has taken Jeep way too much time to bring to market)
Wish I had a chance to catch your remarks before you edited them out. But I will save what remains of this pathetically foolish post to reply to again soon. Very soon.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Wish I had a chance to catch your remarks before you edited them out. But I will save what remains of this pathetically foolish post to reply to again soon. Very soon.
While you think about how to respond to it, here are some numbers for you to digest...somehow the Ford Fusion has had an amazing year and it now sells more units than a Ford Explorer!!! Omg hey?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
While you think about how to respond to it, here are some numbers for you to digest...somehow the Ford Fusion has had an amazing year and it now sells more units than a Ford Explorer!!! Omg hey?

So a car costing nearly a 1/3 as much with heavy discounts managed to outsell another that had ended production many months ago, as they transition to new.

Perhaps I am being hard on someone who appears to be very young or very slow. Or both.

·
Registered
309 Posts

So a car costing nearly a 1/3 as much with heavy discounts managed to outsell another that had ended production many months ago, as they transition to new.

Perhaps I am being hard on someone who appears to be very young or very slow. Or both.
Hmmm the Toyota Highlander still managed to make #2 (or #1, since the JGC is not a 7-seater), even though it is in the EXACT same spot as the Explorer - the new generation is hitting dealers in September. Sign of times...I’ve been alerting Ford that this would happen - the sales slide from both Escape and Explorer is very concerning.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Hellboi, are you really so obtuse that you simply can't understand the sales impact of (2) volume sellers that stopped production months ago combined with dealer volumes depleting as Ford holds incentives minimum, and also combined with consumers awaiting all new products?

We may disagree on a lot, but there is no way you are this dumb to not undrstand. Hence my remark about age.

21 - 40 of 283 Posts