Ford Inside News banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Re: Buick's 'coming' {GrayLabel}

It's still interesting the talk about car sales being down, while at the same time we see some car/cuv/suv sales increasing and decreasing. Just look at the Buick numbers for 2015/2016. Enclave cuv is down just over 1k units, while the Encore is up just over 2k units. LaCrosse is down just over 1k units just like Enclave, with Regal being up about 600 units. The point I am making is that small, med, large car sales are not declining, but it's just that many customers are moving between cars and cuvs from purchase to purchase. As consumers are buying what's new and different than what they already had.

Looking at the old Taurus for the 2015/2016 year, it was down -9%, while the 300 was up .4%, and Explorer was down -.3%, Cherokee down -9.5% and Navigator was down -12.9%. Which indicates that the manufacturers are really driving the market toward higher margin CUV/SUVs, with faster replacements for those vehicles, while letting sedans sit longer, becoming less desirable. Because when you look at the sedans and coupes that are selling, they are the new models.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)

WTHeck / get 'em while ya can...

Buick expected to replace Regal sedan with 5-door-hatch & Wagon!
AutomotiveNews » Future Product » Buick

Michael Wayland - March 14, 2017

General Motors plans to replace the Buick Regal sedan in the United States with a sedan-styled five-door hatchback and Buick’s first wagon in two decades, according to two auto forecast firms.

The new Regal models are expected to be rebadged versions of Opel’s Insignia Grand Sport hatchback and Insignia Sports Tourer wagon, which were showcased last week at the Geneva auto show.

Cutting the Regal sedan is an aggressive move for Buick, but not surprising given the market’s shift from cars to higher-riding and more spacious crossovers and SUVs.

U.S. sales of midsize sedans have dropped for two consecutive years, and the segment is off 20 percent in the first two months of 2017.

A hatchback provides the styling of a sedan but some of the storage capacity and flexibility of a crossover, which accounted for nearly two-thirds of Buick’s 229,631 U.S. sales in 2016.

GM most recently hinted at plans to develop a hatchback with sedan styling when it introduced the five-door Cadillac Escala concept car in August.

The 2018 Buick Regal is scheduled to make its global debut on April 4 at GM’s Warren Technical Center in suburban Detroit, a week ahead of its first auto show appearance in New York alongside the redesigned Buick Enclave crossover.

Buick spokesman Stuart Fowle declined to comment on the body types planned for the next-generation Regal, which has been a midsize sedan since the automaker resurrected the nameplate in 2010.

LMC Automotive and AutoForecast Solutions expect the hatchback and wagon versions of the Regal to be built at Opel’s Ruesselsheim factory in Germany and imported to the U.S.

A sedan version of the next-gen Regal is expected to be produced in China for that market but not exported to the U.S. or Europe. It is expected to be introduced in April at the Shanghai auto show. Leaked photos of the car show hood lines compared to the hatchback’s that align with the large glass window.

Current production of the Regal for the U.S. is expected to end at GM’s Oshawa, Ontario, assembly plant this year.

The Regal wagon would be Buick’s first entry in the segment since production of the Century and Roadmaster ended in the mid-1990s.

The next-generation Regal could be the last produced by Opel, after GM last week agreed to sell the operations along with its Vauxhall unit to French automaker PSA Group for $2.3 billion.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

back to the Regal/Insignia...

GMi / TTAC
2018 Buick Regal All-Wheel-Drive Models Getting Two Automatics?

By Michael Accardi on March 16, 2017

...GM had said switching to a house-made transmission would save the company money instead of sourcing the AF50 from Aisin, making this initial overlap odd, especially considering GM ditched the eight-speed in favor of the 9T50 in 2.0T-equipped Malibus. Buick is likely to replace the Aisin-built slusher across the model range at some point...

...The Regal makes its debut on April 4th in Michigan, followed by a public debut at the New York International Auto Show later that month.

- - - - - - -

I really have a bad feeling about that 9-speed
:yikes:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

So then I am guessing the 9 speed will be optional unless they are packaging it with something.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

back to the Regal/Insignia...

GMi / TTAC
2018 Buick Regal All-Wheel-Drive Models Getting Two Automatics?
By Michael Accardi on March 16, 2017

...GM had said switching to a house-made transmission would save the company money instead of sourcing the AF50 from Aisin, making this initial overlap odd, especially considering GM ditched the eight-speed in favor of the 9T50 in 2.0T-equipped Malibus. Buick is likely to replace the Aisin-built slusher across the model range at some point...

...The Regal makes its debut on April 4th in Michigan, followed by a public debut at the New York International Auto Show later that month.

- - - - - - -

I really have a bad feeling about that 9-speed
:yikes:
Unlike the GM/ Ford 10 speed the 9 speed actually has a chance to be class leading because it is easy to usurp the utter failure that the Zf 9HP has been.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

re: the cutesy threadtitle^ ie the AVENIR subBrand

"Radio silence so far.
I do know it is supposed to launch in 2018.
Shanghai Auto Show is in just about a month.
Stay tuned."
I belive they're showing the Avenir trim on the Enclave

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

IMO the Avnir sub-brand is a wasted use of the name. The concept was beautiful IMO.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Re: Buick's coming VELITE ...for China

Oh wait !...

Buick ‘‘Volt’’ Ready to Tempt Chinese Greenies
TTAC

By Steph Willems on March 24, 2017

Badge-engineered bliss awaits environmentally conscious General Motors buyers in China. Announced today, the Buick Velite 5 range-extended electric vehicle will soon launch in the car-hungry marketplace, but Americans might recognize it as something else.

Hiding in plain sight behind that Buick badge — which carries plenty of sales clout in China — is a Chevrolet Volt, which aims to compete against a host of low-cost electrics and gas-powered compacts.

Over here, the Volt carries a 53-mile electric range, but the Chinese testing cycle should grant the Velite 5 an emissions-free rating of more than 62 miles, GM claims. The 1.5-liter four-cylinder generator will soothe range anxiety fears among buyers afraid of local towing companies.

This isn’t the first GM hybrid vehicle to land on Chinese shores. An electrified version of the full-size LaCrosse went on sale last year, and GM claims the country can expect more plug-ins and battery electric vehicles within the next two years. Buick Bolt, anyone?

The Volt’s metamorphosis into a Buick is less odd when you consider the brand’s status in the Orient. With over a million vehicles sold last year, Buick — first sold in China in 1998 — is that country’s go-to upscale American nameplate, though Cadillac and Lincoln are quickly making inroads (with much ground to cover). By giving the technology-packed vehicle a new badge, it elevates the vehicle to the premium league.

While the Volt Velite 5 gives GM a fancy gadget to show off, it’s crossovers and SUVs that really tempt Chinese buyers. The Buick Envision remains the country’s best-selling utility vehicle, while sales of Cadillac’s XT5 crossover are skyrocketing. Late to the party, but no doubt looking to clean up, the newly downsized 2018 Chevrolet Equinox will debut in China later this spring.

That vehicle’s entry-level 1.5-liter four-cylinder allows early buyers to take advantage of a reduced levy for vehicle up to 1.6-liters in displacement. The lower levy, which sank from 10 percent last year to 5 percent, before rising to 7.5 percent on January 1st of this year, aims to stimulate vehicle sales. The levy rises back to 10 percent in 2018.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

What's the 5 for? 5 passenger?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

I like the wagon.
The hatch is rather bland almost like a Chrysler 200, and I don't like how they divided the rear door glass.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

GM sure does like that flat front end look all the sudden (by that I mean horizontal grilles flanked by horizontal headlights that almost create a flat line across the front end......see Malibu as another example of this).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

I don't think anything exemplifies GM's lack of planning better than launching a new lineup of products that they no longer own and will not have replacements for in the future. Buick in general is a collection of odd products collected from GM global with no consistent customers.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

I don't think anything exemplifies GM's lack of planning better than launching a new lineup of products that they no longer own and will not have replacements for in the future. Buick in general is a collection of odd products collected from GM global with no consistent customers.
I would perhaps have you consider just how close the Insignia is to the US Malibu. As I am known to say they are not utterly divergent in any way.

Buick is actually very profitable, and can literally exist without a US Buick at this point. In fact Ford could learn from the way that GM has managed Buick which is of course quickly gaining pricing parity with Lexus in the entry luxury classes.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

There is little to learn from a corporation who carries 3 luxury brands.

Again we revisit the elephant in the room. Which is that some simply don't have a clue about luxury brands, and the luxury brand current climate. VW/ Audi Group is the number one purveyor of luxury cars on planet earth, and they have a myriad selection of luxury brands.

As I have said many times. Quite simply were one to desire a strong Lincoln they must embrace the idea of a strong American luxury brand climate. Lincoln was at its very best when their spiritual brother Cadillac was battling them for numero uno. When American luxury cars were at their strongest it benefitted both brands.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts