1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autosavant.net/2007/07/after-te...lallys-one.html

After Ten Months On the Job, Mulally’s “One Ford” Becomes Reality
www.Autosavant.net | By Igor Holas |07.23.2007

This is a rendering of the upcoming 2008 Ford Falcon from Australia. Under the “One Ford” strategy, the Falcon architecture will be developed into a full range of cars including the next Mustang.

Over past month, weeks, and days, there has been a series of announcements of future product from Ford:

- Ford will begin selling its new sub-compact, the Fiesta, in US in 2009; the concept of this car will be revealed in Detroit next winter. The car is practically identical to a new generation of the Fiesta in Europe, and will be assembled in Brazil
- The Ford Focus will be all new in 2011, built on a new global platform, and assembled in Wayne, Michigan
- The Focus-based Kuga and C-Max will be introduced in the U.S. in 2011 or 2012
- The Fusion and the Mondeo will be merged into a single project in their next generation, forthcoming in 2012 or 1013
- The Australia-only inline 6 cylinder engine will be replaced by the US-assembled Duratec 3.5l and 3.7l V6 engine, starting in 2010
- Ford will develop a full line of rear-wheel drive vehicles, such as Mustang, Falcon, Crown Victoria, and Explorer on a new global platform developed in Australia. The first vehicles on this new platform should appear in 2012

There are some interesting common themes among these introductions, the most obvious one being the global scope of each one of them. Every one of the announcements above makes Ford’s lineup more global, unifying models and platforms and engines. All of these introductions fall in line with the new mantra brought to the company by Alan Mulally: One Ford. Under this philosophy, managers are made to think of the Ford brand globally as a single global brand, instead of conglomerate of similar, yet unrelated local Ford brands. Under this philosophy, Ford now has a single product development department, with sections for each market, and under this philosophy, Ford is changing significantly, and changing for the better.

MORE AT LINK:
http://www.autosavant.net/2007/07/after-te...lallys-one.html

Igor

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
While this is great news, we seem to be talking at the product development level. I see this is only for the bread and butter brand Ford.
Did Mullaly decide that Ford could not handle more than one brand?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Aside from the great and interesting news in the article, the writer makes a lot of good points about perception and Ford being between a rock and a hard place when it comes to their critics.

These consideration aside, these news are exactly the proof of life I was expecting to hear from Dearborn. I used to be certain that if Ford was going to go belly up they weren't going to go down quietly but now I am even more certain that Ford wont go down at all. The complicated web of platform and engines and models is very easy to figure out once Mulally's approach is implemented and the savings coming from this approach will be crucial to Ford's future viability.

The Mercury and Lincoln brands will only benefit from this approach as more resources will be freed to development of new more exclusive product.

Thanks for the good news igor (Holas?), oh well! Never mind. . .

ndwariga said:
While this is great news, we seem to be talking at the product development level. I see this is only for the bread and butter brand Ford.
Did Mullaly decide that Ford could not handle more than one brand?
Don't forget that: Without a strong Blue Oval, there can be no Ford.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm glad to see this taking place. I'd been listening to Mulally discuss Ford's worldwide manufacturing processes, and what he described seemed to be an absolute mess. It may well have been what car manufacturers had to deal with in the past, but that doesn't make it any more attractive.

At the very least, though, this means that there will be little, if any of the problem that we aren't getting the best of what Ford has to offer.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
There is alot that could go long between now until the products that are global come to Market. I would not be too optimistic. Though I am a Alan will do well, its not like he is home free just yet.
:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts