Ford Inside News banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

(thetorquereport)

Detroit News reported today that 3 new vehicles will be produced at the newly upgraded Flat Rock Assembly Plant.

We all know that Flat Rock is the home of the current Mustang. Starting September 3, 2013, production of the 2014 Fusion kicks off, with 1,400 employees hired to produce the hot selling midsize car. Then next year, with lots of fanfare, the MY2015 Mustang will start production.

But there is something more. Also according to Detroit News, the 2016 MKS based on it's new platform will start production at Flat Rock in 2015. Moving from it's current production home at Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant, where the current Taurus and and Explorer are built. This all happens one year after production of the MY2015 Mustang kicks off.

Flat Rock Production Schedule:

2013 - MY2014 Fusion
2013 - MY2014 MKC (Louisville - Oct 2013?)
2014 - MY2015 Mustang
2015 - MY2016 MKS

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Well, that fits in with ...it's either based on a stretched Fusion, or the Mustang platform.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that fits in with ...it's either based on a stretched Fusion, or the Mustang platform.
Exactly, and if it's a stretched Mustang platform, it would be RWD/AWD to better compete with the high volume 5-Series and E-Class. The Audi A-6 is FWD/AWD but it's also the lowest selling in the class for that reason. I wouldn't think Lincoln would shoot for the bottom.

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Exactly, and if it's a stretched Mustang platform, it would be RWD/AWD to better compete with the high volume 5-Series and E-Class. The Audi A-6 is FWD/AWD but it's also the lowest selling in the class for that reason. I wouldn't think Lincoln would shoot for the bottom.
A6 is slower selling for Audi is behind it's rivals in terms of snob/prestige. MkS will stay FWD for the next gen.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
I doubt the MKS will be RWD.... I think Ford is moving models out of Chicago so they can demolish/sell the factory.... It is pretty old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts