1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buick to launch Avenir as high-end subbrand
AutomotiveNews

Nick Bunkley - September 30, 2016

...Avenir will be Buick’s equivalent of Denali at the GMC brand. It will include larger wheels, a unique grille and premium trim features, among other upgrades...

...“Avenir will be Buick’s signature -- the highest expression of the luxury experiences we’re delivering now and in the future.”...

Buick Announces Avenir Sub-Brand To Join Future Products In 2018
GMauthority.com

Sean Szymkowski — Sep 30, 2016

...So, what’s in a name? Buick states Avenir vehicles will be “concept car” inspired and add distinct touches such as a three-dimensional mesh grille, larger wheels and unique trim finishes...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: Buick's 'coming' {GrayLabel}

I seriously considered the new LaCrosse, which stems from the Avenir concept. The LaCrosse is beautiful and geared to the huge China market where Buick is a true premium brand. I looked at the LaCrosse and it is indeed a pretty car and the interior is the equal to MKZ Lincoln. But they blew it in application. By that I mean there are things traditional Buick owners want that they discarded and will probably do so in the Avenir application. Here are a few - no cd player, trunk will unlatch electronically but then you must manually open it up or close it, no auto folding side mirrors, a strange configuration on the gear shift, cylinder deactivation (if I pay for six cylinders I want them all the time), and a few other things.

The omissions are minor and I could have lived with all of them. But the deal breaker was this - no disable button for eco start/stop. I don't care how seamless they say this is I refuse to buy a car where they force start/stop on you and then will not allow you to disable it under any circumstance. I hope the Avenir brand will not bend to the chief engineer's whims.

·
Registered
280 Posts

I feel like Buick really missed a significant opportunity here to make a statement with their recent concepts both of which were absolutely stunning. Perhaps its not their fault, the big whigs at GM obviously don't want anything to overshadow their pride and joy Cadillac. :facepalm:

·
Registered
10,941 Posts

I seriously considered the new LaCrosse, which stems from the Avenir concept. The LaCrosse is beautiful and geared to the huge China market where Buick is a true premium brand. I looked at the LaCrosse and it is indeed a pretty car and the interior is the equal to MKZ Lincoln. But they blew it in application. By that I mean there are things traditional Buick owners want that they discarded and will probably do so in the Avenir application. Here are a few - no cd player, trunk will unlatch electronically but then you must manually open it up or close it, no auto folding side mirrors, a strange configuration on the gear shift, cylinder deactivation (if I pay for six cylinders I want them all the time), and a few other things.

The omissions are minor and I could have lived with all of them. But the deal breaker was this - no disable button for eco start/stop. I don't care how seamless they say this is I refuse to buy a car where they force start/stop on you and then will not allow you to disable it under any circumstance. I hope the Avenir brand will not bend to the chief engineer's whims.
I too have a huge issue with both cylinder deactivation and start/stop as features that you can't control. Cylinder deactivation in itself does very little to improve fuel economy, and adds a significant amount of complexity. I don't want it standard. Period. And start/stop although relatively simplistic, should never be able to NOT be deactivated. I am shocked that GM does this. In a Ford or Lincoln, you can either shut if off using a menus system that takes about 20-30 seconds on average, or, just put it the shifter in S, which takes a fraction of a second. This disables it, and activates other modes, which typically coincide with your driving mode that does not want a slight bump in FE.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

I really kind of feel bad for Buick, personally I think their designs are far more attractive than what Cadillac is putting out, but because of their place in the pecking order they arent allowed to do daring things. Can't step on big brother Cadillac's toes.

·
Registered
394 Posts

I have no problem w cylinder deactivation...in fact, I'm only shopping cars w this as it works seemlessly from my experience. Auto stop on all gms afaik can either be defeated through a button on the dash and/or through having the car in any gear but drive. So as long as I can defeat it, it seems to be inevitable in most cars now so I'll just adjust np.

·
Registered
394 Posts

I really kind of feel bad for Buick, personally I think their designs are far more attractive than what Cadillac is putting out, but because of their place in the pecking order they arent allowed to do daring things. Can't step on big brother Cadillac's toes.
Nah don't feel bad...Buick sells more product than Cadillac and will only get better soon if the new lacrosse is any indication imo. And both brands have their own separate fan base. I personally would not even consider a Buick at this point. But still nice to have choice.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Auto start / stop cannot be turned off in most GM products. There is NO button in most of them. If you have to shift out of drive to not have it shut off, what is the point??

·
Registered
10,941 Posts

Auto start / stop cannot be turned off in most GM products. There is NO button in most of them. If you have to shift out of drive to not have it shut off, what is the point??
I heard this to be true, but I have not driven a GM product in a while. Not one with it anyway.
I think this is a huge mistake by GM, if true.

·
Registered
394 Posts

The ct6 has a dedicated defeat button on cue and xt5 and Malibu will disengage auto stop if driven in "M" (manual) and I assume all GM will be the same.

But I agree w others that I would not buy a car that I cannot defeat the auto stop but if it means driving in "M", that's cool...I'd be doing that anyway

·
Registered
388 Posts

Yes, some Cadillacs are the only ones with the button.

For the 6 people who will drive their Malibu in "M" that is great. For the vast majority............... not so much.

·
Registered
394 Posts

For the 6 people who will drive their Malibu in "M" that is great. For the vast majority............... not so much.
I'm sure that the remaining thousands of owners will be fine w the auto stop. How bad must fords system be for u to be so negative to new technology?

From car and driver:
"Engine stop/start technology is standard, and GM’s system is one of the best of its kind. The V-6 shuts off imperceptibly when you come to a halt, and it transmits only a minor, barely noticeable vibration to the cabin upon restart."

·
Registered
10,941 Posts

So you have to put the shifter into Manual mode that requires shifting gears yourself, so as to be able to disengage start/stop?

I definately like Ford's setup better. I can just leave it in S and drive it like an automatic, like I intentionally purchased it for.

·
Registered
394 Posts

So you have to put the shifter into Manual mode that requires shifting gears yourself, so as to be able to disengage start/stop?

I definately like Ford's setup better. I can just leave it in S and drive it like an automatic, like I intentionally purchased it for.
I haven't tried it myself. Just going by what the owners manual said in the three cars I mentioned. And I am not familiar w what "s" does in the ford/Lincoln...does that not mean sport w manual shifting? The "m" could mean medium like it does in one of my cars for all I know. Now u got me wondering...I'll have to investigate this issue

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

...How bad must fords system be for u to be so negative to new technology?...
tho not eXactly the same thing, Ford's was the first hybrid that got praise for smoothness of operation = was THE Best.
My only personal experience was with the Z-hybrid
and there was absolutely No sensation of transition - in fact I had to listen Very closely to be able to detect *if* the engine was running.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts

Some quick searching reveals that an M shift option puts the transmission into Manual, which requires driver input to change gears. In some premium models, probably Cadillac only, there is an M button nearby that allows you to to keep pressing it to toggle through Mode setups for Sport, Winter/Ice, Rain, etc. Not sure which one would disengage the Start/Stop, if at all.

S shift selection puts the vehicle into Sport mode, firming up dampers and steering, shift points, etc. And it turns off S/S

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

this may not be related but I'm the suspicious sort...

GMC's design head adds Buick duties
AutomotiveNews

Nick Gibbs - November 27, 2016

GMC design head Helen Emsley has been given responsibility for Buick as well, GM's design chief has confirmed.

"Helen is the right person to do it because she has this innate ability to pull a team together and all pointing in the same direction," Michael Simcoe told Automotive News this month at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

He said that Emsley, who was born in Yorkshire, England, is also the right person to ensure the brand's design reflected its global reach, which includes a huge presence in China.

Emsley replaces Bryan Nesbitt, 47, who takes a new role as a global design strategist for GM, a spokesman for Buick said. Nesbitt has headed Buick's global design since July last year.

Emsley, 51, was named one of Automotive News' 100 Leading Women in the North American Auto Industry in 2000 and 2015.

She joined GM in 1989 after studying at London's Royal Academy of Arts. She moved to the U.S. in 1998 to manage GM's color and trim studio in the automaker's Technical Center in Warren, Mich.

Emsley designed the interior of the 2014 Corvette Stingray and was given responsibility for the interior design of GM's trucks before being promoted in 2013 to head of GMC design.

·
Registered
528 Posts

I guess I do not understand the vitriol against CD and especially S/S .... definitely not in a FWD based car or crossover. This is a tool for commuting people from a to b (that is 90% of it) .. some of them do it with 2 people, some with 4, may with 5 and others with 6,7,8, or more ... some can add AWD, some have more ground clearance, some can accelerate faster .....

But non-niche FWD unibody vehicle is a tool for shuttling people in luxury and efficiency. I see no need to disable S/S ... then again -- I drive a hybrid.. what do I know?

(on trucks, tow rigs, sports cars and sport versions of mainstream cars (RS, ST, etc) ..... I can see the need).

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

this may not be related but I'm the suspicious sort...

GMC's design head adds Buick duties
AutomotiveNews

Nick Gibbs - November 27, 2016

GMC design head Helen Emsley has been given responsibility for Buick as well, GM's design chief has confirmed.

"Helen is the right person to do it because she has this innate ability to pull a team together and all pointing in the same direction," Michael Simcoe told Automotive News this month at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

He said that Emsley, who was born in Yorkshire, England, is also the right person to ensure the brand's design reflected its global reach, which includes a huge presence in China.

Emsley replaces Bryan Nesbitt, 47, who takes a new role as a global design strategist for GM, a spokesman for Buick said. Nesbitt has headed Buick's global design since July last year.

Emsley, 51, was named one of Automotive News' 100 Leading Women in the North American Auto Industry in 2000 and 2015.

She joined GM in 1989 after studying at London's Royal Academy of Arts. She moved to the U.S. in 1998 to manage GM's color and trim studio in the automaker's Technical Center in Warren, Mich.

Emsley designed the interior of the 2014 Corvette Stingray and was given responsibility for the interior design of GM's trucks before being promoted in 2013 to head of GMC design.
So does that mean Buicks will now get real blocky and square like? :angel:-(

1 - 20 of 87 Posts