1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford to retain three body styles on fourth-generation Mondeo- AutoNews
Luca Ciferri
Automotive News Europe -- November 30, 2011 11:58

MILAN – Ford Motor Co. will continue to offer three body styles when its fourth-generation Mondeo mid-size model goes on sale in European markets in early 2013, said Martin Smith, the automaker's design chief for Europe.

Ford is one the few automakers still offering station wagon, five-door and four-door versions for its European midsize segment model.

"The next generation Mondeo for Europe will continue to be offered in its current three body styles," Smith said on the sidelines of a company event here on November 28...

...Different market tastes

Different mid-size body styles have varying appeal in European markets.

Station wagons dominate in northern Europe, with this variant accounting for 94 percent of Mondeo sales in Denmark and 92 percent in Norway, ahead of 89 percent in Germany, Ford said.

Southern European buyers prefer the practicality of a tailgate in a five-door body that looks sportier than a wagon. This is preferred by 84 percent of Mondeo buyers in Spain and 72 percent in both Britain and France.

The more conservative buyers in developing markets still tend to prefer the traditional four-door sedan, which make up 97 percent of Mondeo's sales in Russia and 94 percent in Turkey, followed by Romania at 49 percent...

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20111130/ANE/111139996 <meta name=#ixzz1fE4KNsow

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Since Ford is bragging about how much they are saving with the volume of the 'One Ford', I think all markets should have access to a wide variety of models.

The US market seems to be the last thing Ford is considering lately.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I will wager there is no chance we get a wagon or a hatch here...... no chance.
Agreed, I just cant see it happening

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Since Ford is bragging about how much they are saving with the volume of the 'One Ford', I think all markets should have access to a wide variety of models.

The US market seems to be the last thing Ford is considering lately.
Yes indeed....I believe the buzz word statement Ford exec's spout off every chance they get is "Economies of Scale". But when questioned why this "economies of scale" which supposedly allows the company to offer multiple vehicle types off one platform at "affordable" cost to Ford & its customers, this "economies of scale" does not apply to the dreaded "station wagon" variant. No, no. no, when speaking about station wagons its all about the teenie tiny percentage of sales of past wagons in comparison to is sedan counterparts. Which IMO is hogwash.
If economies of scale really is a valid money saving tool, then it makes no sense for Ford to throw away what could be in worst case scenario sales of an extra 10% units.

The real reason IMO is all about the companies fear of losing the profits the CUV/SUV segment garner, which gives me the impression of a company that is not really that confident in its line up.

I am just glad it is not an issue for me any longer since I moved to Europe. Growing up in Canada and seeing Ford making these decisions to stop this and that it made so freaking pissed, and especially maddening was the stupid response from people saying "well just buy the Escape or Edge etc, its the same as a wagon just taller".
That response told me that these people have no clue about ones priority of driving dynamics being a major factor in ones decision on what vehicle to put in the driveway.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...The real reason IMO is all about the companies fear of losing the profits the CUV/SUV segment garner, which gives me the impression of a company that is not really that confident in its line up...
imho
NAH...it's just that they've got a good SCAM going with the SuvCuv [email protected];
charge an extra $5,000 per vehicle that way

the SCuv SCam won't dry up unless the consumers wise up...

...right, THAT^ won't ever happen. The Mfgs will just come up with a new scam

ps
the Yurps have the fuel-tax scam instead == nobody wins imho!

edit
the productions will not be that great, if you do the hatch it makes it much easier to do the Wagon.

to gain and even maintain market share in a Shrinking market requires you to attack on the margins and offer something that your competition does not. I wish ford would take a risk for once and leverage their Global midsize architecture and Flexible manufacturing, and offer what the competition won't a hatch and a Wagon on the next Fusion.

ford may need a another Small CUV tt augment the Escape, It is dangerous to have to many eggs on one basket, or to put it anpother way, it is too dngerous to spread the Escape to cover the entire Small CUV segment for ford.

&
Dear Ford: A Request - The Alternator blog
by Ross Musick (aka PREMiERdrum), posted Nov 30 2011 6:45PM

I'll be the first to admit: What car enthusiasts want and what car buyers want aren't typically the same thing...

...There was speculation that the "One Ford" mantra might snuff out the additional models, but those rumors have been put to rest as Ford has committed to wagon and 5-door hatchback versions of the upcoming Mondeo. This means that, theoretically, a wagon or hatchback version of the 2013 Fusion could be sold here. The car will already be developed, making US sales a seemingly low-risk proposition...

...Working in the Mondeo hatch's favor is the notchback look it has maintained: No geeky looking Gremlin-esque hatchback here! Most customers would have a hard time identifying it as anything other than a 4-door sedan, until they open the much more cargo-friendly liftgate that is. Besides coupe models of the Honda Accord and Nissan Altima, the family car segment is a vanilla sedan game. Offering customers the choice of a traditional sedan or a stylish, cargo-capable hatchback would really put Fusion on the map, let alone help meet the lofty sales goals Ford has set for the new model.

A 2013 Fusion hatch could quite possibly be the game changer that this segment has lacked in recent years. And a 2013 Fusion ST hatch? Goodness gracious, where do I sign up?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I always thought an MKZ Wagon would do well against the TSX Wagon, and 5 Series Wagon etc. Plus offering a Hybrid wagon I think would be smart.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think Ford should offer all 3 variants. A good looking midsize 5-door hatch and wagon might start to change some people's negative perceptions about these body styles. I know the 1st gen Mazda6 was available in these 2 bodystyles, but I think it's "a little smaller than the competition" interior space somewhat undermined the entire model line. With higher gas prices and stricter CAFE requirements, the time may be right to reintroduce these 2 bodystyles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts