Ford Inside News banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-New 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC: This Is It!
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 10:53 am | Posted by John Halas | Carscoops

The first images of Mercedes-Benz's new GLC that replaces the boxy GLK compact SUV have trickled on the web.

A rival to Audi's Q5, (they forgot the Lincoln MKX) BMW's X3 and Volvo's XC60, the GLC was introduced today during a special event in Stuttgart, Germany, and will go on sale in Europe later this year, with North America to get the SUV in mid-November at as of yet, undisclosed prices.

Check out carscoops for more images

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Very nice! Mercedes is on a roll.

The MKC, RDX, NX are not global products like the others, certainly not European products where this product is being announced so it's not surprising those cheaper 'lesser' options are not mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The competition is growing, but the MKX still brings more luxury and looks more 'finished'.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new GLC reminded me of something. Could it be that the 1930s taxi cabs were actually the first CUV/SUVs?

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the outgoing one, but find this pretty sharp too. I think that the MKX could do well against this, as long as Lincoln can get people into their showrooms to discover it!
I hope the marketing for the MKX is more luxury sporting, unlike the rather strange, slow MKC marketing.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Some guys here are wrong. The Mercedes-Benz GLC , based on the COMPACT C-Class, compete against the Lincoln MKC, Audi Q3, BMW X3 and Lexus (extremely horrendus) NX. All are COMPACTs crossovers. The Lincoln MKX is a midsize crossover that compete agaisnt the Mercedes-Benz GLE (former ML) , Audi Q5, Lexus RX, BMW X5.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Some guys here are wrong. The Mercedes-Benz GLC , based on the COMPACT C-Class, compete against the Lincoln MKC, Audi Q3, BMW X3 and Lexus (extremely horrendus) NX. All are COMPACTs crossovers. The Lincoln MKX is a midsize crossover that compete agaisnt the Mercedes-Benz GLE (former ML) , Audi Q5, Lexus RX, BMW X5.
This. That said, the Q5 isn't in that segment. Oh and don't forget the Macan and Cayenne on those segments.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yeah, what's up with that guy anyway? ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2016 Mercedes-Benz GLC300 4Matic Quick Spin
autoblog

Mercedes-Benz product guru Bart Herring strode to the middle of a crowded conference room in Atlanta and succinctly explained the 2016 GLC. "What's different from the outgoing car? Everything."

That's getting right to the point, and it's accurate. The GLC is lighter, larger, and more comfortable than the long-running GLK that it replaces. It's wrapped in a simple yet elegant design that's a departure from the polarizing looks of its off-road-themed predecessor, and the "C" in the name now clearly aligns it as the SUV counterpart to the C-Class sedan. We'll always have a soft spot for the GLK, but the widespread appeal of the GLC is undeniable.

Driving Notes

The GLC300 runs Mercedes' widely used 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, rated at 241 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque. Maximum twist is served up at just 1,300 rpm, which makes passing smooth and easy. We pick off semis and slower moving traffic with confidence. During these bursts of acceleration, we notice the engine note, which has a deep timbre.

The turbo four is a solid replacement for the GLK's naturally aspirated V6. Still, we like that engine. It serves up 302 hp in no-frills fashion. But Mercedes is moving away from six cylinders, inline with market trends, and this turbo delivers 20-percent better fuel economy. Though the I4 and V6 are both rated at 273 lb-ft, the turbo's max output is available much sooner. Coupled with the lighter weight, it almost makes up for the turbo four's 61 fewer hp. 0-60 times are expected to be comparable, Herring says.

The GLC's nine-speed automatic transmission replaces the GLK's seven-speed auto gearbox. The new transmission shifts smoothly when we're cruising, though it will hold gears longer in Sport and Sport+ modes when we want to spice things up. We pull the paddles during acceleration, but found this sophisticated unit is best left to its own devices.

We spend most of our test in a 4Matic all-wheel-drive version, which provides a little extra peace of mind on a chilly, wet morning as we navigate the busy highways and quiet rural routes of northern Georgia. Generally, it's hard to actually test all-wheel-drive capability on the street, but we definitely notice when we don't have it.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Our tester starts at $41,875, and with options like the Sport, Multimedia, and Lighting packages, tops out at $57,320. It's a nice vehicle, but it's not cheap."

At about $8k less, the MKC has it's advantage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked at getting a GLC before I bought my MKC a couple weeks ago. The MKC is better for these reasons:

1) The Off-Road package is not available on the GLC in the U.S. and that package is the only way to get the Snow Mode setting. Which means the only transmission settings available on the GLC are Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+. For some odd reason Mercedes thinks an SUV needs two Sport modes standard but no option for the Snow Mode. The MKC intelligent AWD is continuously adjusting the system as needed, which uses more gas than systems which let you choose snow mode when you need it, but I live up north so I'd rather have it all the time than never.

2) The Mercedes active lane keeping system is one of the first but they are still using their old technology. First it beeps at you and then after you go over the line it will brake the opposite side wheels to slow you down and drag you back to your lane. The MKC can turn off alerts and just actively steer you to stay within your lane without braking.

3) 240hp is the only GLC option in the U.S., (no hybrid here either.) My MKC has 285 hp.

4) The Mercedes will cost sticker price, and you have to order and wait months to get one loaded with the active keeping systems. $57,400 vs $51,400 sticker on the MKC, plus the MKCs are in stock loaded, plus they will negotiate a lower price, plus Lincoln gives another $2k rebate after negotiating, for $46,700 end price, more than $10k savings comparably equipped.

5) Mercedes has 4% financing, Lincoln has 0% financing for 60 months, saving thousands more each year.

6) I was offered KBB value for my trade in from Lincoln, but way below value from Mercedes, and when I questioned it they criticized my cheap American product that isn't worth much to them. Insulting your customers to avoid negotiating doesn't make for a sale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts