Ford Inside News banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UAW provides details of pact with GM

Here are official details on the tentative agreement between the UAW and GM:

• GM agrees to new-vehicle programs at 16 U.S. plants.
  • GM would initially fund the UAW’s health care trust fund with $29.9 billion with an additional $5.4 billion in future years.
  • GM would provide the trust an additional backstop of as much as $1.6 billion over the next 20 years.
  • Workers get a $3,000 signing bonus to approve the contract.
  • Instead of pay raises, UAW rank and file get bonuses equal to 3 percent, 4 percent and 3 percent of their annual pay during the second, third and fourth years of the contract.
  • New hires in noncore, nonproduction jobs would get paid between $14 and $16.23 an hour.
  • New hires get a 401(k) plan instead of the traditional UAW pension plan.
  • GM agreed to bring in-house 3,000 jobs that now are outsourced to contractors.
  • GM agreed to hire 3,000 temporary workers as full-time hourly employees.
for more CLICK HERE, registration required but not subscription.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
This is all so great for our industries, economy and our country.
Look how far and how fast GM and Ford have come, relatively speaking. I know it seems real long, but so much work needed to be done just to get where we are today, yet so much more still needs to be done. I am but a simple design engineer at Ford, and although I am in the middle of it all, the latest projects are really exciting. I am witnessing a great American institution be great once again from a front row seat, and I would not want to be anywhere else.

American workers and their products are second to nobody. Believe it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is all so great for our industries, economy and our country.
Look how far and how fast GM and Ford have come, relatively speaking. I know it seems real long, but so much work needed to be done just to get where we are today, yet so much more still needs to be done. I am but a simple design engineer at Ford, and although I am in the middle of it all, the latest projects are really exciting. I am witnessing a great American institution be great once again from a front row seat, and I would not want to be anywhere else.

Amen to that!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wingsnut, is there anything actively happening inside Ford to close the perception gap mentioned in another thread?

I'd like to see any of the Detroit automakers put together an ad series that contrasts today's vehicles, processes, and development methodologies with those that originally produced the gap.

I'd like to see them take that approach because it's a perception that will resist being changed through traditional marketing and that will take too long to change through product experience. It's going to take an educational approach that, in some ways, acknowledges that the gap is there for a reason and then explains why it's no longer accurate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts