Ford Inside News banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
By the time Lincoln brings out the RWD MKwhatever, Cadillac will be bringing out Gen2 of the ATS. Ford likes to spend too much time on consumer clinics and marketing surveys instead of giving us what we want right now. The MKR groundwork has been done. Now take that and fine tune it and give us something we want to buy not something we have to settle on buying. (Example: MKS)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cadillac spent 5 years and $1 billion dollars to develop the ATS. Last I heard, Ford wants to maybe borrow something from the next gen Mustang. There aren't many things you can learn from GM aside from what not to do, but what they did with the ATS and the approach of the next CTS, Lincoln should stop and take note if they truely want to compete in the Luxury segment. If not, do what Acura did and declare they are no longer a luxury brand but rather an entry level luxury brand.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
ATS Designed to Make Cadillac Cool Again Says Marketing Chief - AutoGuide
July 31, 2012
by Colum Wood

Over the decades Cadillac has devolved into a brand who’s popularity is highest among those in retirement communities. A plan to change that has been in place for a decade now, focusing heavily on performance machines with Cadillac even honing its own performance V sub-brand to challenge German rivals like AMG and M. But the brand’s biggest push yet to target more youthful buyers comes with the youngest product in the lineup, the new ATS.

Designed as a direct rival to the iconic BMW 3 Series, Cadillac marketing boss Don Butler spoke candidly about the need for such a car during a recent press drive event in Atlanta.

“Cadillac has been handicapped because it didn’t have a product that was relevant to young luxury buyers,” admits Butler. With the ATS priced and sized at the entry level of the luxury market, without such a vehicle it’s nearly impossible to introduce first time luxury buyers to the brand.

The compact luxury sedan space is also the volume segment for luxury vehicles, and so without a model in that segment, Cadillac has also been missing out on volume sales.

Not having a car like the ATS means “we haven’t been cool,” says Butler. And so to compete Cadillac set out to build a genuine 3 Series rival, and not just in delivering the same basic vehicle in terms of size and price, or the usual General Motors philosophy of packaging plenty of features into a lesser car – a philosophy that has never worked to make any car a segment leader. Rather, explains Butler, Cadillac engineers and executives sat down and carefully plotted a plan.

More...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Lincoln now has to play catch up when they could have been in the segment years ago with the MKR.

Ford was quick to spend the money on Jaguar, Volvo and Aston Martin to bring out world-class stellar vehicles. It shouldn't be this difficult bring Lincoln back to the upper level again. Ford can do a proper LS Series this time and can do the updates to keep the vehicle fresh and interesting. Lincoln shouldn't be wasting money competing with Buick, Acura and the like but instead be going all out and live up to being the flagship Brand of the Ford Motor Company. The current Lincoln line is crap compared to the competition. The Z is a step in the right direction but that's all we know is coming because we don't know the whole plan.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The Z is a step in the right direction but that's all we know is coming because we don't know the whole plan.
Looks like we are getting a step in the right direction with the MKZ (unique body panels, greenhouse, engine choice, suspension tweaks).
So, will Lincoln continue this pattern?
Will all Lincolns be just that one 'step forward' from Ford?
Maybe this is what they need for volume, and many will claim it a success if it sells 20K 'step forward' Fords a month.
I guess in a way that would be a success, but if that is what they intend to do, I believe they should start a new Continental sub-division, and offer a few really unique upscale vehicles, and sell them only at stand-alone Lincoln dealers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The more I look at the ATS, the more I don't like it. While a step in the right direction for Cadillac's growth plan....All I see is a BMW 3 series size vehicle with a Mercedes like body profile and Cadillac front clip. The body design is not 100% original with bits and pieces from other Brands blended to look the part of a Cadillac to comfort the BMW, MB buyer to think the Cadillac fits the part. Plus the back seat isn't roomy enough for someone like me who is 6ft tall. But then Cadillac always went into new territory where Lincoln didn't or would not for reasons unknown to this day. For example, the 1982 Cimarron was nothing but a glitzy Chevy (we all know that)but was built and refined along the way. Cadillac learned from the experience and gave us the better Catera which gave Cadillac a vehicle that finally hit the formula: CTS.

Cadillac always takes chances even if the vehicle is a dud like Cimarron. Something was learned from it and improved for the next gen of that class vehicle. Lincoln on the other hand missed the Cimarron/ 3 Series class in the 1980's, passed the opportunity for an Allante type vehicle (they did show the Lincoln Vignale concept designed by Ghia in 1987 but that's as far as it went) and missed opportunity the past 12 years not refining/improving the LS, Town Car and Continental plus not giving us the over the top show car concepts like Continental Concept, Aviator Concept, Mark9 Concept, Navicross and MKR just to name a few.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
just re: the ATS
The more I look at the ATS, the more I don't like it. While a step in the right direction for Cadillac's growth plan....All I see is a BMW 3 series size vehicle with a Mercedes like body profile and Cadillac front clip. The body design is not 100% original with bits and pieces from other Brands blended to look the part of a Cadillac to comfort the BMW, MB buyer to think the Cadillac fits the part...
have you seen any ATS videos, TurboS40?
the still pix don't 'wow' me at all but imho it looks much better AND less derivative in action

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
ATS vs 3-Series - Consumer Guide Automotive

Part 1: Design

Exterior...
Interior...
Controls and Ergonomics...
Part 2: Drivetrains
...Entry-level ATS models come with a 202-horsepower 2.5-liter motor that’s so anemic it’s not worth further discussion.
Our focus here is on the turbocharged 4-cylinder engines available on each sedan, dubbed the BMW 328i and Cadillac ATS 2.0T. Both are 2.0-liter units, with BMW’s and Cadillac’s entries producing 240 and 270 horsepower, respectively...
Part 3: Handling
At the end of Round Three, the score is:
Cadillac ATS: 5________BMW 3-Series: 3

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Cadillac ATS: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - WSJ
By DAN NEIL
September 28, 2012

In targeting the BMW 3-series, the development team for the new Cadillac ATS compact luxury sedan hit the Bavarian legend in all of its most tender spots. First, as anyone who has driven BMWs over time will tell you, the 3-series isn't quite as involving from the driver's seat as it used to be. I'm sorry, it's true. The cars have grown larger and heavier, with less feedback in the wheel and slightly more relaxed reflexes, a consequence of a campaign to dial up the refinement to win over more conquest sales and, the company freely admits, more women.

The development engineers who built the new Cadillac ATS ... were less concerned about broadening an audience than about capturing one in the first place.

To do that, they went in the other direction, dialing up the sporting orneriness, and rather splendidly, too. The ATS's most notable dynamic quality is the sharp, almost twitchy responsiveness of its electric-power-assist steering. Grab a big handful of steering angle (with the ATS's racy, small-diameter steering wheel) and the car will give you a surprisingly strong yank in that direction. This thing changes direction like a Jack Russell terrier. Yes, the ATS feels a little busier at the wheel at highway speeds, and that won't appeal to everybody. Indeed, that seems to be the very point Cadillac is underlining.

Once turned in, the ATS's tensed, tarpaulin-tight suspension and 50/50 weight distribution (abetted, in the case of our test car, with adaptive magnetic dampers) helps the ATS shoulder through corners with minimal body roll and with significant Teutonic grip. Cadillac spent a lot of time flogging the ATS around Germany's 14-mile Nürburgring test course, and the character of that track—with its multitude of midspeed, constant-radius turns—has shaped the car in recognizable ways. Nowhere is this car better than midcorner, in third gear and about 3,000 rpm, around 60 miles per hour, with lots of steering input and steady throttle, with the mechanical limited-slip rear end helping it to carve a perfect, tire-squawking parabola...
...In some corners, the ATS feels more like a Lotus than a BMW.

The ATS's ride does not have the fluid suppleness of the 3-series', and certainly nothing like the BMW's management of noise and vibration. The acoustics of the ATS's optional 3.6-liter, direct-injection V6 (267 pound-feet of torque) are particularly heinous. And yet, insofar as the ATS chassis guys privileged cornering poise and sporting feel over ride compliance, favoring emotion over the numb averaging that afflicts a lot of cars' handling, I second that emotion.

The 3-series' other vulnerability is also a consequence of its incumbency: It is safe, almost rote, in the styling department. You can read the 3-series' conservative exterior design a number of ways. This is the most massive of BMW's mass-market cars, representing 30% of the company's sales volume world-wide. The car's global reach has, over time, imposed a rather bland internationalism on the styling, in order to appear to many markets and sensibilities, particularly China's.

Cadillac's ATS doesn't have any such territory to defend, and as a consequence the ATS's design could be bolder, more expressive, more interesting. As 100 out of 100 surveyed will tell you, if you park an ATS next to the comparable 3-series, the BMW simply wilts, visually...

MORE...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
2013 Cadillac ATS Turbo Full Test - Insideline
Here, Finally, Is the Caddy That Actually Zigs

By Josh Jacquot, Senior Editor | Published Oct 1, 2012

The ATS bettered the BMW 328i in all of our handling tests.

That the 2013 Cadillac ATS exists at all is a profound statement about the American brand's obsession with beating the Germans at their own game. That the ATS exists with a turbocharged 2.0-liter engine and a six-speed manual transmission also should be enough to make old Henry Leland — Cadillac's founding father — turn cartwheels in his burial plot at Woodmere Cemetery in Detroit.

Or, maybe not.

By the time of Leland's death in 1932, Cadillac had moved on from its original single-cylinder buggy with a tonneau roof and had begun mass production of a road-crushing 90-mph thunder sedan powered by a V16 and featuring a pioneering three-speed manual transmission.

None of this, of course, means the 2013 Cadillac ATS will achieve its goal of being the best sport sedan in this segment. But it certainly means Cadillac isn't afraid to try.

MORE...

&
a video I haven't seen (yet) hope it's appropriate

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

&
2012 BMW 328i vs. 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium - Comparison Test
The BMW 3 Series finally has a worthy American opponent.
Road&Track

By Lawrence Ulrich / Photos by Guy Spangenberg
October 3, 2012

...Enter the Cadillac ATS, a car crafted almost entirely in the BMW’s mold. Cadillac engineers have admitted that the BMW was their almost sole target during the ATS’s development, a bogey they chased with such focus that the two cars’ dimensions are nearly identical.

While each model currently offers three engine choices (including the soon-to-be-discontinued M3’s V-8), we pitted the 240-bhp 328i against the 272-bhp ATS Premium. Both are powered by direct-injected, twin-scroll turbo fours displacing 2.0 liters, as apples to apples as it gets...

·
Registered
997 Posts
2013 Cadillac ATS Turbo Full Test - Insideline
Here, Finally, Is the Caddy That Actually Zigs

By Josh Jacquot, Senior Editor | Published Oct 1, 2012

The ATS bettered the BMW 328i in all of our handling tests.

That the 2013 Cadillac ATS exists at all is a profound statement about the American brand's obsession with beating the Germans at their own game. That the ATS exists with a turbocharged 2.0-liter engine and a six-speed manual transmission also should be enough to make old Henry Leland — Cadillac's founding father — turn cartwheels in his burial plot at Woodmere Cemetery in Detroit.

Or, maybe not.

By the time of Leland's death in 1932, Cadillac had moved on from its original single-cylinder buggy with a tonneau roof and had begun mass production of a road-crushing 90-mph thunder sedan powered by a V16 and featuring a pioneering three-speed manual transmission.

None of this, of course, means the 2013 Cadillac ATS will achieve its goal of being the best sport sedan in this segment. But it certainly means Cadillac isn't afraid to try.

MORE...

&
a video I haven't seen (yet) hope it's appropriate

If anything, HM Leland is turning in his grave at how Ford messed up Lincoln over the past 10 years. Lincoln was developed by HM Leland way back to be better than Cadillac. Has Lincoln kept with its mission? The last real Lincoln was the LS.

Can only imagine what the ATS would be like with a V8 under the hood................

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
This video has been removed by the user.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
2013 Cadillac ATS 2.5L Review - AutoGuide
Taking the sport OUT of Cadillac’s sports sedan

By Sami Haj-Assaad, Oct. 17, 2012

A good sports sedan is the perfect combination of handling, refinement and performance. The Cadillac ATS seems to have that trifecta in its genes especially with the turbocharged four-cylinder model, and the V6, but how important is power to the sports sedan segment?

To find out, we piloted the least powerful ATS available, which is equipped with a 2.5L four-cylinder engine. The ATS is Cadillac’s brand new entry into the realm of BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-Class and the Audi A4, cars which have been perfected over many years of constant development and healthy sales.

The most significant advantage for the 2.5L comes in fuel-economy with a 22 mpg city and 33 mpg highway rating. Without trying, the ATS managed 26 mpg during our driving through country back roads and into city traffic...

...Overall, the 2.5L is the value choice, and is cheaper than the similarly powered Mercedes-Benz C250. Not only that, but the Cadillac is slightly better on gas with the Benz rated at 21/31 mpg. Additionally, all the other European sport sedans require premium fuel, where the Cadillac can get away with regular. Only the Audi A4 is cheaper than the 2.5L ATS, but is missing out on many of the luxury features that are expected at this level.

There is, however, one bigger issue with the 2.5L, and that’s Cadillac’s turbocharged 2.0-liter. For $1,805 more, the 2.0T puts the sport in sports sedan and offers 70 more hp and 70 more lb-ft of torque, available earlier in the rev-range, making for a far more exciting ride. It also makes just a small sacrifice in fuel economy with a 21/31 rating.

A seriously impressive new Cadillac, the ATS is a true sports sedan and deserves better. It would be a shame to put the car’s sublime chassis to waste with meager power from a budget engine...

MORE...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
this^ low-level engine-wise, is a(nother) way I hope Lincoln does the Mustang-co-platformed sportsedan(/coupe-cabrio) differently ... not "diluting" the sporting character. Heck I wouldn't want the base Ford Mustang to only get 202hp!
& I hope the MKuGa is able to handle ALL the more econoLux as-long-as-its-handles shoppers.

Just seems SO FAR that the V-series will be gung-ho but the level in between it and the 2.0T or 3.6 will be kinda missing - like there should be something between the 3.6's 321hp and whatever the V gets (assuming 500hp or there abouts)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think Cadillac still misses being paired with Oldsmobile at the dealers. It is trying to be both, and it could hurt the image it has worked hard to earn. Olds would have been able to offer the 2.5 and the 2.0Turbo, While Cadillac would start at the 2.0 Turbo, and go up from there.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts