Ford Inside News banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1508-2016-lincoln-mkx-review/

The 2016 Lincoln MKX checks all the mid-size, two-row luxury crossover boxes and is better than the standard-bearer that launched this segment, the Lexus RX...

Base price of the Reserve model is $48,545...

The new personal luxury car
The Lincoln MKX is a worthy companion for the sports car in your garage...

Perhaps Ford ought to drop the Edge, keep covering all the other CUV sub-segments, and leave this one to Lincoln. That would give this luxury brand struggling through a reinvention the exclusive model it needs.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The F-Pace, the MK-X and the Maserati Levante are the beauties of the midsize luxury crossovers...

I choose the Lincoln...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I am hoping Lincoln's CUV/SUVs offer a variation of the current sedan theme for the front end. Nothing radical, but something noticeable.

Reactions: falcon lover

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
yeah...I know..:wink2: But with the new Lincoln face, they are sure to look a whole lot alike...

After saving Jag, I don't mind that Lincoln borrowed some influence from them.
But to say they share a face is pretty pathetic, SP. If anything, Lincoln did a much better job.

Whatever it is, it is much better than before.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^....The basic grille design is common among many automakers. However, Lincoln has a very different interpretation. A new shape, elegant chrome interior trim design and very distinctive Lincoln mesh insert. Actually after looking at the Lincoln grille, the 'version' on the Jag seems a bit too small for the size of car and the CUV grille looks a bit plain, and the Audi grille takes over the whole front end of the car.

Looking at the Navigator Concept, imagine the grille will be a bit taller, but still have it's distinctive, elegant style that sets it apart from the competition. And I do expect the new Lincoln large sedan to have the Lincoln star on top of the grille and electronically retractable.

Now back to the MKX....

Wouldn't it not only look less 'heavy', but bring the MKX more upscale if it lost the black cladding around the wheel arches, and went body color with the rest.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wouldn't it not only look less 'heavy', but bring the MKX more upscale if it lost the black cladding around the wheel arches, and went body color with the rest.

No, it would make it look heavier. I look the cladding around the arches. Adds a little bit of sportiness and slims the profile.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
I wonder of Lincoln is using the black cladding as another differentiator between the MKX and Edge, since the Edge looks a bit more up-market in it's class(imported to Europe to compete with luxury brands) by having no black cladding around wheel arches.

But Lincoln is the luxury brand..:surprise2: Ahh....but Lincoln is Quiet Luxury, Effortless power and not sport - that's Ford's job.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts

The lines on that concept are all over the place. Lines are supposed to represent motion on a vehicle. But this concept has the lines crossing while doing unnatural things. There are three different 'hard' lines on the upper portion alone. With there being so many 'hard' lines at the rear, the window design gets confuses as what line it is supposed to follow. One straight horizontal line starts the rear window, another curves up and away from the window hard, another soft. And did they really put that old (currently available) stick on accent piece on the side. This is a mess, like they couldn't decide from several ideas, so they just used them all.

Here are examples of the use of multiple hard lines that work:

Three hard lines that are not connected, but flow well

GM is consistent with their base design challenges. The Camaro is another example. Notice the top line that runs from the headlight has no where to go after passing the rear window, but there is still more car. So they just start a new line to reach the rear. Never mind the fact that it forced the rear side window to an unusable size. With design you can't cover one flaw with another.....you just get ruin the entire design.

Another example where designs work and flow as they should on a vehicle that will be in motion. Notice the upper line from the headlight did not get stuck behind the side window. And the side line is implied above the headlight - stops and continues at the rear.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

After saving Jag, I don't mind that Lincoln borrowed some influence from them.
But to say they share a face is pretty pathetic, SP. If anything, Lincoln did a much better job.

Whatever it is, it is much better than before.
My comment was directed at Bloggin's post in which he himself acknowledged the similarities. That Ford once owned Jag means nothing to me, but I do agree that the MKZ looks much better from that full frontal view than does the Jag.

I won't argue to much that the nose is an improvement taken on it's own, but in total I don't think the MKZ is as cohesive a design as it was before. I look forward to seeing what they have planned for the next generation of Lincoln which by all accounts will not be subject to the same proportional disadvantages of today's CD4 product!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I wonder of Lincoln is using the black cladding as another differentiator between the MKX and Edge, since the Edge looks a bit more up-market in it's class(imported to Europe to compete with luxury brands) by having no black cladding around wheel arches.

But Lincoln is the luxury brand..:surprise2: Ahh....but Lincoln is Quiet Luxury, Effortless power and not sport - that's Ford's job.

The Lincoln doesn't look as stubby as the Ford, it appears longer and lower in large part because the gray plastic narrows the side profile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts