·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Aussie Set to Reshape Lincoln

GoAuto.com.au
28 may 2012

By Terry Martin

FORD Australia designer Peter Jones has been named interior design manager for the Ford Motor Company’s Lincoln luxury car brand.

To be based at Blue Oval headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan, Mr Jones takes up his new position early next month and will report to Lincoln director of design Max Wolff – a fellow Australian and former colleague who moved to Lincoln in January 2011 after 12 years with General Motors.

Mr Jones and Mr Wolff both graduated from Monash University in Melbourne in 1993 with a Bachelor of Industrial Design.

At graduation, Mr Jones received an encouragement award from the Design Institute of Australia and immediately went to work for GM Holden, while Mr Wolff joined him at GMH in 1998.

Mr Jones moved to Ford Australia’s design studio seven years ago and most recently served as interior design manager for the new-generation Ranger one-tonne utility.

He was also lead exterior designer for the FG Falcon Ute, working on the ‘Orion’ ute program under former Ford Australia design chief Steve Park.

Ford Asia Pacific and Africa design director Christopher Svensson said this week that Mr Jones’ appointment “not only proves that Australian know-how is highly regarded within the Ford Motor Company but also shows that highly accomplished Australian university graduates can confidently compete on the global automotive stage”.

Mr Svensson added that Ford’s internal global design competitions for key new ‘One Ford’ model programs had highlighted “a wealth of talented designers around the world”.

“The natural evolution of this process is to rotate key talent throughout our global design studios,” he said.

Mr Jones’ appointment in the Lincoln studio is for three years.

More at the LINK

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mr. Wolff has done a good job thus far, hopefully this will work out just as well. Australians seem to have a good understanding of how to design the prototypical American car.

Works for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. I look forward to the results. Currently, lincoln models have interesting detail but the overall design is lacking some cohesion (not between models, but between the front and rear and everything in between). New MKZ is a great start.

That's an odd assignment though, going from Ford Aus to director of interiors for Lincoln.

Here's the current Series II FG G6E Turbo interior (top of the line model)

Nice, but luxurious?........

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...the overall design is lacking some cohesion (not between models, but between the front and rear and everything in between)....
I strongly disagree with the part I bolded

my favorite jibe is that the CURRENT Lincoln lineup's styling is only of interest to an "automotive anthropologist"...
...with all the extinct styles STILL in production

one of ^those facepalms will come off WHEN the new Z is on sale :toetap:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Any idea when the MKZ online build and price will launch? I wonder if the pricing for the hybrid will still be the same price as the regular models? I'm shopping this car and the new Fusion to replace my 6 year old Accord. (I only have 24k miles but I'm just a bit tired of it, plus I have terminal car fever - ha!)

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Any idea when the MKZ online build and price will launch? I wonder if the pricing for the hybrid will still be the same price as the regular models? I'm shopping this car and the new Fusion to replace my 6 year old Accord. (I only have 24k miles but I'm just a bit tired of it, plus I have terminal car fever - ha!)
tho I don't believe Fomoco has given a clear idea of the Z's Job1,
I have a feeling it's November
& ordering info iirc usual dribbles out by a month before that = when the 'Order Book' opens
however
the Fusion's online build for example is so far preliminary & imho = incomplete (interior colors imho)
iirc2, the Fusion's Job1 is by the end of June

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have you read this man's resume as shown here? Oh goody! He can design trucks! That means he must be perfect for designing for an American brand...

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ YW, scford58

Have you read this man's resume as shown here? Oh goody! He can design trucks! That means he must be perfect for designing for an American brand...
well...
Mr Jones moved to Ford Australia’s design studio seven years ago and most recently served as interior design manager for the new-generation Ranger one-tonne utility.

He was also lead exterior designer for the FG Falcon Ute, working on the ‘Orion’ ute program under former Ford Australia design chief Steve Park.​

to me kinda sounds like Lincoln-specific/exclusive SUVs (GRwdP Navigator/Aviator) MIGHT be somewhat more believable now

&
Originally Posted by MonaroSS @ GMI
Don't forget that he is not starting or finishing work with a 'new' employer or in a new field. With the 24 hour computer linking of design there are people from around the globe working on any one project. For all we know he was already working on the Z, but that they want him in the US to get more involved in the next project...
...And when he gets back...he can still be working on Lincolns... ..it's a new telecommute world.

·
Registered
997 Posts
WOW! Aussie-exterior and interior designers......Now all that's missing is an Aussie-RWD platform Mustang, Thunderbird, Continental and Mark9.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts