Ford Inside News banner

181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The 3.0T was never intended to be a Lincoln exclusive and thusly we shouldn't expect Lincoln to have exclusive powertrains, especially as cost cutting sets in once again. But the 3.0T is still available in products at Lincoln that are not available at Ford (MKZ, Continental). Not sure what happened with Nautilus which is now less powerful than the Edge for the first time. I think the difference between Ford and Lincoln applications is pretty old school, the powerful engines are only available in Sport applications which are very different than the luxury experience in the Lincoln. It's why I usually don't consider the "Sport" to be an alternative to the Lincoln even if they share the same specs.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I thought it was intended to be exclusive...anyway, if the Explorer is going to get it is it going to get branded as an EcoBoost whereas with Lincoln they don’t apply the EcoBoost name??

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Volvo has proven that you can't judge a car's driveline orientation by it's proportions...although Volvo's comes with some drawbacks (I4s only).

Ford has the midsize utility market covered better than most although Chevy has a very ambitious SUV reconfiguration strategy that includes a new 3-row mid-sizer (Trailblazer) below the larger Traverse. That might be where Ford heads with the Edge which is something of an anomaly as a non-luxury midsize two-row crossover. They could move Explorer up in size and price, but a RWD Explorer still sounds bonkers. Ford also has the Bronco on its way so I'm not sure how many utilities you can have in that general size class.
I think it's only a matter of time before we see the 3-row Edge "L" (Edge Maxx?) offered here in addition to the 2-row model, which will allow Explorer to bump up a bit.

The 3.0T was never intended to be a Lincoln exclusive and thusly we shouldn't expect Lincoln to have exclusive powertrains, especially as cost cutting sets in once again. But the 3.0T is still available in products at Lincoln that are not available at Ford (MKZ, Continental). Not sure what happened with Nautilus which is now less powerful than the Edge for the first time. I think the difference between Ford and Lincoln applications is pretty old school, the powerful engines are only available in Sport applications which are very different than the luxury experience in the Lincoln. It's why I usually don't consider the "Sport" to be an alternative to the Lincoln even if they share the same specs.
Yeah, I agree the Edge ST outpowering Nautilus seems strange to me....I have a feeling they'll announce the 3.0T in the Nautilus closer to launch. I was extremely surprised when they didn't mention it upon release.

Explorer Platinum uses the Sport's powertrain, but with the "luxury" interior/experience.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think it's only a matter of time before we see the 3-row Edge "L" (Edge Maxx?) offered here in addition to the 2-row model, which will allow Explorer to bump up a bit.

Yeah, I agree the Edge ST outpowering Nautilus seems strange to me....I have a feeling they'll announce the 3.0T in the Nautilus closer to launch. I was extremely surprised when they didn't mention it upon release.

Explorer Platinum uses the Sport's powertrain, but with the "luxury" interior/experience.
I don't think there is a reason to separate that announcement when production is only months away with ordering starting soon. It's safe to assume Nautilus is not getting the engine unfortunately. The Nautilus could have used some more excitement with so many 3.0Ts in its price range at Audi and BMW. A next-gen Nautilus is still 4 years away so I think this should have been a more substantive update, especially the interior. The Aviator arriving in 2+ years may be the vehicle they prefer to focus on.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I don't think there is a reason to separate that announcement when production is only months away with ordering starting soon. It's safe to assume Nautilus is not getting the engine unfortunately. The Nautilus could have used some more excitement with so many 3.0Ts in its price range at Audi and BMW. A next-gen Nautilus is still 4 years away so I think this should have been a more substantive update, especially the interior. The Aviator arriving in 2+ years may be the vehicle they prefer to focus on.
Where are you getting 4 years away from? 2, 3 tops.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The ST 2.7 now has the same output as the Nautilus 2.7, not more (335/380). Don't get me wrong, I don't like it and won't be replacing my '16 X with a Nautilus until it gets the 3.0L.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
2020 Ford Explorer Teased in Beijing, Will be Made in China and Chicago
Mircea Panait | Autoevolution

Remember the Lincoln Aviator Concept presented in March at the 2018 New York International Auto Show? That’s the preview for a luxury SUV, coming in 2019 for the 2020 model year. The newcomer will slot below the Navigator, and as you would expect from the Ford Motor Company, it will be twinned with the Explorer.

Today’s story is focused on the Explorer, with Ford working around the clock to finish development of the sixth generation in a timely fashion. Like the Aviator, the all-new Explorer will go official in 2019. And yes, it will too transition from the D4 (front-/all-wheel-drive) to the CD6 (rear-/front-/all-wheel-drive) platform.

Teased at Auto China 2018, the 2020 Ford Explorer appears to be less tapered at the front and boxier at the rear. The larger wheel wells and shorter hood manage to level up the mid-size crossover utility vehicle from the standpoint of exterior design. As for Ford’s mid-size SUV, that would be the all-new Bronco. Going on sale next year, the Bronco shares the body-on-frame construction with the Ranger.

In the first instance, the 2020 Explorer will be manufactured in China by the Dearborn-based automaker’s joint venture with Changan Automobile. Peter Fleet, president of Ford Asia Pacific, confirmed the information at the Chinese show. Fret not, however, for the Explorer and Aviator will be made at the Chicago Assembly Plant as well, starting from the first quarter of 2020. And now, the time is high to talk about the oily bits.

According to more or less official information, the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 will be offered as a standalone engine and in conjunction with a plug-in hybrid system. Both drivetrains will include the Ford-developed 10-speed automatic transmission, namely the 10R60 for the 3.0L GTDI and 10R80MHT for the 3.0L GTDI PHEV.

According to an older report on the Explorer, engine options will further include the 3.3-liter Ti-VCT V6 and 2.3-liter EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder. The twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6, meanwhile, will find application in the Explorer ST.

Look forward to the Explorer to shed off more secrets at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show, if not a bit later on. Pricing? The low-$30,000s is anticipated to be the starting point for the 3.3-liter V6 with rear-wheel-drive. For the all-wheel-drive Explorer ST, make that $50,000 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
So if I am understanding this correctly US sold Explorers and Aviators will be built in Chicago while Chinese sold Explorers and Aviators will be built in China.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
So if I am understanding this correctly US sold Explorers and Aviators will be built in Chicago while Chinese sold Explorers and Aviators will be built in China.
I'm guessing the Chicago-built Explorers will most likely be for North America and other export markets.

The default for the Chinese production is usually for the Chinese domestic market not unless it needs to take over the duties of another factory which will stop building the vehicle (like the US market Focus).

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Almost 10 years between the 2011 Explorer and this new gen.... Is not this too much? Is Ford making the same mistake they commited with the sedans (let the model too much time in the market without big overhaul) ? Is this the reason why the sales of the Ford SUVs/crossovers didn´t grow the same as others brands?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Almost 10 years between the 2011 Explorer and this new gen.... Is not this too much? Is Ford making the same mistake they commited with the sedans (let the model too much time in the market without big overhaul) ? Is this the reason why the sales of the Ford SUVs/crossovers didn´t grow the same as others brands?
I do feel they did the Explorer sit around too long like that have with many of the non F-Series products, but Im hoping this trend will end soon. Plus the Explorer has maintained strong sales, so a little more forgivable

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Yes, they let Explorer sit too long, but that misstep has been masked by Explorer's strong sales without them falling off like they have in other products.

181 - 200 of 236 Posts