Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 Ford Shelby GT500 revealed in Instagram post

The photo was posted on the sinister_lifestyle Instagram account and was picked up by our friends at Jalopnik. While we can't confirm that the car is the actually the GT500, the picture looks real to us. The photo was also geotagged at Ford Motor Company in Dearborn.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/18/2020-ford-shelby-gt500-revealed-instagram/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not liking that front end, could do without the Audi front end. I guess with Chevy's ugly front end on the SS, Ford had to come out with a ugly front end too. I guess i need to start looking for a GT350 R or GT and put a blower on them.
I hope they have a GT500 without that big ass rear spoiler. Has Ford not figured it out track cars don't sale as well as muscle cars. Look at chevy's track cars they are sitting on the lots too. In all the time they sold the GT500's they never sat on the lot like the Gt350's do now.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Having seen that same exact car in person, It never crossed my mind about the Audi grill shape. Something about that angle promotes that a bit, but I would not worry too much.
Audi shield grill shape plus a GTR-like prominent black (divider) beam gives the GT500's grille its own distinct look.

Overall I like how it looks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Not liking that front end, could do without the Audi front end. I guess with Chevy's ugly front end on the SS, Ford had to come out with a ugly front end too. I guess i need to start looking for a GT350 R or GT and put a blower on them.
I hope they have a GT500 without that big ass rear spoiler. Has Ford not figured it out track cars don't sale as well as muscle cars. Look at chevy's track cars they are sitting on the lots too. In all the time they sold the GT500's they never sat on the lot like the Gt350's do now.
Assuming the spoiler is part of a track pack.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Looks good to me, still hoping those specs leaking awhile ago arent true though as 4200lbs to too much.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It might be over 4,000 lbs, but I doubt 4,200.
For perspective, the Hellcat Challenger weighs almost 4,500 lbs
I think the GT500 shouldn't weigh over 300lbs heavier than a 3,760lb GT350, isn't it using a modified boosted version of the 5.2L V8?

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
I think the GT500 shouldn't weigh over 300lbs heavier than a 3,760lb GT350, isn't it using a modified boosted version of the 5.2L V8?
You would be surprised what a stronger drivetrain, bigger wheels/tires, supercharger and peripherals add in weight. But I think it should be around 4K

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

I'm wondering if the GT500 will not be as good at the track if it gains too much weight. Straight line would be much better than GT350, but an extra 300 lbs would really be taxing the brakes on a road course. Even if it can do one or two laps a little faster than the GT350, would it be able to stay faster after 5 or 10 laps?

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
I'm wondering if the GT500 will not be as good at the track if it gains too much weight. Straight line would be much better than GT350, but an extra 300 lbs would really be taxing the brakes on a road course. Even if it can do one or two laps a little faster than the GT350, would it be able to stay faster after 5 or 10 laps?
let's face it, neither will be running countless laps on a race track. But from what I understand, the goal was to improve on GT350 handling, with better brakes, wheels, tuning, etc. The massive power boost will help to cancel out any concerns that it will be a heavy beast incapable of big lateral G forces, like a Hellcat.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

Of course. This car is not an electric car.

P.S.: I miss the people here that ever remind our that the Tesla is faster than any Mustang out there...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
The massive power boost will help to cancel out any concerns that it will be a heavy beast incapable of big lateral G forces, like a Hellcat.
With the GT500's focus on both straight-line performance and handling, it will naturally be compared to the 650hp Camaro ZL1 Coupe which weighs 3,883lbs (manual) and 3,944lbs (auto).

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Of course. This car is not an electric car.

P.S.: I miss the people here that ever remind our that the Tesla is faster than any Mustang out there...
Ok.....Fine! :wink2:

Model 3 Performance - 3.3 seconds, Model S P100D - 2.5 seconds. And that's just the big 4 door sedans.

Roadster - 1.9 seconds.

And Formula E is now racing with new longer range performance batteries. It's the future....today.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
With the GT500's focus on both straight-line performance and handling, it will naturally be compared to the 650hp Camaro ZL1 Coupe which weighs 3,883lbs (manual) and 3,944lbs (auto).

Of course, and quite honestly, the only people that care about a 100lbs here nor there, are forum racers.

100lbs on a 2000lb race car trying to shave 1/1000 off a Cherokee second means more than a car weighing twice that and will almost certainly never run one race track lap, let alone many.

I am still guessing just over 4K. Not a single purchase will be based on it's weight either.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Of course, and quite honestly, the only people that care about a 100lbs here nor there, are forum racers.

100lbs on a 2000lb race car trying to shave 1/1000 off a Cherokee second means more than a car weighing twice that and will almost certainly never run one race track lap, let alone many.

I am still guessing just over 4K. Not a single purchase will be based on it's weight either.
I'm sure this is very true. On the other hand, when BMW's M or Benz's AMG put out a limited edition upgrade, they make it lighter than the normal M or AMG by removing some of the "luxury" interior components and substituting aluminum or carbon fibre body parts, the latter being a very expensive option. Mustang won't and can't go that route. The GT500 will probably be a big hit here but may likely be a harder sell in the European market where Mustangs are popular. I actually hope I'm wrong about that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts