Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It's far too soon, so this is early concepting is all. It may take some cues I bet, but doubtful it is close.
I have a feeling the general look for the next Ranger is already there in the clay model.

The question: Is the next Ranger for the 2022MY (to be revealed in 2021) or is it for the 2023MY (to be revealed in 2022)? I guess this can hint how final the styling is.

PS: Didn't Ford finalized the basic look of the new Bronco months before the March 2018 teaser image was revealed? We know that the next Bronco will debut in 2020 at the earliest.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
New Ranger in NA has already had significant changes in chassis, suspension, powertrain and it just launched. I don't know for sure, but considering the timing of Bronco only months away, it is most certainly riding on either the same Ranger platform or a slightly modified version. Certainly not all new or eve significantly new.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
New Ranger in NA has already had significant changes in chassis, suspension, powertrain and it just launched. I don't know for sure, but considering the timing of Bronco only months away, it is most certainly riding on either the same Ranger platform or a slightly modified version. Certainly not all new or eve significantly new.
Initially reports were that the Bronco would be the first to arrive on the next gen Ranger platform. Many speculating that the next gen was being engineered to accept a V6 whereas the current Ranger was only designed for inline engines.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Initially reports were that the Bronco would be the first to arrive on the next gen Ranger platform. Many speculating that the next gen was being engineered to accept a V6 whereas the current Ranger was only designed for inline engines.
The next Ranger's chassis is most likely a modified version of the current Ranger's chassis.

Here's a Ranger T6 with a Supercharged V8 conversion.

If a Supercharged V8 fits, maybe a V6 can.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
As I understand it Bronco production is set to begin in December of 2020. If the next Ranger is set for 2021 then it makes zero sense for the Bronco to be the last product on an old platform rather than the first on a new platform.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't think Ford has confirmed anything yet, but that seems to be the general consensus. From Car and Driver:

"Additionally, it's important to remember that the Bronco will likely be based on the next-generation Ranger platform, so what we are seeing here is very likely doing double duty as an R&D mule for both vehicles, i.e., the new Bronco and the next-gen Ranger. The idea is that the Bronco, now rumored to be coming as a 2021 model, will make its debut on a fresh frame (rumors also persist of a new V-6 engine), and the next-generation Ranger will switch to the new frame and suspension when it is updated a year or two down the line."

·
Registered
316 Posts
The next Ranger's chassis is most likely a modified version of the current Ranger's chassis.

Here's a Ranger T6 with a Supercharged V8 conversion. If a Supercharged V8 fits, maybe a V6 can.
"Fitting" as an aftermarket conversion is one thing. Fitting from the factory and passing the necessary crash-testing is something completely different.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
"Fitting" as an aftermarket conversion is one thing. Fitting from the factory and passing the necessary crash-testing is something completely different.
Is Ford's 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 longer than a 2.3 EcoBoost I-4?

PS: The Ranger T6 was engineered to accommodate a long 3.2-liter inline-5 Duratorq.

How the long inline-5 is positioned in the chassis, the front bar is the bumper bar (RoTW Ranger).

·
Registered
316 Posts
How does Ford's EcoBoost V6 engines compare to the 2.3 EcoBoost in terms of length? I'm guessing it isn't longer.

PS: The Ranger T6's engine bay was engineered to accommodate a long 3.2-liter inline-5 Duratorq.

How the long inline-5 is positioned in the chassis, the front bar is the bumper bar (RoTW Ranger).
I won't pretend to know how the lengths compare, but as I said, I'm not sure physical size is the only issue. The current model was designed to accommodate the inline five, yes, but it didn't need to meet US crash standards in such a configuration. That Ford has chosen to skip a Raptor in North America until the next generation arrives tells me a V6 isn't plug-n-play. (A hotter 2.3 would have been acceptable, IMO.)

I do recall that when asked why there would be no engine upgrades for the Raptor in Australia, Ford said that it's a diesel market, and they didn't think the 3.0L V6 turbodiesel would fit even if they wanted to offer it. Again, I have no idea how the 3.0L compares to something like the 2.7T dimensionally, but it's an indicator that they're working with constraints.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I won't pretend to know how the lengths compare, but as I said, I'm not sure physical size is the only issue. The current model was designed to accommodate the inline five, yes, but it didn't need to meet US crash standards in such a configuration. That Ford has chosen to skip a Raptor in North America until the next generation arrives tells me a V6 isn't plug-n-play. (A hotter 2.3 would have been acceptable, IMO.)

I do recall that when asked why there would be no engine upgrades for the Raptor in Australia, Ford said that it's a diesel market, and they didn't think the 3.0L V6 turbodiesel would fit even if they wanted to offer it. Again, I have no idea how the 3.0L compares to something like the 2.7T dimensionally, but it's an indicator that they're working with constraints.
Making the current US Ranger inline-4-only might be a marketing thing, like how the Fusion was initially offered with I-4s only.

Trevor Worthington said majority of the 200 markets for the RoTW Ranger are 99% diesel markets.
He was specific though when he mentioned that the diesel 3.0 V6 won't fit.

If you look at the photos, the 3.0 diesel V6 plus its components is physically larger than the 2.7 EcoBoost V6.

Aside from marketing, it looks like another factor why there is no Ranger Raptor in North America, it requires Raptor-specific modifications to fit the long travel all-coil spring suspension. Ford probably wants local US Ranger production started with one chassis type first.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Trevor Worthington said majority of the 200 markets for the RoTW Ranger are 99% diesel markets.
He was specific though when he mentioned that the diesel 3.0 V6 won't fit.
What market and what gas engine is offered in the Ranger outside of North America? It must have been sold somewhere with a gas engine for Worthington to come of up with 1% choosing gas engine.>:)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
What market and what gas engine is offered in the Ranger outside of North America? It must have been sold somewhere with a gas engine for Worthington to come of up with 1% choosing gas engine.>:)
Lol
Let's see.... Ford offers a 2.5-liter Duratec option in the Middle East and in Brazil on some trim levels. Not sure what other markets outside North America has a gas engine option.

*The 2.5 Duratec in Brazil is a flex fuel version that can accept gasoline and ethanol.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Lol Not sure of all of them, but in the Middle East, Ford offers a 2.5-liter Duratec option alongside the diesels on the lower to mid trims.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Lol Not sure of all of them, but in the Middle East, Ford offers a 2.5-liter Duratec option alongside the diesels on the lower to mid trims.
The 2.5 TiVCT was sold in Australia up until 2015, it was also sold in Mexico until recently.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'm curious what Europe (outside of major cities) thinks about the future of deisel.
Will desiel be regulated out of existense, or is it here for the long run?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
From my circle and forums I read (mainly UK & German based) diesel is a bad word for new car buyers. That said diesel will always have its fans, plus the manufacturers especially Ford are pushing diesel engine vehicles down some markets throats. Which I think is hurting sales and customer perception.

Diesel has been kept alive IMO by the corporate fleet business. The kick backs and other favors from the Manufacturers made for gravy train diesel sales. But new regs etc are making diesel not so attractive, even with the lowering of the cost of diesel vehicles to be more in line with petrol vehicles diesel sales are disappearing.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts