1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/06/2020-ford-super-duty-dually-spied-looking-menacing-in-full-camo/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000021&yptr=yahoo

More info and pics.

BTW, new V10 replacement V8 engine is much larger than 7.0L and will be far more powerful and certainly much more efficient with 2 fewer cylinders.
Couple things Im curious about with the big gasser. I've seen some reports saying DOHC 4 valve, but wonder if thats true or if going with a 2 valve like the 6.2 for better torque. Also I'm assuming this will replace the 6.8 V10 in the medium duty trucks as well as the RVs. Lastly, are we going to see it show up anywhere else.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couple things Im curious about with the big gasser. I've seen some reports saying DOHC 4 valve, but wonder if thats true or if going with a 2 valve like the 6.2 for better torque. Also I'm assuming this will replace the 6.8 V10 in the medium duty trucks as well as the RVs. Lastly, are we going to see it show up anywhere else.
V10 used old modular architecture, and therefore can’t be kept around. It is outdated and more power / efficiency can be had in a modern large V8, and will easily be more efficient than even the 6.2L with much more power as well.

That said, if you want to know what architecture Ford chose for it, imagine for a minute that you are tasked with a clean sheet design to be used only for your bread/butter light to medium duty trucks, and you could probably guess the path Ford chose. Your design would consider;

High mileage durability and simplicity
Low mechanical friction
Low maintenance
Big torque at low RPM
Adaptable to new fuel saving technologies

·
Registered
348 Posts
V10 used old modular architecture, and therefore can’t be kept around. It is outdated and more power / efficiency can be had in a modern large V8, and will easily be more efficient than even the 6.2L with much more power as well.

That said, if you want to know what architecture Ford chose for it, imagine for a minute that you are tasked with a clean sheet design to be used only for your bread/butter light to medium duty trucks, and you could probably guess the path Ford chose. Your design would consider;

High mileage durability and simplicity
Low mechanical friction
Low maintenance
Big torque at low RPM
Adaptable to new fuel saving technologies
So you think it's an OHV?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts