Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The Z is almost certainly getting replaced with a new model, but wondering whats up with the Conti. Isnt it about time for a refresh?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Thanks for posting my pics, I had issues posting the pics here and gave up!

I since realized the production rear door also has a straighter vertical line at the rear, so more changes there too.

BTW Rolls Royce also uses a center B pillar trim piece as well, and actually it makes it looks a bit more finished now.

Speaking with the Lincoln staff, it sounds like for 2020 they might offer it with the standard 3 person rear seat, removing the unique full console. Maybe that deletion and the removal of the “80th Anniversary” name might allow them to drop the price too?

I am disappointed the handles no longer meet in the middle but glad to hear there are more of these coming!

·
Registered
866 Posts
The Z is almost certainly getting replaced with a new model, but wondering whats up with the Conti. Isnt it about time for a refresh?
I hope not! A refresh of a model that was intended to be a placeholder? Please, no. Only a real CD6 Continental will do, IMO. Up to now, Ford is resisting that idea so I expect the placeholder to die a slow death even as a few coach-door entries apply mouth-to-mouth.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I hope not! A refresh of a model that was intended to be a placeholder? Please, no. Only a real CD6 Continental will do, IMO. Up to now, Ford is resisting that idea so I expect the placeholder to die a slow death even as a few coach-door entries apply mouth-to-mouth.
Was it really meant to be a placeholder though? Sure was touted as the beginning of the Lincoln Renaissance.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'd like the Zephyr and Continental to go forward, with rwd/awd and with different missions:

The Zephyr should be, as mentioned by others, slightly smaller and maybe with more obvious sport sedan potential.

The Continental should define quiet, luxurious excellence...with drivetrains that move the car with smooth torque that reminds some of us of the ol' 460 Lincolns. However, it should also handle well enough to surprise the S-Class/7 Series/A8 driver.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Very curious why they changed the design of the door handles. I prefer the clean look of the prototype MUCH more.

Maybe this is all to get it ready for a higher volume production cycle? I doubt this one will be mass produced, but maybe it's a preview of what's to come on a (hopefully) all new Continental.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Very curious why they changed the design of the door handles. I prefer the clean look of the prototype MUCH more.

Maybe this is all to get it ready for a higher volume production cycle? I doubt this one will be mass produced, but maybe it's a preview of what's to come on a (hopefully) all new Continental.
I suspect it was a cost issue, since they now use the same production door handle as regular Continentals.

If you look at the new design, with the now thicker B pillar, they did space the rear handle out to match where it lines up to the window as the front door. I guess they could have modified the concept handles as well to space out like this.

Overall it really looks like the entire B pillar is thicker (at least compared to the prototype) which I imagine is in the name of safety.

The NY display model was noted as "00 of 80" and the rep mentioned it wont count against the true 80 being built and sold to the public. I wonder if this will be crushed or used internally?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Was it really meant to be a placeholder though? Sure was touted as the beginning of the Lincoln Renaissance.
No, it was not. I read somewhere recently that CD6 was engineered primarily to accommodate an all-new RWD Continental. But the sedan market turned to ****, and it was decided that Lincoln can't support two sedans in the lineup. Rather than cut bait and bail on the work completed and costs incurred, they elected to expand its use of CD6 in the RWD configuration. The implication was that the Explorer's move to RWD was at least partly the result of the Continental getting put on hiatus. If the Explorer and Aviator are as well received as I expect them to be despite, it could turn out to be one of those "who knew?" situations.

·
Registered
866 Posts
IMO only. A gussied-up Fusion (remember MKZ and Conti shared an ancient CD4 architecture) does not a renaissance make. The touters were wrong then as now.

·
Registered
866 Posts
No, it was not. I read somewhere recently that CD6 was engineered primarily to accommodate an all-new RWD Continental. But the sedan market turned to ****, and it was decided that Lincoln can't support two sedans in the lineup. Rather than cut bait and bail on the work completed and costs incurred, they elected to expand its use of CD6 in the RWD configuration. The implication was that the Explorer's move to RWD was at least partly the result of the Continental getting put on hiatus. If the Explorer and Aviator are as well received as I expect them to be despite, it could turn out to be one of those "who knew?" situations.
Actually, Ford's sedan market turned to **** and Lincoln has always been a backwater for Ford so that decision was a logical result of congenital mismanagement.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Motor Trend had a little blurb about it. Lincoln was supposed to have a fullsize sedan based on the CD6 architecture despite slipping sedan sales, the thought was with Explorer and Aviator using it then it would help offset costs. Joy Falotico killed that plan.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hear that everyone, only Ford is suffering from bad sedan sales, because they screwed up.

Got it
That's not what I wrote and you know it. You are quite the spinmaster. My own words now; only Ford is suffering from bad sedan sales enough that they had to announce that they will stop making sedans.

Got that?

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
That's not what I wrote and you know it. You are quite the spinmaster. My own words now; only Ford is suffering from bad sedan sales enough that they had to announce that they will stop making sedans.

Got that?
Yes, you are the spinmaster, proven here yet again with your paraphrasing.

Here is exactly what you typed, that I responded to;

Actually, Ford's sedan market turned to **** and Lincoln has always been a backwater for Ford so that decision was a logical result of congenital mismanagement.

Could you be more obvious!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yes, you are the spinmaster, proven here yet again with your paraphrasing.

Here is exactly what you typed, that I responded to;

Could you be more obvious!
How can I be a spinmaster of my own words? How can I paraphrase my own words? I'm glad you quoted me because people can read what I wrote and they can also read what you say I wrote. What you're saying I wrote (paraphrase) is spin. I don't take what you say and try to paraphrase it. I let your words speak for themselves and I make my points. I may counter you but I don't belittle you.

So here goes. My words:

Every auto manufacturer is experiencing a slowdown in sedan sales in relation to SUV/CUV sales.

Only Ford has announced the discontinuation of sedans for the U.S. market.

Every other auto manufacturer continues to produce, update and introduce sedans for the U.S. market.

Those are the facts. I know you don't agree with my opinions about why this is the case, which is that customers perceived rightly that Ford's sedans were not as good/desirable/attractive as the competition's sedans and they avoided buying them. Not keeping up with the competition is a basic screw-up in business. It can usually be attributed to mismanagement.

I can't be more obvious than that.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I see him on Facebook in the Lincoln page, wanted so many times to ask him. Sure he had his reasons though.

Ive asked him in the past and he said he was 'over it' can't say I blame him. Ive taken my own break from this site too and GMI but I seem to have come back to GMI at a bad time with some of the posters there.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts