Ford Inside News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automotive News reported that the new BMW i3 will launch in the US with a base price of $41,350, not including the $925 destination charges.

Here is the Press Release posted by insideevs.com.

At $41,350, the i3 is $6,150 more than the Focus Electric at $35,200.

But it is a BMW and just about EVERYTHING is an option, and when optioned up to be comparable with the Focus electric, it takes about $10k in options, which brings the i3 up to about $52k.

Leather +$1500
Technology Package (backup camera) +$3000
Cold Weather Package (heated seats) +$1500
Navigation +$2000
Sunroof +$2000

The i3 offers and EV range of 80 - 100 EV miles, compared with the Focus Electric at EPA 76 - 100 EV miles.

The i3, like the Spark EV and soon to be announced Focus Electric, will offer the DC Combo Charger as an option.

BMW i3 Range Extender vs Chevrolet Volt

Then there is the Range Extender version of the i3. This model is to cost at least $4k more than the standard i3 at about $45,350, and when equipped like the standard Volt, we are at about $55,350.

While the i3 has a longer EV range at about 80 miles, double the Volt. The Volt's range extender offers 340 range extended miles for a total of 380 miles, compared with the i3 at only 100, and a total of 200 miles. Which means that if you are purchasing the range extender EV because you do often travel longer distances, the Volt is still a much better option.

Then there is the mpg in range extender mode. The BMW i3 offers about 31mpg combined, compared with the Volt's EPA 37mpg combined.

BMW i3 Lease

As far as a i3 lease is concerned, in the UK the i3 has a $565/mo lease. But the folks over at insideevs.com seem to think that BMW will lower the lease for the US between $499 and $399/mo.

Availability

With the BMW i3 not scheduled to be available in the US until 4th quarter 2014, much can change by then. For one, VW/Audi has a Golf EV and Audi A3 EV coming to the US about the same time, where the Audi may be more of the direct competition for the BMW than the Volt of Golf EV will be.

Then there is the next gen Volt that should be announced by 4th qtr 2014 for MY2015. GM has already been talking about 100 EV miles for the new Volt, which may be the case, but it is doubtful, since they are launching ELR with just 40 EV miles. Unless GM does something creative and offers two Range options for their plug-in hybrid/range extended vehicles.

But either way, we will see how it all works out in about 18 months when the i3 makes it to the US.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
found an 18 page downloadable .pdf at BMWgroup.com ...little checkbox near the bottom
"Documents for downloading"

interesting little thing so far
- fisherprice looks (like Leaf tho not as weird imho)
- tiny range extender & gastank
(dunno yet if ^ powers the wheels directly on occasion)
- most kWh of any *plug-in I know of (22kWh)
*PriusPlugIn = 4.4kWh
*C-Max Energi = 7.6 kWh
*Volt = 16.5kWh
··················
Chevy SparkEV = 21 kWh
FocusElectric = 23 kwh
Nissan Leaf = 24 kWh
Tesla 'S' = 60 or optionally 85kWh

Seems like (in typrical BME fashion) they're targeting a NARROW niche:
dedicated greenies who must have about double a pure EV's range
but NEVER intend it for a roadtrip...
...makes me wonder if Tesla is breaking the laws of Physics or sumthin?

ps TY for NOT post a photo, Bloggin

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
You can compare the Focus with the BMW 3-series?? No. Both are compacts, but BMW is a sport-luxury sedan, from Bayerische Motoren Werke, and the Focus is a mainstream compact from Ford. Same with the Focus electric and the upcoming i3. Not in same leage. I`m disappointed with the design changes from concept to production car of the i3. The magic is lost in the process, but the BMW brand make the difference for some customers.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
The comments on autoblog are all positive but I am sorry I am just not feeling this at all. It is not a BMW to me.

·
Registered
997 Posts
What was BMW thinking with the design? If Lincoln turned out something that looked like this, people would be all over it complaining. And BTW, I like the original Linocln C Concept design better than this BMW.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ feel I need to clarify that [thank]

-- "If Lincoln turned out something that looked like this, people would be all over it complaining."
x infinity!!

-- "And BTW, I like the original Lincoln C Concept design better than this BMW."
JUSTimho:

((tho considering how the X1 has a too-small to be actually useful 2nd row...))

You can compare the Focus with the BMW 3-series?? No. Both are compacts, but BMW is a sport-luxury sedan, from Bayerische Motoren Werke, and the Focus is a mainstream compact from Ford. Same with the Focus electric and the upcoming i3. Not in same league...
...the i3. The magic is lost
-- from what I've gathered, the i3 is premiumPRICED citycar...that is all. One which REQUIRES you own ANOTHER car, preferably a REAL one.
-- the Focus is a REAL car (not counting the F.Electric)
&
re: what "B.M.W." means in this case;
QUOTE from my GMI post
just thinking...
since this isn't "ultimate", we could take the "U" out of B-M-W
leaving B-M-double
then if we take the "D" for driving out we'd have B-M-ubble
THEN if we remove the "M" for machine:
"B-ubble"

...well whadaya know
/QUOTE

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Speaking about premium city cars ( there are many of them actually: BMW i3, Audi A1, Mini Cooper, Citroen DS-Line of compacts cars), Lincoln needs a premium compact car. A Focus based sedan? A small hatchback? I feel the Start concept is a good car to rethink and transform in a premium city car.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Speaking about premium city cars ( there are many of them actually: BMW i3, Audi A1, Mini Cooper, Citroen DS-Line of compacts cars), Lincoln needs a premium compact car. A Focus based sedan? A small hatchback? I feel the Start concept is a good car to rethink and transform in a premium city car.
The C concept was a good idea but the styling left a LOT to be desired.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The C concept was a good idea but the styling left a LOT to be desired.
I think you are rigth about the exterior style. The interior is a different thing: it looks premium,clean, modern and very upscale. Maybe Lincoln could work arround that interior and make a good job with the exterior, with the Focus platform

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I think you are rigth about the exterior style. The interior is a different thing: it looks premium,clean, modern and very upscale. Maybe Lincoln could work arround that interior and make a good job with the exterior, with the Focus platform
Exactly! I wonder if they can do a bench seat again 6 passenger seating was a huge point on the C Concept. Not sure how that would translate with modern crash tests... center air bag?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
saw a convo about a bench seat for the nextgen Navigator/Expedition - which might be a possible owner-modification using one from the nextgen F-150 ... for the Navi anyway since I expect trannie-buttons on the dash
but
I just can't/don't see 3-across seating as useful in a compact,
even a Pacer-redux compact

edit
wanted to repeat(?) that I'm extremely interested in what BMW's 'gambit' will mean about how much batteries-vs-petrol HP *and* Range will be required from competitors...
...kinda like, even tho the Bubble isn't pretty, it MIGHT be setting the bar for everyone else's future electrified cars - or maybe just the LOW bar?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Exactly! I wonder if they can do a bench seat again 6 passenger seating was a huge point on the C Concept. Not sure how that would translate with modern crash tests... center air bag?
Center airbag? Why not? Ford is the first with safety-belts air bags, why not a center one and 6 passenger car?. Looking at the new i3 from BMW, a flat floor make that possible. Maybe an electric C car for Lincoln can do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts