Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audi unveils 2017 A4: less weight, more tech......same style.

"Now riding on Audi's MLB Evo platform, which first debuted beneath the 2017 Q7 SUV, the A4's overall length has nudged up slightly, growing from 15.4 feet to 15.5 feet. Wheelbase is also up a hair to 9.3 feet. Despite that added length, the 2017 A4 is up to 264 pound lighter than the model currently in showrooms, thanks to the extensive use of high-strength steel and aluminum in its construction.

In Europe the A4 will be available with seven different engines -- three gas burners and four diesels. Here in the United States expect fewer options, with Audi's 2.0 TFSI four-cylinder gas motor set to be the most popular. A 2.0 TDI diesel is also expected to make an appearance. Audi says that model is capable of hitting 63.6 U.S. mpg.

Further down the road the A4 is expected to be offered with a supercharged 3.0L V6 in S4 guise. A plug-in hybrid model is also in the works."

More here: http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-unveils-2017-a4-with-less-weight-more-tech-88919.html

View attachment 16666
View attachment 16674

Attachments

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It is remarkable to see a platform this flexible now. That would be like using the Explorer platform in the Focus.

I love Audi's Instrument Panels.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Looks more like a refresh than all new. Any Domestic brand who dared go so light on visual change would get hammered!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Slightly larger than the previous one but up to 264 pounds lighter, that's impressive.
The base 150hp 1.4 turbo model (which might not be sold in the US) weighs only 2,910 lbs, that's 2 lbs less than the smaller Ford Focus SE sedan with a 1.0 EcoBoost engine.
I guess another cool thing is they achieved this with a body structure that's predominantly steel.

It's drag coefficient of 0.23 is also equally as impressive, it just shows us that aerodynamic cars don't need to look like those hybrid cars with their wedge-shaped spaceship styling.

Looks more like a refresh than all new. Any Domestic brand who dared go so light on visual change would get hammered!
Evolutionary styling seems to work well on luxury cars, and I think this one looks good.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
^^^^ It looks great, no question!

I think the extra length, and then some is between the axle and dash! Many pooh pooh the idea that anybody cares about such things, yet here we have Audi, one of the three largest premium brands by volume and profit, and they clearly think the FWD aesthetic is lacking. They took a tried and true design and refined it, and improved it! Audi isn't really known as a performance brand, they make their hay with an unbelievable level of refinement which I would love to see Lincoln follow with the Continental!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
^^^^ It looks great, no question!

I think the extra length, and then some is between the axle and dash!
The extra length (+0.5in longer wheelbase now at 111in) went to the rear passenger area (+0.9in), the dash to axle ratio was already fixed in the previous/outgoing A4 (and A5, A6 etc)

Aside from looking better, this also improved the weight distribution and handling. From having 60% of the weight on the nose (like old Audis) to around 54% is a big improvement.

Front differential was moved forward and the steering rack was repositioned.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Good interior.
Good engineering.

But the designs just keep getting more dull and slab sided.
WTF
I think the previous one was more slab sided.

...and I think it's not that bad being slab sided, Ford's very own Lincoln MKZ is like that too.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I know Audi is understated and what not, but to me personally the most amazing aspect of this car is the amount of meh they fit into it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
No matter how good the A4 is/always has been, I will always find it to have a lack of soul/character. Other Audis don't seem to have this 'hole', but the A4 seems so uninspired.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

imho the 'new' one is clunkier & less refined
I actually prefer the new A4's sharper lines and creases. They stuck to the plain rounded styling long enough.

I just love its profile, even in Avant wagon form.

It's interesting to see how Audi has kept its beltlines low and their windows big.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know that is not good to change completly a succesful design. And Audi has a good design here, with the A4. But i think that some more "drama" or "flash" touches are needed for this car. Is difficult to differentiate the previous model from the new, aside from the front view, with that "almost new" grille.

Is a good car, but the Mercedes-Benz C class, with its completly new style is selling better...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I am assuming those weights Audi is stating ate Euro spec A4's.
For example the Euro Focus sedan weight start at 2,824 lbs.

The colours used on these media releases are not helping the cause IMO.
Interior IMO looks like an upscale VW.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It is remarkable to see a platform this flexible now. That would be like using the Explorer platform in the Focus.

I love Audi's Instrument Panels.
Ford is doing the same thing with the Focus platform. Eventually all Ford vehicles will be on the C1 platform (modified for the different classes of course).

But VW uses the MQB for its vehicles, plus Seat & Skoda, and the small Audi's -A3 & TT
The MLB & MLB-2 are for VW's premium cars , from A4 - A8 & Porsche Macan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts