1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first thread in the "Den"
just happened upon:

House passes bill taxing AIG and other bonuses
By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER (Associated Press Writer)
From Associated Press
March 19, 2009 8:33 PM EDT

WASHINGTON - Denouncing a "squandering of the people's money," lawmakers voted decisively Thursday to impose a 90 percent tax on millions of dollars in employee bonuses paid by troubled insurance giant AIG and other bailed-out companies. The House vote was 328-93. Similar legislation has been introduced in the Senate and President Barack Obama quickly signaled general support for the concept.

"I look forward to receiving a final product that will serve as a strong signal to the executives who run these firms that such compensation will not be tolerated," the president said in a statement.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif, told colleagues, "We want our money back now for the taxpayers. It isn't that complicated."

The outcome may not have been complicated. But the lopsided vote failed to reflect the contentious political battle that preceded it...

quite a bit more...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
congress can denounce "squandering of the people's money," ? They think that is their job or what?

·
Registered
152 Posts
While I do not condone what AIG did with their share of the bailout money, this is just unacceptable. It was written in their own stimulus bill that contracts signed before February 11th, 2009, were to be upheld and paid. Now they are going back and over their own rules by taking away the money.

If this happens, where does it all end? Who's to call the limits of what congress and the government does with our money or the private sector?

Here's a further layout of what's going on:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPlDffneO94

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts

·
Content Admin
950 Posts
In the UK, I do not think it would be constitutional to tax people for stuff in the past. Like, I will tax you for income you already earned last year..under a different tax bracket..I get the feeling its the same in the US, since we use the same basic common law.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
So when The liberals get really radical will they pass a tax on those who dont agree with them? Anti-gay marriage? prolife? This is unconstiutional in every way!
It is unconstitutional and it will never pass the senate. The brilliance of the measure is that a whole bunch of republicans vote of a tax increase and the are on the record on that. Talk about hypocrisy.

At least these radical liberals do submit to the house their radical measures. Imagine if Bush's illegal surveillance [on American citizens] program, or Bush's illegal torture program had been submitted to congress . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
152 Posts
You're mixing "Conservative" with "Republican". Just because one side has most of one idealogue, doesn't make it synonymous. There are such things as Conservative Democrats and Liberal Republicans, though both are rather rare. For instance, former Senator Chuck Hagel is a Liberal Republican, while Senator Ben Nelson is more of a Conservative Democrat.

You're foolish to blind yourself to that fact, Sobe. A bunch? Give me a number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts