Ford Inside News banner

281 - 300 of 638 Posts

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I don't think that's close. Profile will obviously be similar to the 2004 concept which was inspired by the 1st gen Bronco. The greenhouse is boxy and the windshield is more vertical.

Is incredible that Ford management thinks that the Fusion/Taurus customers will buy this vehicle instead those sedans... Bronco is a completely new market segment for Ford. Ford is abandoning a segment (sedans) to enter another one (rugged SUVs). Ok, ok, ok, SUVs are more profitable. But Ford is despising a group of Ford product consumers to go to conquer another completely different. They will be successful?

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Is incredible that Ford management thinks that the Fusion/Taurus customers will buy this vehicle instead those sedans... Bronco is a completely new market segment for Ford. Ford is abandoning a segment (sedans) to enter another one (rugged SUVs). Ok, ok, ok, SUVs are more profitable. But Ford is despising a group of Ford product consumers to go to conquer another completely different. They will be successful?
Well, I would absolutely trade in my Taurus lease for a Bronco, if it was available at the time. But that's just me:grin2:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I think Ford wants its car customers to move to car-based SUV/CUVs, not necessarily hardcore body on frame SUVs.
Then again, no SUV can match the handling/dynamics of a sedan without resorting to "aggressive sports suspension".

When it comes to efficiency, you'll probably have to spend extra for electrification above the default premium an SUV has above an equivalent sedan.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
I think that a base Ford Edge today has equal or better handling dynamics than a base sedan from a few decades ago, except perhaps at extreme limits. But an Edge ST can really make up much of the difference of a moderate sport sedan enough that few would miss the benefits that a sport sedan makes up for. I also think that today's generation cares far less anyway, hence the departure from sedans.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
During this time a year ago, we already saw many photos of the 2019 US market Ranger prototype.
If the Bronco will make its debut a year after the US Ranger, shouldn't we be seeing spy photos of Bronco prototypes by now?

PS: They better make the New Bronco global just like the Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ranger was just a mild update of an existing vehicle, we were seeing Rangers for years anyway. Bronco is being developed in Australia which may explain why we don't see much yet. I can probably get a date on Bronco but it's a very late 2020MY product like Ranger is a very Late 2019 MY product.

·
Registered
511 Posts
So how extreme do you guys think Ford will make Bronco, do you think it will be

a chunky Iconic Ford Brand vehicle that takes you back to another time, a vehicle
that represents everything good about an old fashioned yet 21st century Bronco.

Will it be one vehicle that does everything or two, an on road and an off road?

I'm beginning to think that what will be needed could not possibly be covered by
just one vehicle type....

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
So how extreme do you guys think Ford will make Bronco, do you think it will be a chunky Iconic Ford Brand vehicle that takes you back to another time, a vehicle that represents everything good about an old fashioned yet 21st century Bronco.
I feel its going to be a 21st century interpretation of the early Bronco without it being retro, sort of like the 2004 Concept.

I'm expecting the 2020 Bronco to look like it went through the same evolution as the Wrangler (from the pre-Wrangler CJ5/CJ7 to the latest Wrangler JL) and pretend the large F-series-based Bronco never happened.

Will it be one vehicle that does everything or two, an on road and an off road?
With what Ford has learned with its "Built Ford Tough" pickup trucks and their Raptor versions, i'm sure Ford can make a capable off-road vehicle that will still ride and handle well on the road.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good thoughts,,,
I've been thinking along the lines of the capabilities of a "T6 SUV" split into two great vehicles
that cover all the needs expressed by lots of people who want more than just an Everest:

Vesicle one - looks a million dollars on the road and goes hard like a muscular beast of yore and
Vehicle two - can go rock crawling and all the extreme off road stuff people have been wanting......

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Good thoughts,,,
I've been thinking along the lines of the capabilities of a "T6 SUV" split into two great vehicles that cover all the needs expressed by lots of people who want more than just an Everest:

Vesicle one - looks a million dollars on the road and goes hard like a muscular beast of yore and
Vehicle two - can go rock crawling and all the extreme off road stuff people have been wanting......
I think the Bronco (which I believe will be available as a short 2-door and a longer 4-door) can cover those roles.

If the Bronco will make it to Asia-Pacific markets, I'm sure it can coexist with the more mainstream-looking Everest.

PS: The Everest is a very capable SUV, think of it as a modern version of the original Explorer.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Jim Farley addressed comparisons of the Bronco to the Wrangler by saying that they don't see the Bronco as a Wrangler competitor, instead they are focusing on class leading speed and on-road performance. So I'm sure the Bronco will be just as capable as an Everest, but the Wrangler is a very specific type of extreme rock-crawling off-roader.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Jim Farley addressed comparisons of the Bronco to the Wrangler by saying that they don't see the Bronco as a Wrangler competitor, instead they are focusing on class leading speed and on-road performance. So I'm sure the Bronco will be just as capable as an Everest, but the Wrangler is a very specific type of extreme rock-crawling off-roader.

High speed Baja-style runs is part of Bronco's history...
- https://www.offroadxtreme.com/news/rod-halls-69-baja-winning-ford-bronco-restored-for-15-norra-1000/
...but I'm sure it can tackle minor rock crawling like a stock Wrangler.

I'm expecting it to have similar drive modes to the Ranger Raptor...
https://youtu.be/Hjizwv25w8k

281 - 300 of 638 Posts