Ford Inside News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue Oval May Ditch MyFord Touch Under New CEO

Previously serving as COO, as well as other executive positions, Fields will be charged with continuing the upward trend started under Mulally, who lead the company to 19 consecutive profitable quarters. However, for the new boss, that may mean giving up on MyFord Touch.
Ford's proprietary infotainment system has consistently been bashed by everybody from car reviewers to official company reps, to your grandma, and it’s been hinted in the past that they are not necessarily bound to using it and can look at other alternatives too.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/blue-oval-may-ditch-myford-touch-under.html

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Yeah, bashed by those who mostly don't actually use it.
I love mine, as do most who do own and use it. I have loved it in every vehicle I have had since they offered it, as I am never without it. But hey, as long as something comes along with same or more functionality, I could care less. Just don't give up on the tech.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
MyFord Touch is the best most capable car infotainment system and is not going anywhere. It's just moving to the new Blackberry OS that offers more functionality and facilitates a faster/more responsive gui interface.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
MyFord Touch is the best most capable car infotainment system and is not going anywhere. It's just moving to the new Blackberry OS that offers more functionality and facilitates a faster/more responsive gui interface.
^^^ This, they're going to move to a worthy OS in QNX and away from the disaster that is MS! Now maybe they'll want to make it clear to everybody that they've made the change by, oh, I don't know, CHANGING THE F'CKING NAME!

:tongue:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd argue Chrysler's U-Connect is a bit better right now. It doesn't look as fancy as MFT, but it's functionally a little easier to use and much more responsive. MFT's biggest issue is screen response which will hopefully be corrected with the move to QNX.

Still, I'd argue MyLincoln Touch is a much better infotainment system than competing ones from Audi, Mercedes, and BMW. Cadillac's Cue system has got to be the worst offender. Even Lexus and Acura have gotten more complicated systems. Lincoln's move back to physical buttons will only help versus the competition and the base layout is already fairly intuitive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Car companies should offer two types of dashboard controls. First one should be basic with knobs for the ones who don't have computers and not computer savie. The second should be for the " I can do it blindfolded." There are just a lot of people who are never around computers and couldn't care less about them. Operating a touch screen is like knowing how to operate a computer.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ford may need to change the name as a marketing move to promote a completely new next-gen system. I trust them on this, they know what they need to do to solve one of its biggest quality troubles in recent memory which has turned into a persistent PR nightmare.

Lincoln will likely change its infotainment name as well to further distinguish their brand, and hopefully a new UI will also help to distinguish that experience.

I happen to like the MFT UI better than U-Connect, but U-Connect certainly works allot better. In any case, change is definitely welcome here.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I enjoy mine a lot in my 2011 Explorer but wish it offered more flexibility by making apps that allow for more customization. I'm a fan of Star Trek and would love to make my screens look like its LCARS. I'd like to be able to mix analog and digital gauges using various colors, fonts, and styles.

·
Registered
428 Posts
No need to ditch MFT. They need to give the system a new look, make it faster(take UConnect as an example), put some buttons back, and new features. They can make MFT a winner in all acounts and shut up the critics.

Also, change the name in the Lincoln system, it's to similar Ford's system. Give it a cool name, Lincoln has a few they can use or even better, bring a brand new name for the system.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Let's not forget it was Fields who made Sync (and Ecoboost, back then called Twin Force) happen.

It seems MSFT has failed to improve their software well enough and QNX is eating MSFTs lunch ...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not sure why people keep harping on MSFT as the culprit for MFTs problems. The operating system is not the problem, the software running on top of it is. If the software that is MFT was coded properly to begin with, Ford may not have become the infotainment whipping boy it has become. Ford simply chose the wrong partner to implement MFT, and maybe lacked the hands-on oversight during development to recognize issues before the software was unleashed on its customers.

QNX is well thought of and should help streamline the operating system aspect. The main benefit will come from the actual MFT software being re-written by a capable, and competent, set of developers.

The promise of MFT is/was amazing. Few systems out there offer the sheer power and capability that MFT does. Only problem was that it worked better in a press release than it ever did in a car. Keep the feature set, add more 'real' buttons to the dash, and get some good programmers working for you. There you go, MFT fixed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts