Ford Inside News banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I still don't understand why Ford decided to use the 3.0t (the only Lincoln exclusive engine) on the Explorer. Ford has a lot of V6 to use like the 2.7EB
I wonder if Lincoln already has plans for a somewhat modified version of this, or if they are looking at exclusive hybrid options not offered at Ford.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Can't recall if Ford revealed an Explorer ST yet, and if not, I just did. It's coming.
They haven't revealed any Explorer models yet.

We knew an ST was coming though.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Can't recall if Ford revealed an Explorer ST yet, and if not, I just did. It's coming.
Not Ford but I do remember reading something about the next Explorer gaining an ST version.

I guess it was expected, specially after Ford unveiled the Edge ST. Looks like it will soon be bye bye for the "Sport" SUV model name.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I wonder if Lincoln already has plans for a somewhat modified version of this, or if they are looking at exclusive hybrid options not offered at Ford.
My guess (likely wrong) is that the Explorer ST will share the 3.0T with the Aviator. The hybrids will be different though. I feel the Explorer will likely use either a 2.0 or 2.3 Ecoboost hybrid combo (expect same in F150) wheres the Aviator will combine the hybrid system with either the 2.7 or 3.0 Ecoboost. Dont remember where I read by a Lincoln exec had said in an interview the Aviator hybrid would have "supercar" level power.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My guess (likely wrong) is that the Explorer ST will share the 3.0T with the Aviator. The hybrids will be different though. I feel the Explorer will likely use either a 2.0 or 2.3 Ecoboost hybrid combo (expect same in F150) wheres the Aviator will combine the hybrid system with either the 2.7 or 3.0 Ecoboost. Dont remember where I read by a Lincoln exec had said in an interview the Aviator hybrid would have "supercar" level power.
...that would be great. I'd love to get an Aviator Plug-in, but I wish Lincoln would start announcing stuff, so I can plan my purchasing. This holding everything close to the vest **** has to end. Cars aren't small purchases anymore and knowing more about a vehicle may convince me to hold off for six months.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
...that would be great. I'd love to get an Aviator Plug-in, but I wish Lincoln would start announcing stuff, so I can plan my purchasing. This holding everything close to the vest **** has to end. Cars aren't small purchases anymore and knowing more about a vehicle may convince me to hold off for six months.
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ Wish could thumb up more. Hate that Ford holds onto info for so long.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As already revealed here a ways back, Explorer gets:
-2.3 EB
-3.3 V6
-3.3 V6 HEV
-3.0 EB V6 (ST and Platinum models only)
Aviator is expected to get:
-3.0 TT V6 (same as above)
-3.0 TT V6 PHEV (Aviator US exclusive)
The mystery is if the Aviator will also get the 2.3 EB as a base engine....?

I think the reason why some Explorers will get the 3.0 EB V6 rather than a 2.7 EB V6 is basically to try to simplify the build! As it is, there's 5 unique engines being installed as it is.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Well, Aviator will be shown at one of the shows coming up in the next few months, so we'll likely have the info then.

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
As already revealed here a ways back, Explorer gets:
-2.3 EB
-3.3 V6
-3.3 V6 HEV
-3.0 EB V6 (ST and Platinum models only)
Aviator is expected to get:
-3.0 TT V6 (same as above)
-3.0 TT V6 PHEV (Aviator US exclusive)
The mystery is if the Aviator will also get the 2.3 EB as a base engine....?

I think the reason why some Explorers will get the 3.0 EB V6 rather than a 2.7 EB V6 is basically to try to simplify the build! As it is, there's 5 unique engines being installed as it is.
so aside from the style, the top Explorer gets the same as the Aviator (same engine, probably same tech, etc.)

221 - 236 of 236 Posts