Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audi's all-new Q3 crossover to start at $33,425

Audi has announced pricing information for its all-new Q3, ahead of the compact crossover's arrival in showrooms.

The company will sell the base model for $33,425 (including $925 freight) in the US market, more than $6,000 less than the Q5's entry price. Adding Quattro all-wheel-drive brings the sticker up to $35,525, while the FWD and AWD Prestige trim levels fetch $37,325 and $39,425, respectively.

The Q3 commands a premium of a few thousand dollars above its closest rival, the BMW X1, but is priced below Mercedes-Benz larger alternative, the GLK-Class.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/audis-new-q3-to-fetch-33-425.html#ixzz394eUcys2

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wheels are nice...................

Why are the Fog-light cut-outs the size of a shoe-box, when the lamps themselves are the size of a quarter?

(this is more of a general question, but this SUV certainly looks to follow that trend).

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Just for clarification, the Q3 is not a 'new' vehicle but just now coming to the US for MY2015. The Q3 currently sells for $40k in Europe and is more like a small hatchback(VW Golf/Skoda that it's based on) rather than an SUV.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The MKC is an all around better ride....

But it is time for Lincoln to launch the Red Label sports package, and make it available on all new Lincoln models, starting with the MKZ and MKC.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think you guys are underestimating the momentum of Audi! I find the Q3 quite attractive and well-proportioned. That doesn't mean that the MKC isn't, and I think I prefer the Lincoln, but the Q3 will certainly be a solid competitor.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Just for clarification, the Q3 is not a 'new' vehicle but just now coming to the US for MY2015. The Q3 currently sells for $40k in Europe and is more like a small hatchback(VW Golf/Skoda that it's based on) rather than an SUV.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The MKC is an all around better ride....

But it is time for Lincoln to launch the Red Label sports package, and make it available on all new Lincoln models, starting with the MKZ and MKC.
I thought the Q5 was the size of the MKC so the Q3 would be smaller, yes?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^ I don't have my "textfile dimensions database" avail at the Library, SP
but
imho the thing to remember is that (other than GM) Brands don't necessarily exactly-copy eachother's measurements
:stirpot:

(( home: ^put in the smilie!
might be too lazy to get measurements.... ))

oh well
_ovl____wlb____w___ht________
200.4 - 118.1 - 77.95- 68.5 - Audi Q7
186.4 - 111.2 - 75.8 - 67.3 - Lincoln MKX
182.6 - 110.5 - 74.7 - 65.2 - Audi Q5
179.2 - 105.9 - 73.4 - 65.2 - Lincoln MKC
172.4 - 102.4 - 71.7 - 63.0 - 2015 Audi Q3

(( reminder/imho
Lincolns shouldn't be compared to Audis
&
their Cuvs should be compared to Porschecuvs - if they'd make them ))

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Does Audi have a time machine?
The Q3 has been out in global markets from some time now, it isn't that new anymore. The Q3 was unveiled in 2011 for the 2012 model year.
Here's the Apil 2011 article by Auto Express: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/11342/audi-q3-officially-unveiled-pictures

About the wheel design, the 2007 Audi R8 actually had a similar wheel design to the Q3's in the photo above.
You watch, the next thing Audi is going to steel from Lincoln is going to be that awesome clamshell hatch!!

Oh, wait...

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You watch, the next thing Audi is going to steel from Lincoln is going to be that awesome clamshell hatch!!

Oh, wait...
Someone better search Audi's HQ and destroy their time machine!
2003 Audi Pikes Peake Quattro Concept that previewed the Q7.

I think the MKC is probably the best new gen Lincoln design out in the market today, and I do like most Audi designs so I don't mind the similarities.
The problem I guess is for Ford/Lincoln fans who don't like Audi designs.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I can't say the MKC looks much like an Audi beyond the clamshell rear-hatch, the rest of the car is far too softened and over-sculpted to carry that careful Germanic sophistication that Audi is really good at. I'm not convinced the clamshell rear-hatch was a smart design choice for the MKC, it exaggerates the rear overhang of the car and creates a very visible gap in the sheet metal which is normally hidden by intersecting elements like glass or tail-lights. And since Lincoln still had to make the full-width taillights in segments, they end up with noticeable gaps regardless. It's very much a gimmick, a symptom of a car company trying to be different from Ford, but what's worse is that they took an idea from another company and used it badly. Fortunately MKX didn't do this.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I thought the Q5 was the size of the MKC so the Q3 would be smaller, yes?
MKC at $33k competes directly with the Q3(with both riding on a c-segment platform) in size and price point. The larger Q5 compete with the MKX(starting at $39k both riding on a d-segment platform) and starts over $6k more than the MKC at $39k.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The MK C is more sculpted, and that is a good thing. The Audi , compared with the Lincoln side by side, looks very bland, soft and boring. The Lincoln desing is the winner here, hands down.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Audi styling is too predictable for my taste. It has that very sterile, cold, German look to it.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
semi-related...

Audi A3 Sportback E-Tron Priced from €37,900 in Germany - CarScoops
By Dan Mihalascu

[imgalign=left]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hJchGdpG0Qw/U9_H2JmSg_I/AAAAAAARo8g/ksPQ9gxZFOw/s200/Audi-A3-Sportback-e-tron-11.jpg[/imgalign] Audi’s first ever production plug-in hybrid, the A3 Sportback E-Tron, is available to order in Europe at 410 Audi dealers, 105 of which are in Germany.

The model is priced from €37,900 ($50,895) in Germany, with the first compact electric cars to be handed over to customers this winter. Audi is also offering the A3 Sportback E-Tron from €319 ($428) per month for a leasing contract with a term of 36 months...

...The Audi A3 Sportback E-Tron combines a 1.4-liter TFSI gasoline engine and an electric motor, for a system output of 204PS (201hp). The A3 Sportback e-tron’s fuel consumption in accordance with the NEDC standard for plug-in hybrid vehicles is just 1.5 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers (156.8 US mpg), with CO2 emissions of 35 grams per kilometer.

The vehicle has an all-electric driving range of 50 kilometers (31 miles), while in combined mode it can cover more than 900 kilometers (559 miles)...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
MKC at $33k competes directly with the Q3(with both riding on a c-segment platform) in size and price point. The larger Q5 compete with the MKX(starting at $39k both riding on a d-segment platform) and starts over $6k more than the MKC at $39k.
I've made the comment that the MKX was more Q5 sized in the past and it was pointed out that the Q5 is quite a bit smaller. I've seen many MKCs on the road here in Vegas this past summer and my neighbor has a Q5, they are very comparable in size. Pricing clearly separates them but then Lincoln is forced into the being the value brand at this stage.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've made the comment that the MKX was more Q5 sized in the past and it was pointed out that the Q5 is quite a bit smaller. I've seen many MKCs on the road here in Vegas this past summer and my neighbor has a Q5, they are very comparable in size. Pricing clearly separates them but then Lincoln is forced into the being the value brand at this stage.
How else are they supposed to price it? You can't price it similarly to the Germans, Lincoln would be chastised for it. You get more vehicle for less money, and that's a good way to get people into the car. It worked wonders for the CTS.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
How else are they supposed to price it? You can't price it similarly to the Germans, Lincoln would be chastised for it. You get more vehicle for less money, and that's a good way to get people into the car. It worked wonders for the CTS.
I never said I disagreed with their pricing and agreed with you that they have no other choice.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Actually for manufacturers the class of car is more based on the platform. MKC and Q3 ride on a c-segment platform and have a 104 and 102" wheelbase. Compared with the MKX and Q5 that ride on a d-segment platform with a larger 112 and 110" wheelbase.

It will be interesting how a Lincoln Aviator competes with the Q7 with 118" wheelbase, when the Explorer it should share a platform with is currently at 116".

Lincoln has move past the 'value' concept as of early 2014, and is matching the competition at base price, but offers more options that can put the Lincoln at a higher price point than the competition at higher trim levels. No more cheap leases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts