Ford Inside News banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New York '08 Preview: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP packs 402 HP... and a third pedal!

Posted Mar 15th 2008 12:00AM by Alex Nunez
Filed under: New York Auto Show, Sedans/Saloons, Sports/GTs, GM, Pontiac

Click above for hi-res gallery of the Pontiac G8 GXP

The Northeast is the Pontiac division's largest market, and the brand -- which has played the stepchild in recent years, banished to the outer limits of exhibition halls -- is finally getting its own coming out party in New York next week. The resurgent Performance Division will flex its muscles at the Javits Center. Joining the 2010 G8 sport truck (and maybe another newcomer sporting the Arrowhead badge) is the highly-anticipated Pontiac G8 GXP.

The new Poncho flagship wears subtle visual tweaks including updated front and rear fascias plus the same 19" HSV wheels that were shown on the G8 concept. More importantly, the GXP packs GM's 6.2L LS3 V8 underhood. In this application (it's also in the Vette, where it makes even more power), the small-block punches out 402 horses and 400 lb-ft of torque rearward via a Tremec 6-speed manual gearbox or a HydraMatic 6L80 auto. (Add another 2 pound-feet of twist if you opt for the latter.) A fully-adjustable suspension helps keep the muscle sedan planted to the tarmac, and stopping power comes from the gang at Brembo. Look for an upgraded interior with glitzier trim and well-bolstered leather sport seats. A Pontiac stand littered with V8s? It's sure been a while. Welcome back to the party, guys. Let the wanton tire destruction begin!

We'll have plenty of live shots for you from the floor on Wednesday.

Gallery: 2008 Pontiac G8 GXP

[Source: GM]

Continue reading New York '08 Preview: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP packs 402 HP... and a third pedal!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Much better than the LXs from Chrysler. The styling is conservative but stylish and it's not imitating a luxury marque. Now Ford needs to hurry up with the GRWD platform. I didn't realized how small the G8 is for a EPA full-size class. It's like 5 inches longer than an extended Epsilon Malibu/Aura/G6. It certainly is a more compactly packaged chassis than the LXs for it to have 107 cu. ft. of interior volume and it doesn't look bloated.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
^
Yeah right,
that's what many used to say when gas was $2-3 per gallon.
Let's see what they say when it hits $4 and they have to fill up every week at $70 a tank.

Just because some want performance, does not mean they have money to throw around.
People buying any vehicle with that amount of power under the hood with the intentions of utilizing its performance potential are willing to pay the price at the pump or they wouldn't have purchased it to begin with. I think everyone (except President Bush) is well-aware by now that gas is going to be $4 a gallon soon.

If driven normally, the car will likely get respectable fuel economy numbers. Most of the small-blocks do.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am guessing about 13 mpg avg.
I wonder how it will sell.

I would ask the same question. The fact that it's a sedan, has an automatic transmission available, and appears to have been designed in this century assures a happier fate than the GTO. But still, it is a niche vehicle at best.

I suppose Pontiac is now meant to be a niche brand, whether GM says so or not. If the clustering of Pontiac, GMC, and Buick dealerships is actually pulled off, then I suppose this would be OK. Not unlike the Lincoln Mercury franchise, Buick is probably intended as the volume name, followed by specialized products of GMC and Pontiac.

·
Editor
1,173 Posts
I would ask the same question. The fact that it's a sedan, has an automatic transmission available, and appears to have been designed in this century assures a happier fate than the GTO. But still, it is a niche vehicle at best.

I suppose Pontiac is now meant to be a niche brand, whether GM says so or not. If the clustering of Pontiac, GMC, and Buick dealerships is actually pulled off, then I suppose this would be OK. Not unlike the Lincoln Mercury franchise, Buick is probably intended as the volume name, followed by specialized products of GMC and Pontiac.
Pontiac will not be a high-volume brand any longer. GM intends on Pontiac-Buick-GMC to be "boutique" brands. This is really the only way a business case is going to remain on the table for the 3 divisions, and it is a good idea.

Chevrolet, Cadillac, and Saturn are intended for volume now. With the PBG channel being high volume, but the volume coming from 3 divisions, not one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts