Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chevrolet revealed the second-generation Cruze Wednesday, promising a larger, more efficient car that drives better than the sedan it replaces.

We're particularly excited about the new turbocharged, 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine, which makes 153 horsepower, an upgrade from the outgoing 1.8-liter naturally aspirated engine's 138 hp. Torque climbs even more significantly, from 148 pound-feet to 177 in the new mill. Peak twist can be called up between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm, which should make performance easy to access. Combined with a lighter architecture that slashes the Cruze's curb weight by 250 pounds (although the actual curb weight hasn't been released), the new four-door can hit 60 miles per hour in a respectable eight seconds. That's not hot hatchback territory, but it should be more than suitable for the average consumer.

That same consumer should also appreciate the new engine's economy. The Cruze now returns an even 40 miles per gallon on the highway and will cover 530 miles on a single tank, all the while running on plain old 87-octane fuel. There's also a diesel-powered Cruze model, although Chevy didn't release specific details, aside from saying that it will arrive in dealers in 2017, over a year after the gas-powered model's early 2016 on-sale date.

Despite the 250-pound drop in weight, the new Cruze has grown significantly. Its wheelbase is now the longest in the segment, with 106.3 inches of sheetmetal between the front and rear axles compared to 105.7 in last year's model, while the sleek new body cuts the coefficient of drag to just 0.29. The overall length increases from 181 inches to 183.7, though the new model is nearly an inch lower overall. That's both good news and bad news for interior space. Rear legroom is up from 35.4 to 36.1, but headroom is down in both the front and backseats by over half an inch.
Read More: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/24/2016-chevy-cruze-reveal/

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I sure hope the Focus does not follow suit with the Focus. The Focus already lacks sufficient headroom, and it cannot afford to lose anymore! I know people always moan about legroom, but even with the current wheelbase of the Focus, it should have been engineered better to allow proper head and leg room for all passengers.

My theory...regulations are forcing car manufacturers to produce sleeker, coupe-like designs for better gas mileage, while requiring thicker pillars and roofs for safety. A compact car today is less accommodating than the sub-compacts of the 80's and early 90's, while having substantially larger wheelbases and lengths.
A solution may be using higher grade, lighter materials for the structure, allowing a larger passenger area without adding weight.

By the way...the new Cruze looks like a cross between the Civic and Excel.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
It is very Honda Civic-esque

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think it looks great! Add that with the 250lbs weight loss and this thing is going to do well. I hate to admit it, but Chevy has been on a roll. As far as regular cars they have the best looking upcoming lineup with the Impala, Malibu, Spark, Cruze, and Volt. Sonic is the only one left needing redesigned.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I think it looks great! Add that with the 250lbs weight loss and this thing is going to do well. I hate to admit it, but Chevy has been on a roll. As far as regular cars they have the best looking upcoming lineup with the Impala, Malibu, Spark, Cruze, and Volt. Sonic is the only one left needing redesigned.
Nothing wrong with saying that, as they were in dire need of a good roll. Impala, Malibu and cruze were not exactly winning any beauty contests.
But I don’t hate saying in the slightest, that Ford has been on a bigger roll this year with,

New Focus
New Edge
New Explorer
New Mustang
New F-150
Focus ST
Focus RS
GT
New Raptor
GT350

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Nothing wrong with saying that, as they were in dire need of a good roll. Impala, Malibu and cruze were not exactly winning any beauty contests.
But I don’t hate saying in the slightest, that Ford has been on a bigger roll this year with,

New Focus
New Edge
New Explorer
New Mustang
New F-150
Focus ST
Focus RS
GT
New Raptor
GT350
I do agree Ford has done well overall, especially when it comes to performance cars. My biggest issue with this is the Focus, even with the refresh other than the RS and ST it looks a little dated me. I guess Im just ready for an all new one, hopefully with a weight loss and a better automatic transmission.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I do agree Ford has done well overall, especially when it comes to performance cars. My biggest issue with this is the Focus, even with the refresh other than the RS and ST it looks a little dated me. I guess Im just ready for an all new one, hopefully with a weight loss and a better automatic transmission.
Understood.
But as a Ford fan, I am happier to be wishing for a fresher look on the base Focus, then wishing for some kind of performance....like Cruze fans have to do.

And honestly, as the best selling car globally, it is not so bad.
At least better looking than the Mazda clone that is now the Cruze.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ford Focus is now one of the older cars in its segment so it's going to look a little dated, even after the recent facelift. The Focus needs to do well on a global level, Chevy not so much.

The Focus is probably not ideally suited to the US market because it is cramped compared to the competition, and it's getting worse by the year as other cars get bigger while achieving better gas mileage.

Ultimately, this is a segment that moves on pricing in the US, more so now that gas prices are not a critical deciding factor. So whoever can sell these cars as cheaply and profitably as possible gets the prize.

In either case, the Focus has good bones but the rest of it is due for a major rework and I'm sure that's a big priority for them considering the importance of this segment on a global scale and their dominance on the sales chart.

Just remember, Focus is the bestselling car in the freaking world, LOL. Chevy is an amateur right now.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm just hoping for a more expressive design for the next Focus. The newly refreshed on isnt bad, just idk something about it in non ST doesnt appeal to me. They did improve the center stack which was the last one had way too many buttons. I do think the next one will have a little longer wheelbase to allow more rear seat room though. Just compared to the current Cruze this one looks light years better, even if it is very Civic like. Still couldnt bring myself to buy anything from GM though.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understood.
But as a Ford fan, I am happier to be wishing for a fresher look on the base Focus, then wishing for some kind of performance....like Cruze fans have to do.
Why hasn't Ford replaced the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine in the facelifted USDM Focus with the new 1.5 Ecoboost?

The Cruze now has a new 1.4 Turbo that produces 153 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque, along with a matching 250 pound weight loss which should put the new Cruze in the 2800 lbs area since the current sooon-to-be-replaced gasoline Cruze models weigh just over 3000 lbs. This would make it lighter than the Focus 1.0 EcoBoost sedan which weighs 2912 lbs.
I think the USDM Focus will eventually need that 1.5 Ecoboost.
That added cost 1.0 EcoBoost option in the USDM Focus over the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine is really positioned oddly in the lineup since the 1.0 EB is a step up from the naturally aspirated 1.6 liter engine, not the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Why hasn't Ford replaced the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine in the facelifted USDM Focus with the new 1.5 Ecoboost?

The Cruze now has a new 1.4 Turbo that produces 153 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque, along with a matching 250 pound weight loss which should put the new Cruze in the 2800 lbs area since the current sooon-to-be-replaced gasoline Cruze models weigh just over 3000 lbs. This would make it lighter than the Focus 1.0 EcoBoost sedan which weighs 2912 lbs.
That added cost 1.0 EcoBoost option in the USDM Focus over the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine is really positioned oddly in the lineup since the 1.0 EB is a step up from the naturally aspirated 1.6 liter engine, not the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine.
I was really hoping they were going to put the 1.5 Ecoboost in the Focus. It offers more power and torque than the 2.0 while delivering better gas mileage. The 2.0 is not a bad motor, but could use a little more grunt. The 1.0 still strikes me as odd as it costs more, has less power, and doesnt get a lot better fuel economy over the 2.0 four. Hopefully the next gen will bring about the 1.5 as well as the more powerful 1.0 (138bhp) 6-speed manual, and 9-speed auto (DCT is GARBAGE!!!!).

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

Reason? Short answer--Cycle plan timing. Everything today has been planned out many years prior, and everything being planned currently, will impact years outward. Reacting to every single competitors latest introduction is rarely (key word here) a good long term strategy. This is probably not one of them. There is a whole family of new engines in development. Lots of changes coming, but obviously on Ford’s development time frame.

Oh, and btw, that cruze rear end is just awful.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reason? Short answer--Cycle plan timing. Everything today has been planned out many years prior, and everything being planned currently, will impact years outward. Reacting to every single competitors latest introduction is rarely (key word here) a good long term strategy.
It's not just reacting to a single competitor, VW has a new 1.8 turbo and Honda will have a new 1.5 turbo and i'm sure more will follow in the US (most likely the Korean brands).

I guess this means from the beginning Ford planned only for the the European Mk3 Focus to have a full range of advanced EcoBoost engines.
With all the EcoBoost talk at the beginning of the decade, you'd expect that by 2015 the USDM Focus would be more closely aligned to the gasoline Euro models in having a near all-EcoBoost lineup.

I wonder why the compact USDM Ford models didn't get the same attention as the larger USDM Ford models and the entire european Ford lineup when it comes to EcoBoost engines considering it's a very competitive market. Is the compact car segment not important enough in the US?

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
It's not just reacting to a single competitor, VW has a new 1.8 turbo and Honda will have a new 1.5 turbo and i'm sure more will follow in the US (most likely the Korean brands).

I guess this means from the beginning Ford planned only for the the European Mk3 Focus to have a full range of advanced EcoBoost engines.
With all the EcoBoost talk at the beginning of the decade, you'd expect that by 2015 the USDM Focus would be more closely aligned to the gasoline Euro models in having a near all-EcoBoost lineup.

I wonder why the compact USDM Ford models didn't get the same attention as the larger USDM Ford models and the entire european Ford lineup when it comes to EcoBoost engines considering it's a very competitive market. Is the compact car segment not important enough in the US?
With RS and ST, there will be a total of 3 EcoBoost engines for NA.

1.0L
2.0L
2.3L

I don't think anyone can touch that.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
For anyone wondering how I feel about the new design, particularly the rear end (nobody), I'd like you to feast your eyes upon my ****ty shop.

compared to

The front end is nice though. Also I dunno what the frick is going on in the lower rear bumper, that's a mess. What are they trying to make it look like? Fog lights?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With RS and ST, there will be a total of 3 EcoBoost engines for NA.

1.0L
2.0L
2.3L

I don't think anyone can touch that.
I was referring to the regular volume models, not including the high-performance ST and low-volume (imoprted from Germany) RS model.
Bulk of the USDM Focus range still relies on the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine. The only regular Focus with an EcoBoost is the "SE", where you have the 1.0 EcoBoost as an option over the naturally aspirated 2.0 liter engine.
As I mentioned before, its odd because the 1.0 EB is a step from the naturally aspirated 1.6 liter engine just like in the Fiesta and European Fords.

@wingsnut, any chance Ford of North America is saving the 1.5 EcoBoost for the Mk4 Focus?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just for fun, let's throw in the current gen (soon-to-be-replaced) Elantra.

For anyone wondering how I feel about the new design, particularly the rear end (nobody), I'd like you to feast your eyes upon my ****ty shop.

compared to

The front end is nice though. Also I dunno what the frick is going on in the lower rear bumper, that's a mess. What are they trying to make it look like? Fog lights?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts