Ford Inside News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Spaminator
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

BMW Unveils the Concept 6-Series Coupe​

We’ve known for some time that BMW has been working on the next-generation 6 Series, so it doesn’t come as a big surprise that BMW is using the impending 2010 Paris auto show to outline what it's planning for the new 6 with its Concept 6 Series Coupe.

Honoring its coupe tradition, BMW took its current 6 Series and gave it a newly sculpted body. The 6 Series concept evokes the image of the Gran Coupe presented at the Beijing auto show earlier this year but with less two doors. It's a softer overall look than the current 6 Series but still emits a strong presence from front to back.

The headlights are the first from the Bavarian automaker to mate an all-LED setup with the familiar twin-round design. LEDs can be found everywhere illumination is desired, including the main lights, daytime running lights, foglights, and signal indicators. LED light strips, which continue to grow in popularity and application, are attached to the concept's front face. In addition to consuming less power, BMW is pleased to announce its Adaptive Headlight function will change the light spray depending on steering angle and vehicle speed. Drivers will only need to remember to look through the turn.

The 6 Series concept’s flanks feature four flowing lines to give the lengthy body substance, while unique 20-inch alloy wheels sport a one-off design. The Concept 6 Series Coupe's new presence stretches to the rear, where the L-shaped, LED taillights look similar to the 5 Series Gran Turismo. Like the front, the rear fascia gives off a hunkered-down look to round out the wide, low body package. Trapezoidal exhaust outlets are another appearance distinction.

Full text at this Link:

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_vehicles/1009_bmw_concept_6_series_coupe/index.html#ixzz0zvp4OXo1

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I see this car as a Ford Thunderbird bad copy. Look at this, the 1998 Thunderbird. Same greenhouse, same "flat and low" look, but in the BMW too much lines and curves and some "Bangle" styling elements that make the car less elegant and simple than the Ford.

Give me the Thunderbird, please....

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I see this car as a Ford Thunderbird bad copy. Look at this, the 1998 Thunderbird. Same greenhouse, same "flat and low" look, but in the BMW too much lines and curves and some "Bangle" styling elements that make the car less elegant and simple than the Ford.

Give me the Thunderbird, please....
OK, I guess it was bound to happen one day but you are putting my Ford allegiance to the test . . . Falcon Lover, the MN12 T-Bird doesn't look anything like this 6 series concept. None of them is a bad looking car but there are 21 years of difference and also quite a few dollars in price, and it shows. That particular example of MN12 you chose in your picture, the one from the late 1990s is the worse looking IMHO, with that really fugly front end. I liked the original from 1989 much much better.

There is a resemblance with the 6 series, yes. After all the MN12 was modeled with the original 6-series 1976-1989 as a benchmark.

Now, this new series concept, which like Austin said, looks 100% production ready, simply carries on the BMW tradition of great looking coupes (which was challenged but the current 6-series rear end), basically is a full size version of a 3-series coupe and a gorgeous one at that. That's all . . .

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Nice looking coupe...just a little too busy in the front. The wheels look terrible though.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Falcon Lover you mean 97 right?

97 was the last year for the T-Bird and Cougar ;)

98 for the Mark VIII

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Ok, i agree with SobeSVT, this red Tbird is better than the last car from that generation. But the design proportions of the 2 cars are the same. I dont like actual BMWs. Too complicated style.too busy lines. And now, quality problems. Did you see the BMW and Rolls Royce recall? Could you imagine a brakes problems in a Rolls Royce that cause a "massive" cars recall??? That´s BMW fault......

I insist, give me that red Tbird! Keep your BMW, please

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
I see this car as a Ford Thunderbird bad copy...
all-just-imho
the 6-series 2-door is a MUSTANG-clone**...
...a cost-no-object/more-money-then-sense ripoff
&
per my Thunderbird/epitome-class as Aston Martin Rapide theory,
the 6er GranCoupé is a nextgen-Tbird ripoff

** it'll be real interesting to see how the LincStang does against it (not just the 3/4-series)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts