Ford Inside News banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/226775/

The votes are in. While Ford executives leaf through the bids from potential new owners of both the Jaguar and Land Rover brands, users of Autocar.co.uk have been having their say on the options laid out before bosses of the Blue Oval. And according to your votes, Ford should do whatever it can to fix loss-making Jaguar by finding a new financial partner and drawing up a bold plan to make the company a success.

We laid out the same four options for the future of the Jaguar as currently face Ford CEO Alan Mulally and Ford of Europe boss Lewis Booth; they were ‘keep it’, ‘fix it’, ‘split it’ and ‘sell it’, and 33.6 per cent of you chose the second option. Next favourite was ‘keep it’ which got 29.7 per cent of the vote, while ‘sell it’ recorded 24.3 per cent.

“It’s reassuring to find out that Autocar’s readers are concerned about the future of these great brands, “ said Ford and Premier Automotive Group spokesman John Gardiner. “They’re an intrinsic part of the UK motor industry, and we understand our responsibilities to both Jaguar and Land Rover, and to the communities that surround them.”

“Rest assured that any decision Ford takes will be in the best interests of both Jaguar and Land Rover, as well as the Ford Motor Company.”

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I alway thought...
Jaguar, Lincoln, Cadillac- Large car plarform
Hummer, Land Rover, Luxury Lincoln- Another Platfrom

Some of us are soo caught up in the Camaro Vs Mustang at the drag strip world, that this does not seem like a good cause of action.

Look, at VW, Audi, Porsche, and Bentley... it works.. Ford would not sell, by using a sort of plartform partnership with its North American brands and GM the Aluminum XJ would pay for itself. If I was Mullaly, I would call Rick Wagoner and asked him if he would like to build a Cadillac at our Coventry plant in exange for building LR3 in south african Hummer plant

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...four options for the future of the Jaguar... ...were ‘keep it’, ‘fix it’, ‘split it’ and ‘sell it’...

don't think I understand those choices... 3 of them involve NOT-fixing Jag? (implied)
& what does "split it" mean?

wonder if it had been
keep 100%
keep at least 1/3rd (like Mazda or more - possibly whatever it takes to retain control)
keep some but less than 1/3rd
sell all of it

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So a small section of the readers of Autocar think Ford should "fix" Jaguar. Fine, let them take up a collection and send the money to Dearborn.

It's too late. The billions upon billions have been wasted (oops, I mean spent). Ford has much larger fish to fry closer to home. The XF alone will not be enough, even if it is succesful.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Then why don't these voters buy Jaguar's shares? That burden should have been left to rot 18 years ago.

Because they can't. Ford owns Jaguar. There are no shares of Jag to buy. To buy shares in Jaguar one must but shares in whole of Ford.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Anyone know if there's a kind of corporate structure
that allows for a group of mainly independent companies
where each issues its own stock
yet they all belong to one central organization?

guess joint ventures between independents could accomplish most of what I'm thinking
except my version would be more permanent

wonder if the Nissan-Renault joint ownership is something like this?
R owns part of N, &
N owns part of R (the extent of my knowledge)
anyone know if there's separate R & N stocks?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Anyone know if there's a kind of corporate structure
that allows for a group of mainly independent companies
where each issues its own stock
yet they all belong to one central organization?

guess joint ventures between independents could accomplish most of what I'm thinking
except my version would be more permanent.

wonder if the Nissan-Renault joint ownership is something like this?
R owns part of N, &
N owns part of R (the extent of my knowledge)
All correct, except for the "central organizaton" part. Renault is majority shareholder of Nissan. Nissan owns a bit of Renault (though the majority shareholder of Renault is the French government). This means that Renault can call any shots it wants too at Nissan. They still have seperate head offices, but share a great deal of talent and hardware.

anyone know if there's separate R & N stocks?

Yes.

The ticker for Nissan is NSANF. For Renault: RNSDF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts