Ford Inside News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/20/2020-ford-mustang-hpp-first-drive/?yptr=yahoo

what you lose in Woodward Avenue sound, you gain in handling. Turns out that taking 200 pounds of engine weight off the Mustang’s overloaded front axle can transform the car. Overall curb weight falls to about 3,650 pounds. Front-to-rear weight balance slides closer to neutral at 53/47 percent, versus 56/44 percent for a Mustang GT. The HPP adopts GT brakes, including 13.9-inch front rotors, and adds an alloy strut-tower brace, with a 1.3-inch solid front roll bar and hollow 0.9-inch rear bar. The EcoBoost gets a mechanical rear diff, five selectable drive modes, and special calibrations for power steering, ABS and stability control.

Now, add that $1,995 Handling Package, and the real magic happens. (The package is exclusive to the coupe, but available with either transmission). A broad-ranging MagneRide adjustable suspension mates with a Torsen limited-slip differential, a shorter 3.55:1 rear axle and 0.9-inch solid rear sway bar. The pavement-sticking package then adds wider, Pirelli P Zero Corsa summer tires, in 265/40R size. That bears emphasis: Supercar-worthy tires, on a four-cylinder Mustang! Ford claims the HPP-HP will generate more than 1 g of lateral acceleration, which would outdo even the Chevy Camaro’s excellent, track-storming 1LE editions.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As much as I really like the current 'Stang, if they can strip some weight next time around and make a few evolutionary improvements to the chassis...****....

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, this is a rather old platform really.

I wonder how well this HiPo I4 will stack up against the performance hybrid that is coming. I must say, I am more interested in that. Yeah, it won't be a track star with the added battery weight, but higher mileage Mustang with V8 like power, is ideal for those who seek a quiet grand touring ride, instead of either a burbling V8 or ricer sounding I4. They all have their strengths, but me, I would take a convertible hybrid over all the above. Imagine driving around in electric mode with zero sound for a bit. Electric assist makes several new pending features possible. that I can't go into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts