1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota keeping cool despite slow Tundra sales

Mark Rechtin

Automotive News | February 20, 2008 - 6:52 pm EST

LOS ANGELES – Despite sales of its Tundra full-size pickup falling short of expectations in January, Toyota is not worried about meeting its annual objective.

Last year, the Tundra’s better sales months were in the 18,000 to 22,000 range. But January’s mark of 12,073 was well below that. On an annualized basis, that came to a 185,000-unit clip. That’s well below the 200,000-plus mark Toyota has set for 2008.

“I learned from (former Toyota boss) Bob McCurry to never make long-term decisions based on January and February business,” said Jim Lentz, president of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A.“We’re not pushing the panic button.”

January is a slow month for Toyota trucks, usually representing about 6.5 percent of the annual sales mark, Lentz said in an interview. He added that February sales are looking “pretty good.”

“We have plenty of time to recover from 185,000 up to 200,000. The first half of 2008, especially in pickup, is going to be more challenging. We’re comfortable with where we are,” Lentz said.

Toyota will not pile on the incentives in reaction to a slow January, Lentz said, adding that, “Typically we follow Detroit (in launching incentives), we don’t lead.”

SOURCE: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080220/ANA02/488547766/1078&refsect=&template=printart

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
True, A new Dodge is coming, a new Ford, and the GM product is vastly superior to the Tundra. Its down hill for them, until the next model, when the hype will catch on.
It seems like the hype buyers have done their thing. In Dec you could get upto $10,000.00 off a Tundra in San diego Ca. They were trying to beat their first year target.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It seems like the hype buyers have done their thing. In Dec you could get upto $10,000.00 off a Tundra in San diego Ca. They were trying to beat their first year target.
Here in North Carolina Toyota dealers are taking $8,500 off the 2008 Tundra Double Cab and Crew Max.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Here in North Carolina Toyota dealers are taking $8,500 off the 2008 Tundra Double Cab and Crew Max.
I remember seeing over $8,000 on the hoods of the Regular Cab Tundra with the iForce V8 Engines here in Arizona. The problem they had though was they couldn't and still cant sell the Tundra like they sell Camrys or Corollas.

A truck buyer is going to do far more research than an average car buyer and will come to a dealer knowing exactly what they want and will be more than willing to wait or shop elsewhere for it. This is still virgin territory for Toyota which is used to many buying whatever Camry or Corolla is on the lot.

Plus, even with the nod from Motor Trend as the 2008 Truck of the Year, the Tundra has not really demonstrated itself to be that much better than the competition and with their new models rallying to the markets this year, and the growing quality of the Domestics, while Toyota's quality is slipping...well, this just doesn't stack up well for Toyota and the Tundra...or the Sequoia for that matter.

Lets just see how well the new F-150 and the Ram and Silverado wipe the floor of the Tundra.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Lets just see how well the new F-150 and the Ram and Silverado wipe the floor of the Tundra.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061
The '09 F-150 and Ram will absolutely slaughter the Tundra.
And the Silverado and Sierra are already vastly superior products in comparison to the Tundra.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just throwin' it out there, but do we think it might actually be that this state of affairs has something to do with the fact that the Tundra is by far the ugliest damned truck in recent memory?

Just sayin'....

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
I actually don't think the Tundra is that bad looking from the outside. The interior has some nice features, but it is not attractive and does not fit as a truck styling. I have driven one and it is not a bad riding truck, but there really is no reason for anyone to choose it over domestic trucks - which are better in every way that matters to truck owners.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Just throwin' it out there, but do we think it might actually be that this state of affairs has something to do with the fact that the Tundra is by far the ugliest damned truck in recent memory?

Just sayin'....
I wouldn't call it the Ugliest per say...but it is by far the most "Japanese" looking and certainly styled in a way that only a certain group will agree with the look.

American trucks have a very simple, linear and rugged appearance and their interiors reflect that with rugged and utilitarian luxury...not obscure ergonomics and bizarre shapes.

The Tundra is just trying way too hard to look tough...when it needs to look purposeful and much less "Japanese"!

Just for reference...lets compare the Tundra with its American Competition, shall we?

First: The Toyota Tundra​

Second: The Chevrolet Silverado​

Third: The Dodge Ram​

Fourth: The Ford F-150​

Finally: The Nissan Titan​

Thanks to Motive Magazine.com for access to their extensive Gallery.​

So, what do you think...I know that this site may have a bias towards the F-150...but given the advancements and the improvements that the Detroit Three have made with their offerings...can the Toyota really compete in its current guise and bloated size...or will it wither on the vines...and for that matter...what about the Titan?

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You know, I would take F150, first, second the Ram and third the Chevy from a design perspective. Stock Chevy's look too simple. its not until you get to the Denali that it really shines.
The Tundra like RG said, just looks like a Tokyo express hinding in montana. The Nissan is just a joke.

But, I drove a Silvarado and its an awesome truck. The thing is, I know in their shakedown, Ford had a silvarado to compare it to their new truck. So the F150, will probably have a leg up. Its time for GM's Shifters to come down to the floor. They only had one GMT800 with it, the Hummer H2. So, we know they can do it.

When is the new facelift for the silvarado coming?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts