Ford Inside News banner

360° camera on MKZ? - Autoblog

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LetsRace 
#1 ·
Anybody else see this:

Continental's 360-degree camera system goes next level with 3D over at Autoblog? The comment about it being on an MkZ is what caught my eye.

I would have started a new thread for this, but for some reason I was unable to do so. EDIT: If anyone wants to make a thread of this, feel free.

...Continental's tech has no blind spots and can actually spin around the car, if necessary. The key to it is four, fisheye cameras that are mounted at the front, rear and in the mirrors to provide a complete perspective. A special processor then stitches them all together into a single image.

Continental's stitching tech should hit the market "fairly soon," according to spokesperson Christian Schumacher in the video. Though, embedding it in the rearview mirror like it is here still isn't quite as realistic. "As for the image stitching technology, we cannot discuss specific timing or potential customer information," said a company spokesperson to Autoblog. The fact that the demo car is a Lincoln MKZ may hint at where we might see this first, though. Check out the video above for a full demo of the future of automotive cameras.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 360° camera on MKZ? (copied from stinky thread by 2b2)

Anybody else see this:

Continental's 360-degree camera system goes next level with 3D over at Autoblog? The comment about it being on an MkZ is what caught my eye.

I would have started a new thread for this, but for some reason I was unable to do so. EDIT: If anyone wants to make a thread of this, feel free.
Interesting, although the involvement of the MKZ may have nothing to do with Ford (would have been nice to see the hardware on the test car btw). Ford already has a system in the F-150 and a lesser variant of that system in the new Edge/MKX.

#3 ·
Re: 360° camera on MKZ? (copied from stinky thread by 2b2)

Interesting, although the involvement of the MKZ may have nothing to do with Ford (would have been nice to see the hardware on the test car btw). Ford already has a system in the F-150 and a lesser variant of that system in the new Edge/MKX.
May not have anything to do with Ford, but a German company choosing the MkZ out of all the other cars they could have seems like an odd choice (maybe too odd and random?? I cannot say). Nevertheless, seems like an interesting technology that could take the 360 camera to the next level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.