Ford Inside News banner

...and now, my 2009 MKZ has been replaced...

Tags
mkz replaced
14K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
....due to the fact that the warranty is about to expire in a month. Although it has been extremely reliable (only technical issue was dead battery), I don't feel comfortable driving a car without warranty and I didn't want to spend a fortune on an extension so I thought this was the right time to switch. I have to say though that walking away from it on the dealer's lot felt a bit strange - after all, we had it for 2 1/2 years, it was our first Lincoln and it NEVER let us down. But since Lincoln doesn't have a comparable vehicle right now, I had to look elsewhere. However, I'm looking forward to the new MKX which might make it into my driveway someday. My mother is now driving my 2013 MKZ and she really enjoys it. It's a huge step up from the 2009 which she had before.

But here it is: My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L V6 4x4, White exterior, drak Brown interior. Options: California Appearance Package and CD-Player. I leased this vehicle as well - this time for 39 months.

See less See more
#2 ·
....due to the fact that the warranty is about to expire in a month. Although it has been extremely reliable (only technical issue was dead battery), I don't feel comfortable driving a car without warranty and I didn't want to spend a fortune on an extension so I thought this was the right time to switch. I have to say though that walking away from it on the dealer's lot felt a bit strange - after all, we had it for 2 1/2 years, it was our first Lincoln and it NEVER let us down. But since Lincoln doesn't have a vehicle right now, I had to look elsewhere. However, I'm looking forward to the new MKX which might make it to my driveway someday. My mother is now driving my 2013 MKZ and she really enjoys it. It's a huge step up from the 2009 which she had before.

But here it is: My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L V6 4x4, White exterior, drak Brown interior. Options: California Appearance Package and CD-Player. I leased this vehicle as well - this time for 39 months.

beautiful, congrats LincolnFanFL

#3 ·
beautiful, congrats LincolnFanFL
Thanks, jose!

I will be loyal to Lincoln - that's for sure. I enjoyed driving the MKZ so much, I'm planning on getting a MKZ BL once the lease of the 2013 expires - which will be in about a year. At that point, my mum will take over the Jeep.:thumb:

#7 ·
congrats on your new "vehicle", LincolnFanFl :joyous:
&
without prying into your family situation
(unless you don't mind...
)
how is it that you're replacing a Z with a large(ish) Cuv??
Thanks, 2b2!:thumb:

Well, the reason for replacing the 2009 MKZ with this - I think they call it 'SAV' :tongue: - is that we thought it would be great to own a vehicle were you can sit a bit higher and get more into the trunk. Having two MKZs (or two sedans) wasn't so versatile. A couple of days before I made the switch, I bought a huge picture/artwork which simply didn't fit in our MKZs. Although it was close, I managed to get it into the Jeep - and that's exactly why I got it.

Personally, I prefer driving sedans but I don't mind a change now and then - and as I said, it will only be for a year before the next MKZ will be on my wishlist - and this time (due to the 39-month lease on the Jeep), I will be leasing it for 3 years and driving it for two. I really enjoy breaking in the cars for my mother who is actually driving much more than me.

The fuel-consumption - as far as I can tell so far - is almost identical to the one of the 2009 MKZ which, IMO, is amazing. This Jeep is heavy, has 4x4 and runs on regular. I assume the 8-speed automatic is responsible for that so in case Lincoln decides to go with more gears on the upcoming MKZ-refresh, I think that's a good thing. The 8-speed on the Jeep makes it feel quite powerful and peppy - although it is 'just' the V6 with 290hp. They actually managed to match the 2013 V8 0-60 times on the 2014 (and up) V6-model. That's why I simply couldn't justify paying an additional $3,500 for the V8 with its lousy MPG-rating in stop-and-go traffic - because that's were I'm mostly at.

Oh, and BTW, this is my first white vehicle EVER!:joyous:

#8 ·
Congrats on the new ride!

Damn we never got a shot of my LS with your MKZ while you had it :(

[edit] I forgot you had 2 MKZs :facepalm:

#9 ·
Nice! The GC Summit will be on my short list for the replacement of my leased MKX in early 2016. Of course, the new MKX will also likely be up there on my list too... but not if it still has the exact same version of MFT and 'just' a 6-speed trans.

What I don't like about the GC is that (I feel) the 3.6 is under powered and the 5.7 is just plain old. I don't put enough miles on a vehicle to opt for the diesel either. What the GC needs IMHO is a more modern OHC V8 or maybe they can DI and TT the 3.6. Also, I find that UConnect is kind of 'cartoonish' and I don't like that you have to 'accept' the terms of use upon each start.

Do the rear door handles unlock the vehicle like the front ones?

#12 ·
Nice! The GC Summit will be on my short list for the replacement of my leased MKX in early 2016.
By then, the GC will have received an additional refresh before the all-new version is scheduled to launch late 2017.

What I don't like about the GC is that (I feel) the 3.6 is under powered and the 5.7 is just plain old. I don't put enough miles on a vehicle to opt for the diesel either. What the GC needs IMHO is a more modern OHC V8 or maybe they can DI and TT the 3.6. Also, I find that UConnect is kind of 'cartoonish' and I don't like that you have to 'accept' the terms of use upon each start.
Yeah, a TT V6 would be nice - and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the future. Right now, the 3.6 was the best choice for me because I don't tow anything and the other two options would have been much more expensive. I was thinking about the Diesel just to test something new but with the DEF and DPF technology and the hot weather in Florida, there were simply too many concerns. What I heard based on other stories is that the V6 prior to MY14 was indeed sluggish and unresponsive but that the 8-speed did miracles. While it's certainly not a racecar, it really amazes me what they could get out of this engine. It is very efficient!

What I like about Uconnect is the Android-App with the lock/unlock- and remote-start feature. That's kinda cool..

There are certain things I like better on the Jeep and others where my MKZ has the edge. Mostly, the differences are minimal - like the fact that the Jeep doesn't display any audio-info about songs on the main screen in the speedometer. On the other hand, the 19-speaker Harman/Kardon sound-system blows the THX away - and not just due to its power. I also like the tire pressure monitoring on the Jeep which displays the exact psi in real time on each individual tire. However, I miss my show-effect pano-roof on the MKZ - my mum is getting all the attention now. The stop & go ACC on the Jeep is fun, too....

Do the rear door handles unlock the vehicle like the front ones?
I just tried and to my surprise, they don't - unless I'm doing something wrong. Fortunately, I don't have to open them too often...

#22 ·
haha in my defense (or their defense) Lincoln is not sold here haha
same for me

I'd have to cross hundreds of miles of desert (to LasVegas)
or worse
go over the Donner Pass (ref: cannibalism) to California

BUT
what just hit home is
anyone buying a Lincoln in Nevada ( - LV ) will miss out on all the work being put into the dealership/ownership "experience"

#23 ·
Haha it is kind of expensive to import a Lincoln
same for me

I'd have to cross hundreds of miles of desert (to LasVegas)
or worse
go over the Donner Pass (ref: cannibalism) to California

BUT
what just hit home is
anyone buying a Lincoln in Nevada ( - LV ) will miss out on all the work being put into the dealership/ownership "experience"
life is not fair haha
To import a full-MKZ would cost more than $100k :(

#24 ·
My neighbor is a retired GM employee who typically drives Cadillac. He just purchased a loaded black MKZ and surprised the heck out of me. I have yet to talk to him about it, can't wait. He is the type who liked to rub in the fact that Lincoln is limping along relative to Cadillac.

I know this sounds like BS as I typed it, but on my kids lives I swear this is a true story.
The car is dam sexy too.

#25 ·
My neighbor is a retired GM employee who typically drives Cadillac. He just purchased a loaded black MKZ and surprised the heck out of me. I have yet to talk to him about it, can't wait. He is the type who liked to rub in the fact that Lincoln is limping along relative to Cadillac.

I know this sounds like BS as I typed it, but on my kids lives I swear this is a true story.
The car is dam sexy too.
Doesn't he still get a GM discount as a retired former employee?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.