Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beijing Auto looking to acquire a brand in Europe and U.S. - AutomotiveNews
April 3, 2014

BEIJING (Reuters) - Beijing Automotive Group, Daimler's Chinese partner, said it wants to buy a "mid to high-end brand" in Europe or the United States to boost its global presence and it already has candidates in mind.

The state-owned automaker said last year it was seeking to acquire an European brand, but now the search has extended to the United States, according to Dong Haiyang, who heads Beijing Auto's international expansion.

It will take time for Beijing Auto to break into global markets with its BAIC nameplate, which is little known overseas, so buying a foreign brand is a shortcut, Dong, president of BAIC International Development Co, told a media briefing in Beijing today.

"We have candidates," he said...

...The company, which acquired the technologies of General Motor Co's former Saab unit three years ago, in June set up an international unit to accelerate international expansion...

...Last week, Dongfeng signed an agreement to buy a 14 percent stake in struggling French carmaker PSA/Peugeot-Citroen, while Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, owner of Volvo Cars, in March acquired British electric-vehicle startup Emerald Automotive.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Not sure if any exisiting brands are on the market... what in the US could possibly work? It's not like a brand like Lincoln or Buick could even be seperated from their parent, unless it was just for the name (and I know full well that neither Ford nor GM would consier such a thing). Tesla? A few years back Saturn might have been doable, but it's buried and forgotten now. If I understand correctly they got Saab technology but not the name? I just don't see what brand it could be, I guess Lancia is as good a guess as any, but what could they possible be considering in the US?

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imho
Wonder if GM would like to garage-sale Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn, Opel, LaSalle and any other defunct NAMEPLATES??

HOWEVER, imho2
if BAIC wants to play politics in the U.S. to get people over a "China-stigma"
(& if it's legally possible)
All they hafta do is purchase the bad-asset GM-bk-leftover
and pay off all the claimants from the un-recalled RECALLS

·
Registered
161 Posts
BMW has been for sale for a long time..

Too big a shocker but it is possible.

Sergio could sell alfa Romeo to the Chinese....?

Sergio split off enough seperate brands in Chrysler/dodge/jeep/ram ....it's possible one brand name could be split off....ie dodge?

A Japanese nameplate could be sold to. The Chinese.....ie Mazda? In need of cash Infusions?

·
Registered
428 Posts
imho
Wonder if GM would like to garage-sale Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn, Opel, LaSalle and any other defunct NAMEPLATES??

HOWEVER, imho2
if BAIC wants to play politics in the U.S. to get people over a "China-stigma"
(& if it's legally possible)
All they hafta do is purchase the bad-asset GM-bk-leftover
and pay off all the claimants from the un-recalled RECALLS
If those are rules, how about Mercury?:lmao:

·
Registered
428 Posts
BMW has been for sale for a long time..

Too big a shocker but it is possible.

Sergio could sell alfa Romeo to the Chinese....?

Sergio split off enough seperate brands in Chrysler/dodge/jeep/ram ....it's possible one brand name could be split off....ie dodge?

A Japanese nameplate could be sold to. The Chinese.....ie Mazda? In need of cash Infusions?
The Quandts will NOT SELL BMW, JB!

And Sergio will not sell any of the italian brands, the Italians would literally kill him.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2b2 said:
imho
Wonder if GM would like to garage-sale Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn, Opel, LaSalle and any other defunct NAMEPLATES??...
If those are rules, how about Mercury? :ObviouslyConfused:

GM does Not NOW nor Ever has owned the rights to MERCURY...

(...which is only On Hiatus anyway

quote=me
"I firmly believe that FoMoCo is only temporarily INSANE")

·
Registered
428 Posts

GM does Not NOW nor Ever has owned the rights to MERCURY...

(...which is only On Hiatus anyway

quote=me
"I firmly believe that FoMoCo is only temporarily INSANE")
I wasn't implying that GM has the rights to Mercury. You mentioned brands that are dead and well.. Mercury is not alive, let's put it like that.:angel

I seriously respect your faith in a return of Mercury, even if it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I wasn't implying that GM has the rights to Mercury. You mentioned brands that are dead and well.. Mercury is not alive, let's put it like that.:angel

I seriously respect your faith in a return of Mercury, even if it doesn't happen.
Well if you wanna play that game then don't forget Plymouth, Eagle, GEO, Merkur, and Edsel

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

cough*OK*cough :angel

I was mainly poking GM Nameplates so they can pay for the recalls
re-:angel
&
I'm surprised one called me out on including Opel as defunct
re-re-:angel

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I'm pretty sure Mercury is going to be gone for the foreseeable future. Unless the world starts getting a taste for premium vehicles from smaller brands, Mercury won't come back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
^ may I suggest sitting in a new Audi A3 (high end)
to see
what Mercury should be
what should be Mercury...

...'cept of course WITH a dual-back-hatch and WITH Hybrid powertrains

this fanboy moment has been brought to you by
& 2b2
we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
yes because god forbid Lincoln makes something more that long cars!!!

I'm not against Mercury philosophy... But why so many rules to Lincoln?

Lincoln can't have a super sport car
Lincoln can't have a high performance identity.. Because old people could die from a heart attack cuz the excitement..
can't have small cars...

fried cheese guys!!! How old are you??

do u guys even go to tracks or have clubs of drivers?

I say Lincoln should have a focus variant on the RS ... Audi is making noise there, MB is doing very well there,

·
Registered
428 Posts
cough*OK*cough :angel

I was mainly poking GM Nameplates so they can pay for the recalls
re-:angel
&
I'm surprised one called me out on including Opel as defunct
re-re-:angel
Hahaha Fair point, poor Opel. :facepalm:

GM has cars that can shut down in the highway and kill you and Ford has vehicles that can catch fire and kill you so we are cool.:angel

cough *Mercury is probably going to be bought by the Chinese* cough :lmao:

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wanted to inject an interesting-imho viewpoint in GMI's "Beijing Auto looking to acquire a brand in Europe and U.S"
from SierraGS

If GM sold Opel/Vauxhall to BAIC then GM will disappear.

BAIC will ensure GM never has a presence in Europe again since it can easily lower Opel/Vauxhall prices to "break-even" levels to increase sales and "eliminate" weaker European brands along with a few Asian brands which leaves no room for any "new" brands. Similar process will occur in the U.S. using a strong brand name, tons of cash and some time - remember you are dealing with a "100 year plan" strategy, not a "100 day" one. A "large brand" is all the Chinese need to dominate the global Auto market since that "brand" will have the sales volume of a large brand to dominate markets and financial backing of the Chinese government (directly or indirectly) to sustain it, and nobody can outspend them.​

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
^ may I suggest sitting in a new Audi A3 (high end)
to see
what Mercury should be
what should be Mercury...

...'cept of course WITH a dual-back-hatch and WITH Hybrid powertrains

this fanboy moment has been brought to you by
& 2b2
we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
I think Mercury is coming back. http://www.mercuryvehicles.com

I see Ford moving all Ford brand cars into more of a upscale/sport/performance category with a more sporty look. Which allows Mercury to come back as a softer entry luxury brand below Lincoln, for consumers who want a Ford, but want luxury and relaxed/less sporty/less edgy style, and not ready to upgrade/pay for a Lincoln.

The vehicle names are great on the Mercury side. Capri, Cougar, Milan, Sable, Mariner, Mountaineer.

Which could be why Ford is rapidly giving all Ford brand cars the same(Aston Martin) face, Lincoln vehicles are getting the same face, and next Mercury vehicles can have the same face.

This works under the One Ford Plan also, because it was never just Ford brand cars, but selling the same model across the globe.

Actually the more relaxed style of Mercury may be what's needed in the Chinese market, which is why Buick does so well.

OR

The Mercury brand can come back as a High Tech Electric Only brand. It would be Fords' direct competition for Tesla. Set up like Apple/Tesla stores in shopping malls.

Offering light weight (aluminum/carbon fiber/magnesium/titanium) full EV models in each segment. Offering 3 different platform based 200+ mile battery packs.

B-Segment = 5-door hatch/sedan

C-Segment = Capri 5-door hatch/sedan

C/D-Segment = Milan midsize sedan

D-Segment Car = Sable

D-Segment - Mariner SUV

Let Ford and Lincoln brands offer the hybrids and plug-in hybrids. Mercury goes All Electric.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts