Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Product boss Hau Thai Tang is promising 9 new nameplates by 2023 to replace all of the products being phased out (Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Flex, Taurus, C-Max). That would mean 23 vehicles by 2023, up from 20 today.

http://www.autonews....3-nameplates-by

I have a hard time counting to 20 today but here is my best shot.

Fiesta
Focus
Fusion
Mustang
Taurus
EcoSport
Escape
Edge
Explorer
Flex
Expedition
F-150
SuperDuty
Transit Connect
Transit
Ford GT

F-150 Raptor
Focus RS
Focus ST
Fiesta ST

The 9 New Nameplates...(7 of 9 will be Trucks or Utilities)

Truck/Utility:
Bronco
Ranger
Maverick
Ford BEV
Courier Truck
Courier Crossover (My information shows two vehicles with the same number but a P or CX prefix)
Mondeo-based Utility

Other:
Transit Van AV
Focus Active

Some of the BEVs, HEVs, and PHEVs to note:

Explorer: 3.3L V6 HEV
Explorer: 3.0L PHEV (Global Only)
Escape: 2.5L HEV/PHEV
Maverick: 2.5L HEV
F-150: 3.5L EB HEV and a BEV (shhh!)
Bronco: 2.7L EB HEV
Mustang: 5.0L V8 HEV

Some Transit HEVs and a BEV too.

The Hybrid system on the RWD Fords are built into the transmission and not part of the engine which is why it can be applied to so many things.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Don't forget Aviator, Corsair..... But without specifics, Ford gives themselves a lot of leeway with 'nameplates', and a Explorer HEV and Explorer PHEV could be two nameplates for Ford.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I am not sure how they differentiate "new" nameplates exactly, but I do have what I believe to be an updated spreadsheet list of every vehicle out past 2026, and there sure is a lot new. And if you include Lincoln in the mix, the number is well into the double digits. Also, as Ford has stated many times now, there is more than 1 BEV that will be all new by 2023. Simple logic would suggest, that if you are going in heavy, why only do 1? That is just dumb.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I am not sure how they differentiate "new" nameplates exactly, but I do have what I believe to be an updated spreadsheet list of every vehicle out past 2026, and there sure is a lot new. And if you include Lincoln in the mix, the number is well into the double digits. Also, as Ford has stated many times now, there is more than 1 BEV that will be all new by 2023. Simple logic would suggest, that if you are going in heavy, why only do 1? That is just dumb.
Hmm care to share anything? Perhaps privately?

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Hmm care to share anything? Perhaps privately?
Because Ford is so secretive, then I must be as well. I will offer some comments and hope with minimal details, usually in the same vein as what Ford announces, but certainly no specifics. Best I can do. Best I want to do actually. And honestly, do you really want Ford to unleash all their plans?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm curious if this spreadsheet that you have include the list of actual nameplate names or just in codes? I remember seeing you mention that you got access of their upcoming vehicles in codenumbers. Is that what you see on nameplates or just only the codenumbers? Meaning you wouldn't know for sure if they are planning on bringing back the Thunderbird, for example. So if they are, you would only see the codenumber and not know specifically that this is the Thunderbird. Just wondering because I wish they would bring it back but they would likely turn it into a crossover though.

Because Ford is so secretive, then I must be as well. I will offer some comments and hope with minimal details, usually in the same vein as what Ford announces, but certainly no specifics. Best I can do. Best I want to do actually. And honestly, do you really want Ford to unleash all their plans?
I understand and respect that. I was also going to ask if you could share some info privately but understand your reasoning. Also, I would be afraid about spoiling myself with future plans to a point that I wouldn't be able to wait so long. By the way, are you an employee of Ford as far as high up as part of executive? Or did you get access to the list as an employee yourself via another Ford employee that is higher up? Sorry for all questions. I'm really curious about this list and wish there's a way I could access it but understand your reasoning not to share publically and privately. :)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There are 7 BEVs arriving by 2022 according to Ford, the C-EV(Mach1) is the only standalone Retail BEV.

There are several Transit/Connect BEVs and several F-150 BEV for 2021/22 which have a P702 code. It's possible most of those BEVs are geared for lower volume fleet or AV customers.

Ford will have a MUCH bigger Hybrid program than any other carmaker, but their BEV program is far less mature than GM, VW, Nissan, Toyota, etc. But I think the Ford C-EV will be the right product from the start, it's certainly more sensible to me than GM's BEVs and a little closer to what VW/Audi are doing. It may just be a matter of being late to the party but showing up in style.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I'm curious if this spreadsheet that you have include the list of actual nameplate names or just in codes? I remember seeing you mention that you got access of their upcoming vehicles in codenumbers. Is that what you see on nameplates or just only the codenumbers? Meaning you wouldn't know for sure if they are planning on bringing back the Thunderbird, for example. So if they are, you would only see the codenumber and not know specifically that this is the Thunderbird. Just wondering because I wish they would bring it back but they would likely turn it into a crossover though.

I understand and respect that. I was also going to ask if you could share some info privately but understand your reasoning. Also, I would be afraid about spoiling myself with future plans to a point that I wouldn't be able to wait so long. By the way, are you an employee of Ford as far as high up as part of executive? Or did you get access to the list as an employee yourself via another Ford employee that is higher up? Sorry for all questions. I'm really curious about this list and wish there's a way I could access it but understand your reasoning not to share publically and privately. :)
The list I have is code names/numbers.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The list I have is code names/numbers.
Any hint if some of these models will be global?

Here in Asia, Ford is in need of affordable models to replace the Fiesta and Focus after these models are dropped. Ford really needs to fill the gap between the subcompact EcoSport and mid-size Everest.

Hoping the Escape and/or yet-to-be-named compact SUV is not exclusive to North America.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

They can unleash them to me and nobody else ;) :p I'd be ok with that haha.

Reactions: pffan1990 and hbmf3

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
If Ford doesn't unleash plans, it is justifiable to speculate that Ford doesn't have plans - at least none that can pass muster with reasonable observers. What Ford has unleashed is widespread votes of non-confidence.

http://www.autoextremist.com

WOW! How many truths in this article. Here some of them:

"Let’s take Wall Street for instance. It views Ford differently. It sees a company with the F150 and little else". "Now I will be the first to admit that I am no fan of Wall Street and I’ve said so repeatedly in this column. We’re talking about a cynical institution that built up Elon Musk and Tesla while ignoring every single principal it stands for. They ran up Tesla stock with no signs of profitability on the horizon"

" Ford’s product cadence is out of whack, and it shows." "The new Bronco, which by all accounts and early assessments looks to be a sure-fire hit, is late. At least two years too late. We won’t see it until the end of 2020 and that is simply inexcusable."

"But the biggest issue Wall Street has is with Jim Hackett" " Hackett is a decent and nice guy who should be leading a think tank somewhere for Ford... But he is not a CEO. In fact, he is the wrong man, at the wrong time, at the wrong company."

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How may different ways is Ford going to have to say they are working on fixing their problems before people stop kvetching as their full time job? Hackett is a terrible communicator, but if you listen to everybody else at Ford I think it's pretty exciting. Hackett just needs to make sure those people are doing the work and that's his job right now. The results will speak for themselves but it ALWAYS takes an enormous amount of time and for the life of me I can't figure out why auto-journalists don't grasp this. Ford will be back, probably not for very long once again, but it always comes back. Ford and Hackett is trying to change Ford so it's not business as usual, but Wallstreet and the Board tend to be impatient with longterm strategies and they usually don't survive the CEO revolving doors in Detroit.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
How may different ways is Ford going to have to say they are working on fixing their problems before people stop kvetching as their full time job? Hackett is a terrible communicator, but if you listen to everybody else at Ford I think it's pretty exciting. Hackett just needs to make sure those people are doing the work and that's his job right now. The results will speak for themselves but it ALWAYS takes an enormous amount of time and for the life of me I can't figure out why auto-journalists don't grasp this.
They absolutely grasp that, but slam pieces get more page clicks.

Reactions: wingsnut

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ford needs to get the basic's wright first, the Continental I order had a hood that was way out of whack, trunk lid was the same just not as bad and the back doors on the drivers side was not adjusted correctly it was into far. The hood's driver edge at the top did not line up with the metal trim that runs along the side of the front windshield pillar. The hood did not line up with the fenders top edges too. The car had allot of rattles and creaks something a new car should not have. It was a real let down it looked like nobody put any effort into making the car wright. I love the Continental was going try to order a 2019 but if the quality is this bad I think I may pass. I went around the dealer lot and the MKZ, Expedition and Navigator had what appeared to be the best quality no wavy door and side sheet metal like the F150's. The 2019 MKC's hoods where hit and miss, mostly a miss with gaps so big on one side were the hood meets the top edge of the front grill usually the drivers side with gaps that looked like something from the 80's. Maybe Ford should not have made the Continental in a Mustang plant. Flat rock has always been hit and miss on Quality. I would know having owned several Mustangs from that factory. Even the F150's had allot of quality issues the front windshield pillar inside interior plastic trim pieces are warped that have the grab handles. Looking from the outside in of the front windows you could see the side pillars interior metal post and the window glue. Which should have been out of sight and covered up by the black border around the front windshield. Really disappointing I hope one of you insiders that work for Ford gets them to take notice of these quality issues. What I think is killing the Lincoln Continental is the bad quality the plant is putting out. I did not expect my Lincoln to have the same Quality of a Mustang. I expect it to be better on lining up the panels and get better gaps too. It would be nice if the Mustangs got more care too so the Continental would also. Sorry for the long rant I just want Ford to do better. I got pictures if any of you insiders want to get this to the wright people to fix these things. Sorry for the rant was really looking forward to my new Lincoln, now I'm back to square one and do not know what I want now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts