Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cadillac U.S. sales chief Bill Peffer is out after less than 10 months, the brand's third head of sales to leave in two years as the executive turnover continues inside General Motors' sales organization.

Peffer's departure marks the latest executive churn at Cadillac, which is trying to leverage its rejuvenated vehicle lineup to close the sales gap on German rivals BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

Peffer was named to Cadillac's top U.S. sales post in October 2013, from his previous job as CEO of Nissan Australia. He replaced Chase Hawkins, who was in the job just 13 months before being dismissed from GM in June 2013 for an undisclosed policy violation.

Peffer was picked by Bob Ferguson, senior vice president of global Cadillac, who in recent months has been spending much of his time in Washington, D.C., helping to steer GM's response to its ignition switch recall.

Ferguson, GM's top lobbyist before being picked by former GM CEO Dan Akerson in October 2012 to lead Cadillac, is likely to transition out of the Cadillac job and shift back to his Washington position full time, according to GM insiders.

Peffer leaves amid cooling Cadillac sales, following a year in which U.S. deliveries jumped 22 percent to 182,543 units, leading Cadillac to bill itself as the industry's "fastest-growing full-line luxury brand."

Through May, Cadillac sales slipped 2 percent, well off the pace to hit Ferguson's forecast for this year of at least 10 percent U.S. sales growth.

Cadillac has been hurt by a 20 percent slide in sales of the ATS compact sedan this year through May. In an April interview, Peffer acknowledged that competition in that critical segment had stiffened with the debut of the Mercedes CLA sedan and other entries.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...cs-third-u-s-sales-chief-in-2-years-leaves-gm

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Cadillac went the European luxury path, and that market is cutthroat and overcrowded (by both European and Japanese competitors).

Lincoln often gets laughed at, but by taking the Audi/Acura path first, they're going to increase sales by quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been saying that Caddy is having sales volume issues for months now, and many would then take umbrage and bring up Lincoln sales as a counter argument.
In the last year and a half Cadillac introduced a completely new ATS, CTS, XTS, ELR, Escalade, and now the ATS coupe.
But sales are nowhere near expectations, based on so much new product.

Why?

I think the main reason is not enough CUV’s. Look at how popular the aging SRX is selling, although with fairly heavy incentives. Customers have spoken – small entry level makes more sense in a functional CUV than a cramped ATS.

This is why I think Lincoln’s plan will work, that Lincoln has done their homework and is delivering luxury product that the customer wants, not what pseudo journalists praise on a race track in Germany. Within a year, Lincoln will have the MKX, MKC, Navigator and a new product announced with delivery shortly after. I also recognized the brilliance in not rolling out a tiny Focus based luxury sedan, like originally planned, and instead giving us the sexy new MKC.

Go Lincoln

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Cadillac's third U.S. sales chief in 2 years leaves GM

I moseyed on over to GMi today and I stumbled upon this very same article but I wanted to read some of the comments. I read over a number of comments in response to this post on GMi and an overwhelming number of posters intimated that the lack of CUV's at the Cadillac brand is one of the main reasons why they feel the brand is not commanding better year over year sales.

In reading some news surrounding Lincoln's current and future product launches I used to feel as though the brand was somewhat short-sighted for being so CUV centric....but now not so much. It seems as though this is where the market is heading and the few brands out there who are unwilling to confirm will be left in the dust. I do think the MKC is a step in the right direction as well as the upcoming MKX for Lincoln as both products show promise. Add to that a fullsize 7-8 CUV and you have the makings of a very complete and competitive near luxury brand.

IMO The problem that GM has today has been one they've been dealing with in many years past and that is they have too many mouths to feed between the brands making it virtually impossible to give Cadillac the exclusivity it would need in the CUV arena. Currently GM not only has Cadillac but Buick which is acting as it's pseudo-luxury brand. Buick has two CUV's on the market today with another on the way within the next year or so. Cadillac at the present only has one CUV, the SRX. If Cadillac were to offer afull line of CUV's I would find it a bit harder for GM to justify a business case for keeping Buick when both brands would be fighting for the same marketshare. I think the higher-ups realize this and have been very careful in product planning and placement for both brands, but as a result I believe Cadillac has been relegated to forfeit some potential sales.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ CrunkedRL,
imho Cuvs are the cake, cars are the frosting in the current Lux-zeitgeist cupcake biz
either one without the other isn't as appetizing as it could be

quote = "IMO The problem that GM has today has been one they've been dealing with in many years past..."

How doth GM screw-eth up? Let me count the wayssssssssssssss
(as if I'll ever have THAT much time to waste)
instead I'll link to Bravada's exemplary post at GMI, earlier this month
non-readers' digest version: every 'Brand' is an OPPORTUNITY

Cadillac went the European luxury path, and that market is cutthroat and overcrowded (by both European and Japanese competitors).

Lincoln often gets laughed at, but by taking the Audi/Acura path first, they're going to increase sales by quite a bit.
just-imho
there is no such thing as an Audi path nor an Acura path (NOR a Lexoid path)...

...there are the VW(dub-dub) Path and the Honduh Path
(also the Thugota Path)
but they're not very similar imho

as for a "european" path (did you meant German?)
imho YURPS agree almost as little as our congress-critters ... ALMOST

·
Registered
628 Posts
Lincoln's path is similar to VW/Audi and Honda/Acura, but also similar to Buick's.

The trick is to make sure everything involved benefits from shared engineering. The new Golf is supposedly excellent, which comes form being the basis for the A3/4...and that's a fairly common thread in their products (excepting ones "dumbed down" for our market). Acura had a strong start, but never matched their early inspiration and largely stagnated. The NSX is a prime example: fantastic at debut, but quickly surpassed and allowed to just face away. The Buick comparison is unfortunately closest, especially in terms of average customer age.

I'm curious how Lincoln hopes to separate themselves from the pack. Most of the major luxo-marques have done a performance "showcase car" to demonstrate their level of engineering, but I don't really see Lincoln doing that. Going super-luxurious means fighting Bentley, Rolls, and trying not to re-create the Maybach errors. There's already a crowding battlefield for being the greenest luxury marque...

...so, how to make Lincoln unique?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Cadillac U.S. sales chief Bill Peffer is out after less than 10 months, the brand's third head of sales to leave in two years as the executive turnover continues inside General Motors' sales organization.

Peffer's departure marks the latest executive churn at Cadillac, which is trying to leverage its rejuvenated vehicle lineup to close the sales gap on German rivals BMW, Mercedes and Audi.

Peffer was named to Cadillac's top U.S. sales post in October 2013, from his previous job as CEO of Nissan Australia. He replaced Chase Hawkins, who was in the job just 13 months before being dismissed from GM in June 2013 for an undisclosed policy violation.

Peffer was picked by Bob Ferguson, senior vice president of global Cadillac, who in recent months has been spending much of his time in Washington, D.C., helping to steer GM's response to its ignition switch recall.

Ferguson, GM's top lobbyist before being picked by former GM CEO Dan Akerson in October 2012 to lead Cadillac, is likely to transition out of the Cadillac job and shift back to his Washington position full time, according to GM insiders.

Peffer leaves amid cooling Cadillac sales, following a year in which U.S. deliveries jumped 22 percent to 182,543 units, leading Cadillac to bill itself as the industry's "fastest-growing full-line luxury brand."

Through May, Cadillac sales slipped 2 percent, well off the pace to hit Ferguson's forecast for this year of at least 10 percent U.S. sales growth.

Cadillac has been hurt by a 20 percent slide in sales of the ATS compact sedan this year through May. In an April interview, Peffer acknowledged that competition in that critical segment had stiffened with the debut of the Mercedes CLA sedan and other entries.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...cs-third-u-s-sales-chief-in-2-years-leaves-gm
What??? The ATS sedan sales hurts by the Mercedes-Benz CLA sedan debut????? This guy was the sales lider of Cadillac???. The CLA is a different kind of car. Is a FWD sedan, more related with an upscale Focus than the RWD ATS. We suposed that the ATS compete with BMW 3 and 4 series, Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class... not the CLA.
Or , maybe, the customers dont care about what wheels have traction in the luxury cars? Is the end of the "RWD car superiority" dogma?

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
What??? The ATS sedan sales hurts by the Mercedes-Benz CLA sedan debut????? This guy was the sales lider of Cadillac???. The CLA is a different kind of car. Is a FWD sedan, more related with an upscale Focus than the RWD ATS. We suposed that the ATS compete with BMW 3 and 4 series, Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class... not the CLA.
Or , maybe, the customers dont care about what wheels have traction in the luxury cars? Is the end of the "RWD car superiority" dogma?
it happens, sometimes it doesn´t matter if it is RWD or FWD, for some it matters, sure, but for others not! What matters is the badge at the front!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts