Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

https://youtu.be/f-7XFxjKtN0

The last time when Ford slapped on the “Tremor” badge on a truck was for the 2014 model year when the previous-generation F-150 got a somewhat sporty version with miscellaneous tweaks inside and out. The Blue Oval is bringing the moniker back, but it’s taking a different approach as now Tremor serves as an optional off-road package for the F-250 and F-350.

Trying to live up to the “Built Ford Tough” ethos, Ford has created what it refers to as the “most capable off-road Super Duty ever.” Available as a pack for the XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum trims of the two workhorses, Tremor comes with 35-inch “maximum-traction” all-terrain tires for better off-road chops. These are the “largest tires fitted to a heavy-duty pickup” and come together with bespoke 18-inch wheels finished in matte black.

Compared to a non-Tremor F-250 or F-350, the trucks boast a 2-inch front-end lift as well as a shorter air dam to enable a generous ground clearance of 10.8 inches (27.4 centimeters). A Super Duty Tremor also boasts a segment-leading water fording of 33 in (83.82 cm) and the best approach and departure angles (31.65 degrees and 24.51 degrees, respectively) ever offered on a Super Duty model.

Customers will be able to order the pack with either the completely new 7.3-liter V8 gasoline engine or the torquetastic third-gen 6.7-liter PowerStroke diesel – both of which are hooked up to a ten-speed automatic heavy-duty transmission. The Tremor package will also bundle other niceties like a Dana limited-slip differential at the front and a locking differential with electronic shift-on-the-fly engagement at the back.

Ford mentions a Super Duty equipped with the Tremor package features running boards that tuck up next to the body to avoid damages, along with FX4-sourced skid plates and extended-axle vent tubes. Selectable drive modes are also in the offing, including a new rock-crawl mode designed to work in 4x4 low. The F-150 Raptor’s Trail Control also seen in the Ranger is making its debut on a Super Duty model and works basically like an off-road cruise control system.

Ford will have the Tremor package available later this year together with the 2020 Super Duty lineup.

https://www.motor1.com/news/356903/ford-super-duty-tremor-package/

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the big gas option. 35" wheels is impressive. On that massive truck tho, they seem more like 32". What a fun off road beast and nice option from a desert flying Raptor.
I absolutely love this thing. Its way too big for the trails Ive gone down, but still.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Nothing more american than this thing: big, very big, powerfull (have an engine with more than 7 liter !), big ( I already said that?...), off road capable, with gigantic wheels and tires .... The Jeep of the big trucks.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Thinking about the tuning upgrades that are no doubt in the works for the 7.3L. I don't think specs are out yet, but HP is around 460 and Tq nearly 500. So I would imagine that a cam, chip and headers will net something close to 600 ftlbs. HP is anyone's guess, but a function of cam mostly. 550 should be quite easy. Not too bad. And I bet it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nothing more american than this thing: big, very big, powerfull (have an engine with more than 7 liter !), big ( I already said that?...), off road capable, with gigantic wheels and tires .... The Jeep of the big trucks.
LOL, don't forget big.

Filling the fuel tank would feel like paying a monthly car payment....:surprise2:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
LOL, don't forget big.

Filling the fuel tank would feel like paying a monthly car payment....:surprise2:

Tank size is irrelevant. Youstill pay the same amount per gallon, and do not need to fill the tank. Truckshave large fuel tanks for convenience.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Local gas is as low as $2.59 for me during holiday week. A 30 gal tank of gas still does not scare me.

You are lucky, guys. Here in Spain 1 galon of gasoline cost 6,10$ !

:crying2:

That is why I will go from my old 2014 Explorer to a compact Mercedes-Benz A-Class.... and with the 1.3 lt engine.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im curious though, a lot of speculation that the off-road SD would be Timberline. Wondering where that name will be used.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
So the SD's largest gas V8 is beaten by the F-150's biggest turbo V6. I was expecting it to at least match the Ecoboost at 450/510.
I expected a bit more, and this does not provide Ford the significant competitive advantage I had hoped for. It does barely shade GM's new albeit smaller 6.6 401 HD V8 , and quite frankly Dodge could easily match this with the 6.4 392 HD V8. I am sure it is far more profitable for Ford to sell the Powerstroke diesel to HD truck buyers, and that definitely figures into the equation.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The power figures make sense, as the torque is what actually matters and the torque band most of all. As much as we're all used to gaudy power numbers for some time, now, this is the engine's debut and initial production tune(s). Its power levels are starting at the upper echelon of the market, is much less complex than the Ecoboost motors, and is built for endurance/packaging/simplicity.

I fail to see the problem. It's not some part of the pony car hp wars, it's for hauling/towing while being less expensive than the diesel.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Yup, the motor was designed as a cheap alternative to Diesel, which the SD and commercial market demands. It will also replace the legacy modular motor. Area under the torque curve is the name of the game here, as is it's long term durability targets with it's cast iron block. Pretty sure Ford knows how to make more peaky power, but there is pretty much zero demad for it in this segment. When I heard D35 turbo like power/Tq numbers, I guess I assumed Raptor numbers. But still, being King is not a bad place to land.

And no, this would make very little sense in a Raptor. You would give up a lot of power, and gain a lot of weight.

I did hear that it exceeded all their fuel efficiency goals, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The power figures make sense, as the torque is what actually matters and the torque band most of all. As much as we're all used to gaudy power numbers for some time, now, this is the engine's debut and initial production tune(s). Its power levels are starting at the upper echelon of the market, is much less complex than the Ecoboost motors, and is built for endurance/packaging/simplicity.

I fail to see the problem. It's not some part of the pony car hp wars, it's for hauling/towing while being less expensive than the diesel.
The issue is that a clean sheet design is still only broadly competitive with its competition. That includes torque which GM is only 11 lb ft shy with even less displacement.

That being said there was a statement about many hours of wide open throttle testing , and bearing as well as cylinder wall wear was said to be negligible.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts