Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
I hope they don't do the chrome bars across the grille, it's ridiculously gaudy and being overplayed in the truck market.

I actually prefer the "unbarred" F-150 front end by miles, and would like the Ranger to show its DNA that way.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Too much Chevy DNA in there:

-the grille, while similar to the F-150's look, looks too Chevy.

-the way the wheel arches (the bumps above the openings) are squared off is very Chevy, and doesn't follow Ford's more rounded wheel opening/arches style.

-the taillights look almost pulled from Silverado.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheel arches itself are round as on all Fords. 'Widebody' fenders have some Raptor echoes.
Headlights look very fordish, doesn't look like all this new Chevy mess at all.
Black claddind, foglights placement and rear bumper shape is pretty similar to the current Ranger.

Of course I could be wrong (can't see Ford in this taillights for example) but I see a lot of the elements used by Ford now on this vechicle.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Wheel arches itself are round as on all Fords. 'Widebody' fenders have some Raptor echoes.
Black claddind, foglights placement and rear bumper shape is pretty similar to the current Ranger.

Of course I could be wrong (can't see Ford in this taillights for example) but I see a lot of the elements used by Ford now on this vechicle.
Not the openings. The fender flares/arches OVER the openings (that bump out over the wheels).

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
It's the almost full-width chrome horizontal bars that give it a slight Chevy feel at first glance but I do see F-series styling cues on the front end.

I have to admit, it looks interesting.

I also noticed that the basic cab looks like it's based on the current one but with new skins that add prominent creases and folds to the sides. The bottom of the rear side window has a slightly different shape but it looks like it could be using the same glass.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I suspect that this is just somebody's rendering. Might even be from an anonymous Ford designer but the logo up front is covered up. Could be close to the next-gen design or not. It's a nice tease, though.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Perhaps this also tells us how stupidly similar the design languages are between the 2 brands ... despite the resulting trucks looking different ... all the cars/trucks just look alike.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I suspect that this is just somebody's rendering.
It could actually be a clay model. Looking at the details, it has no side mirrors and its front wheels are on dollies (probably so it can be moved around or pushed out of the studio to see how it looks like in natural daylight).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Those vertical plastic pieces covering the front bumper and going to the headlights would not make it to the US. After a specific re-design to an all steel bumper, this would not work here, in fact it would be a terrible idea, as it looks like it is attached to bumper, body, and outlines the headlights. One bump and the things crack up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well, if Jalopnik is correct, we have confirmation.

https://jalopnik.com/that-apparent-ford-ranger-prototype-is-definitely-fords-1832882073

Dear Mr. George,

We are outside counsel to Ford Motor Company (“Ford”), which asked us to contact Jalopnik and ask for its voluntary agreement to take down copyrighted images of a Ford automobile, which are displayed at the following URL:

Attached is a screenshot on which the photos have been circled.Ford did not authorize release of the photos, which Ford has strong reason to believe were released in violation of a non-disclosure agreement.

Please let me know if there is anything else that you need in order to consider this request. Ford asks Jalopnik to remove the photos as soon as possible and by no later than February 25, 2019.Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Best regards,

REDACTED | Attorney

The attached screenshot, with the Ford pickup nice and big and circled, was helpful:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I hope it's fairly representative. I rather like it. And the fact that it wasn't immediately recognizable as a Ranger is a good thing. The last thing I want to see is a mild evolution of the current model, or worse a 7/8 scale F-Series.

Off topic, but I wonder if there's ever been serious consideration of a Super Duty Ranger? A model with beefed up frame and suspension providing slightly higher tow and payload ratings? If it was ever discussed, I presume it was nixed because of the price/capability overlap with the F-150. I'm sure there's a market for such an offering, but it's likely a relatively small one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts