Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 673 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Of interest, Ford Thailand sells a short wheelbase Ranger with a 5 foot flat bed,
wheelbase is 2850mm or 112"...LINK

That would almost be perfect for a SWB two-door Utility...if that is he direction Bronco will go...

2850mm (112.2in) also happens to be the wheelbase of the Everest.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The difference is that SWB Ranger is leaf Spring rear where as Everest is Watts Link with coil springs...
There's an opportunity to do Bronco as either one...
Yes, i'm familiar with both.
I guess they'll go for coil springs like the Wrangler.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Theere could be a change next gen to Watts link all around, that would put Ranger on par with Tacoma.
I think the Ranger is fine with rear leaf springs.

The Nissan NP300 Navara which replaces the Frontier/Navara outside North America is offered with coil spring rear suspension. It works well without heavy loads on the pickup bed, but once you load it up the rear drops and bottoms out when it hits bumps.

Last I heard Nissan plans to stiffen the rear coil springs.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
YAY! :clap: another place for podcasts ...& stalking Mark Stevenson...

2020 Bronco News... & EPA Probes FCA's 3.0L EcoDiesel
FutureMotoring

Chad Kirchner | Tuesday, January 17 2017 | 26 mins 39 secs

In This Episode
We talk to The Truth About Cars's Mark Stevenson about the latest and greatest 2020 Bronco news and rumors. Will it be the enthusiast vehicle we're all hoping for, or is Ford going to give us a washed-over Everest? Signs are looking good towards the enthusiast special.

We also discuss the EPA's probe into the FCA US 3.0L EcoDiesel found in the Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Are they in violation of the Clean Air Act? Here's what we know.

All of that and more on the Future Motoring podcast!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the Ranger is fine with rear leaf springs.

The Nissan NP300 Navara which replaces the Frontier/Navara outside North America is offered with coil spring rear suspension. It works well without heavy loads on the pickup bed, but once you load it up the rear drops and bottoms out when it hits bumps.

Last I heard Nissan plans to stiffen the rear coil springs.
My boss has an NP300 with diesel and 7AT, he sometimes loads it up pretty good with car trailer and horse float,
and the drop in back is not as bad as you'd imagine and the ride is miles ahead of our former D22s

Pretty sure that Ranger will stay with foolproof leaf springs but nice to muse on the possibilities vs Tacoma,
it's not the top selling mid-sized just by default, Toyota actually dod a lot to improve it..:wink2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Ford plan for the USA Ranger and next Bronco is easy:

Ranger: a midcicle facelifted current truck. Nothing new. We have to wait to see wich engines they will launch with the truck in USA. Expect a 4 cyl (Ecoboost?) standard and a small V6 optional. No diesel in USA

Bronco: Ford will take the current Everest (maybe with a facelift) and put the Bronco moniker on it. That is all. No new model different from the Everest because that need a big invest. Engines? The same as the USA Ranger.

Dont expect a 2 door retro styled Bronco... No soft roof....no extreme offroad vehicle like the Raptor... Is easy to see the next Bronco: take a current Everest picture, change the grille and headligths , and, maybe, the tailligths too... But not so much. Put the brave horse on the sides of the vehicle and is ready!
With all the "new" ford products EcoSport, Fiesta, ford has had a pattern of doing the minimum to get by. I am not surprised about the Ranger and definitely not surprised about the Bronco.

:frown2:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
All this Bronco talk has really got me wanting to buy a classic one, but prices have gone way up lol.
I was looking last year at some early 90s Broncos and the prices were not bad at all and rust free thanks to FL weather. I may hold off till the new one debuts though :angel

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was looking last year at some early 90s Broncos and the prices were not bad at all and rust free thanks to FL weather. I may hold off till the new one debuts though :angel
I was looking at the late 70's early 80's. Found a really nice 78, then saw the $39,000 price :'(

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
from posts elsewhere ([email protected]Link), it sounds like a 2-door Bronco will measure around
172-ish length, 99-ish wlb, 75-ish width
very roughly/fwiw
but then imho, 2 variants: Bronco+Everest-ish, are not unlikely :angel

& also fwiw
...Ford Bronco will have solid axles, too
AutomotiveNews

Larry P. Vellequette - January 24, 2017

...In an investor presentation this month, Dana revealed that it had won the driveline work for the return of the Ford Bronco in 2020, along with the Ford Ranger in 2019. Dana confirmed that both vehicles will have “front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology.”...

...And it means that Ford Motor Co. Executive Chairman Bill Ford wasn’t kidding when he said this month: “It will be a true, tough Bronco; a real off-road vehicle.”...

... in 2006, however, when DaimlerChrysler had the once-in-a-lifetime smarts to add two rear doors and a usable back seat to the venerable Wrangler, transforming the former niche off-roader into a profit-making war machine...

...And here’s a kicker: The Bronco’s axles will be made in the same new plant in Toledo, Ohio, that is about to begin making axles for the next-generation Wrangler...

ps - I moved the Ranger thread to the truck-pickup section :nerd:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Why the New Bronco Will Beat Wrangler
Ford-Trucks(enthusiasts).com

By Brett Foote - January 30, 2017

For Decades, Jeep Wrangler Faced No Competition. With a New Bronco Coming, Those Days Will Soon Be Over
We barely know anything about the new Bronco, but that didn’t stop...
Why do some sites/blogs still think the upcoming Bronco will look just like a mildly facelifted Troller T4?

The current Troller T4 was clearly an attempt (by Ford?) to move Troller styling away from the old designs which looked like near-copies of the old Wrangler...

...but if you look closely, the current Troller T4 still follows the same long hood proportions (with the front axle pushed forward) as the old Troller and Wrangler.

This is a 1st gen Bronco with its distinctive proportions.

Give the Troller T4 a 7-slat grille and it can pass off as a futuristic Wrangler concept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I worked at the Twin Cities assembly plant building Rangers and F-series. I've owned both and now have the Explorer Sport and love it. I'm excited about the Bronco. I'm definitely going to test drive. I had over 300,000 miles on my F-150 and only replace brakes and tires. Ford Trucks are tough to beat. http://minneapolisinsuranceteam.com Progressive Independent Insurance agents

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Ford’s Own Raj Nair Puts Enthusiasts’ Fears to Rest Regarding New Bronco’s Design

Thankfully, Ford Executive Vice President Raj Nair squashed the rumors with a little clarification. He addressed the Bronco with Autoline Detroit‘s John McElroy. McElroy specifically asked if the new Bronco would simply be a North American version of the Everest.

“No, it’s a separate vehicle. It will be an incremental vehicle from the Everest,” Nair told McElroy. “The Everest kind of serves a lot of off-road capability; maybe the space of the Explorer serves here in the U.S., but with a body-on-frame construction with a lot more off-road capability for the rest of the world. This Bronco is completely unique from that Everest. It is body-on-frame and so again, focusing on that off-road capability.”

“This new Bronco will be based off the Ranger platform and so it’s going to be a similarly sized vehicle to what you see in the Ranger. Now, for our American customers who have never seen that global Ranger, it’s a bit bigger than the Ranger we used to have here in the U.S., so I would say it’s kind of in-between in what you saw with that really big Bronco [the 1992-1996 model], and then the smaller Bronco [1966-1977].”

41 - 60 of 673 Posts