Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Last Tuesday the Toyota Tundra was kicked off the Consumer Reports "Recommended" list for achieving below average predicted reliability scores from its own owners. It appears, however, that the Tundra's week is about to get worse. With the help of Mike Levine from Pickuptruck.com, we're following two separate stories about Tundra quality issues that have surfaced recently. The first involves the Tundra's transmission, with at least ten owners at TundraSolutions.com reporting that their trannies experience rough shifts that make the truck feel like it's riding over rumble strips. The 'rumble strip' transmission issue has been acknowledged by Toyota North America and traced back to the torque converter not disengaging properly. Owners report having their transmissions replaced with new or remanufactured ones, though Toyota told Levine that going forward the automaker would only replace the torque converter itself. Toyota did not say, however, how many trucks are affected, just that the transmission problem is not a safety or design issue.

More at Autoblog

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is bad.
Toyota is finding that holding numero uno comes at a price. GM just passed it in YTD sales. Whomever thought it was going to be easy lied.

Meanwhile they lost share in sept while GM gained. Ford overtook them is some segments in quality. I think some were too quick to count Detroit out.
:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Meanwhile they lost share in sept while GM gained. Ford overtook them is some segments in quality. I think some were too quick to count Detroit out.
:D
It would be equally bad for anyone in Detroit to start declaring victory. The Japanese think much longer term than does U.S. industry, for the most part. This sort of stumble will only make Toyota work harder at learning how to build trucks for this market.

When they do, you can bet they'll apply them to the next segment they tackle (think Toyota SuperDuty). Detroit should see this as a window of opportunity to get a jump on Toyota and do whatever is necessary to capitalize on it, both in the F150 segment and in the SuperDuty segment.

The new trucks we're seeing at my accessories store these days are Chevrolet (by far the most new customers), Toyota, and Ford. We're getting more new Ford customers than Toyota, but Toyota is a solid number three in our sales volume. Dodge is virtually invisible, at least as far as new trucks are concerned.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be equally bad for anyone in Detroit to start declaring victory. The Japanese think much longer term than does U.S. industry, for the most part. This sort of stumble will only make Toyota work harder at learning how to build trucks for this market.

When they do, you can bet they'll apply them to the next segment they tackle (think Toyota SuperDuty). Detroit should see this as a window of opportunity to get a jump on Toyota and do whatever is necessary to capitalize on it, both in the F150 segment and in the SuperDuty segment.

The new trucks we're seeing at my accessories store these days are Chevrolet (by far the most new customers), Toyota, and Ford. We're getting more new Ford customers than Toyota, but Toyota is a solid number three in our sales volume. Dodge is virtually invisible, at least as far as new trucks are concerned.
I agree this is no time to drop the ball for Detroit. Toyota has indeed fired the first salvo.
Detroit might be served well by a counter attack on the medium segment. The Tacoma and Frontier have all but conqeured this this segment

·
Registered
10,961 Posts

Yeah, and I assure you that Ford also learned much during their stumble in the last decade or so and it is showing with HUGE quality improvements that will also soon surpass Toyota...and the quality improvement efforts Toyota needs to make today, take many years to manifest themselves. So consequently, their downward quality spiral has certainly not flattened yet or soon. We will see/hear much more negative quality news from Toyota before we hear positive.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, and I assure you that Ford also learned much during their stumble in the last decade or so and it is showing with HUGE quality improvements that will also soon surpass Toyota...and the quality improvement efforts Toyota needs to make today, take many years to manifest themselves. So consequently, their downward quality spiral has certainly not flattened yet or soon. We will see/hear much more negative quality news from Toyota before we hear positive.
I would not be so sure. Toyota is good at what they do. Do not count them out. They are very disciplined and consistent

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Come January, the world will see Ford's direction for less-than-full sized trucks, and it will be totally different than anyone imagined and it will be killer.

YAY!

...recently had a couple thoughts about
IF the smaller truck (T6, I presume? or D4??) could actually be in 2 sizes (midsize & a true compact),
maybe the littlest trucklet could have a deluxe Merc version?
and the mid a super-deluxe Lincoln version?
Just thinking that top-dog preemo smaller trucks could compete with F-series but not so much if they were at the L-M dealers...
and by splitting them between L & M, would allow for even more differentiation
(1) the tiny Merc could be best in class (heck, re-invent the class!) without having to live up to Lincoln-ness
(2) make it more of a L-M solution
(3) keep them from abandonning the LT customers completely
& (4) somehow-imho make it 'allright' that nothing would top the new Platinums

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
a post elsewhere, with Ranger & Escape in the same sentence, re-news my wondering about nextgen Escapes & Rangers/Broncos sharing a platform...

onTopic:
apparently a petition at Tundra(needs)Solutions, about the 'practically-self-destructing' tailgates, prompted a response from Thugota (Autoblog)
tho
neither side addressed the issue of STOPPING the sale of defective products...
so I guess IF anyone buys a Tundra, the salesman can just schedule a the replacement for WHEN it breaks :p

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Toyota's ace is that it can seemingly blanket itself from bad press, with very good media communications department, and with their customers as well.
Sneaky as ****, but they make themselves look like they actually care.

All other auto manufacturers would do well to study Toyo's techniques in the communications department.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Killer or not, right now Chevy rules. If Ford is going to up the Ante, the Toyota will be taken back to the drawing board with Chevy being forced to go for an MCE.
I can only think at this point, more displacement and bigger rig that is properly styled.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Folks, I'm at SEMA and today I spent my time in the truck accessories exhibits in the South Hall. Toyota has a V-6 Diesel, crew cab dually project truck on display.

They will certainly need to spend some time on quality improvements for the Tundra, but they also seem to be putting the industry on notice that they intend to push ahead into the SuperDuty segment.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
^^Cool!
CTYankee, will you have time to take (& eventually post) any pix???

I agree 'that T brand' seems "to be putting the industry on notice that they intend to push ahead into the SuperDuty segment"
but
my favorite forum comment so far is
Quote:
__Originally Posted by [email protected]
__I like the please do not touch sticker on the window. It'll probably shatter so don't touch!!

I believe he's referencing the tailgate issue...

·
Registered
83 Posts
^^Cool!
CTYankee, will you have time to take (& eventually post) any pix???
I have some pics but won't be able to load them until I get home since I cleverly left my USB cable and memory card reader home. Most of them are of accessories, but I have a few of cars and trucks plus one of Hulk Hogan in the Nissan display!

All I can say if you've never been here is that you can't appreciate how big this show is until you've tried to take it in. I spent the entire day in the South Hall and didn't see everything there. Tomorrow is allocated for the North Hall (equally large) and Thursday will be the Center Hall. Attendees really have to plan and prioritize objectives for the show.

The Ford exhibit is in Center Hall so I won't get there until Thursday, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got on display.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have some pics but won't be able to load them until I get home since I cleverly left my USB cable and memory card reader home. Most of them are of accessories, but I have a few of cars and trucks plus one of Hulk Hogan in the Nissan display!

All I can say if you've never been here is that you can't appreciate how big this show is until you've tried to take it in. I spent the entire day in the South Hall and didn't see everything there. Tomorrow is allocated for the North Hall (equally large) and Thursday will be the Center Hall. Attendees really have to plan and prioritize objectives for the show.

The Ford exhibit is in Center Hall so I won't get there until Thursday, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got on display.
CTYankee!! Glad you are at Sema, if you'd like, please cover it for us. We will give your threads front page priority!!
I really would love to be at SEMA some day.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...The Ford exhibit is in Center Hall so I won't get there until Thursday, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got on display.

If you can take some pix that'd be SuPeR!!1!!
tho
even more, I'll be interested in what you think of the Focii AND what you overhear others saying!

Seems every post I've seen (wherever), people like it much more in person than in pix - quite a few have reversed their initial dislike & now say it's a nice package in RealLife!!!

edit/oops:
forgot this a ThunderThighs thread... will also be interesting if the attendees are talking about the TailGate (rhymes with WATERGATE) problems
...OR any Other 'T brand' issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts