Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Saturn Astra is totaled and I've pretty much much settled on a '12 Focus hatchback 5-speed as a replacement. I found one (an SE with 37k miles) for what i deemed to be a good price and signed a letter of intent to buy it pending 3rd party inspection (which has to be done onsite). Is there any early word on what i should have the mechanic look out for at this point?

My only concern right now is that with only 37k miles on it, its already on a second set of tires, not real high-end ones either. Im afraid this means the previous owner real thrashed around on it, but obviously thats pure speculation without any other knowledge. I checked the carfax, no redflags there. The oil had been changed at 4-5k interval and the tires rotated a few times at the dealer thats about all I'm seeing.

Anyone help? Thanks!

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Astra, Jaydee, you OK?

&
I'd suggest posting at a Focus-specific site like FocalJet to hear from a much bigger group that would know more (prolley)

...My only concern right now is that with only 37k miles on it, its already on a second set of tires, not real high-end ones either. Im afraid this means the previous owner real thrashed around on it, but obviously thats pure speculation without any other knowledge. I checked the carfax, no redflags there. The oil had been changed at 4-5k interval and the tires rotated a few times at the dealer thats about all I'm seeing.

Anyone help? Thanks!
I had to get new tires well before 30k for my little econobox. So I wouldn't rule it out on JUST that.
Remember reading that some(many?) Mfgs specify shaved-down tread on their OEM tires which is supposed to increase MPG a tiny bit, tho of course they don't last as long
(also that the OEM version of a retail-available same-name aren't necessarily really the same)
Hope that helps a bit...

...now you owe me/us

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Just posted on a Focus forum.

Yes, everyone is fine, we were rear-ended in the city, but not hard enough for the airbags to go off in the car that hit us (and obviously ours didn't go off). Both kids were in the back seat and they slept through the whole thing :confused: The airbag light came on in my car, they said the seatbelts needed replacing, and obviously the rear bumper. Other than that some electrical issues starting popping up. I continued to drive it 400+ miles through the weekend and brought the car in on the Tues after Memorial Day. Got the call last Thursday that the insurance company is totalling it :(

Maybe I'm just ultra gentle on my cars, but I didn't replace the tires until about 50k, and they certainly weren't very good tires to begin with (GY Eagle LS I believe).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm doing per my research so far. Looks like lots of problems with the DCT, and also some complaints about the MFT, neither of which my car will have. The only complaint that I might have to worry about is the a/c, I see there's a number of people who's a/c works poorly or intermittently right from day 1. Still trying to get info on the tires...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts