1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By The Numbers: 2015 Chevy Colorado Vs Tacoma, Frontier, New Ford Ranger
Truckyeah

Andrew P Collins | 10/02/14 10:27am

The 2015 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon are injecting much-needed excitement into the mid-sized truck segment. Here's how they measure up, down, and sideways against the 2014 Toyota Tacoma, 2014 Nissan Frontier, and your forbidden love: 2015 Ford Ranger.

Why is the new Ranger, still unavailable in America, on this list while other non-US pickups are ignored? Simple: we all love the Ranger and wish we could have it. In fact, I might even wager more of you pine for it than any other non-US vehicle. At any rate, we're all keen to see how it compares to the small trucks we do get.

If there's a spec we skipped that you want to discuss, bring it up in the comments and we'll take the analysis further!

Comparison Notes

- There's a daunting range of configurations available for all these trucks; so we're going to compare two versions of each: the smallest, cheapest, lightest 2WD version and the largest, loaded, 4WD version.

- All measurements of "smallest" and "largest" are therefore hinged on being the most-striped or most-loaded model. That means a model's "maximum" isn't always represented, but this method provides a more direct comparison.

- For example; the "largest" Nissan Frontier is the luxury SV, so that's the vehicle our "largest" stats are based on. It's approach angle is lower than the PRO-4X, but is a more accurate overall-package comparison.

- The only spec we ignored that stipulation on is the "smallest bed." Since the "smallest" version of every truck has the long bed, we're looking at bed sizes independent of the trucks trim. The "smallest" bed is simply the smallest possible bed available on a given model range.

- All specifications sourced from GM, Nissan, Toyota, and Ford Australia. The Aussie version of the 2015 Ranger will be our benchmark there.

- The 2015 Chevy Colorado and 2015 GMC Canyon are mechanically identical, therefore and are interchangeable on these specifications.

Check out the full article with all the data here

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My favorite stats are the Dimensions, that resolves once and for all the idea that the 2015 Ranger is too big.

The Ranger is actually the smallest of the small trucks in either configuration.

Overall Length Smallest/Largest Configuration
Chevy Colorado 212.7" 224.9"
Nissan Frontier 205.5" 219.4"
Toyota Tacoma 208.1" 221.3"
Ford Ranger 201.2" 210.7"

2015 F-150 209.3" 227.9"

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Actually, looking at these stats now makes it clear to me why Ford is not interested in the Ranger for the US, it has some serious issues and updates can't fix them. The Ranger is the smallest but by far the heaviest of the trucks it's competing with, which is fine if you're a diesel truck but NOT if you're a gas truck which it would need to be in the US. So you're basically left with a truck that is smaller but with none of the economy benefits that should come with it. The Ranger is a diesel truck, it can only be a diesel truck, and unless Americans want diesel truck than this Ranger is not coming here. That's actually a little concerning, Ranger is just not flexible and ready to go.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
My favorite stats are the Dimensions, that resolves once and for all the idea that the 2015 Ranger is too big.

The Ranger is actually the smallest of the small trucks in either configuration.

2015 F-150 209.3" 227.9"
WAIT WAIT WAIT!
So you're telling me that for the past few years the ones that have been screaming that the Ranger is too big to bring to the US because its basically 9/10ths an F150 is actually SMALLER than the Colorado, Frontier, and Tacoma!?!?

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Automotive News
December 4, 2014 - 12:06 pm ET
DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp. is betting that small pickup trucks are going to become big sellers.

The automaker plans to unveil its redesigned Tacoma truck at the Detroit auto show in January, and is expecting rising sales in 2015 and beyond, even though overall growth in the small-truck segment has been slow.

“It has been a flat segment,” Bill Fay, general manager of the company’s Toyota division, acknowledged in an interview. But he said he thinks launch of new models into the segment -- General Motors just relaunched its Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon for the 2015 model year -- will spur interest and demand.

“With the new entries coming in, the market should expand,” Fay said.

In fact, Toyota is working to increase Tacoma production. The Baja California, Mexico, plant that builds the small truck is scheduled go to three-crew, three-shift production in April.

·
Registered
761 Posts

2015 F-150 209.3" 227.9"
While on vacation a few weeks ago I got to see the new Ranger on the streets of the Canary Islands and in Rio. Seeing the new Ranger in person helped me get a feel for the product. I do not think this truck would compete with the new F-150, actually I think it would generate more sales for Ford. If I was in the market for a new pickup truck the new Ranger would be my choice. It's the right size, easy to park, maneuver through Houston's traffic, all with plenty of bed space for anything I might need to carry. It's also a good looking vehicle, bring it here Ford and enjoy the sales success of the new Ranger.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The Colorado just won Motor Trend truck of the year, and aside from Toyota I believe they will experience success in this segment.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The Colorado just won Motor Trend truck of the year, and aside from Toyota I believe they will experience success in this segment.
That award has resulted in jeers and insults from every single auto forum I've seen (including MT's), because their reasons for not award it to the F-150 fairly stunk to high heaven.

With gas having just been announced to be cheaper for the time being, and with the size so close to full-size trucks, I think "success" will be very relative, indeed.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
...With gas having just been announced to be cheaper for the time being, and with the size so close to full-size trucks, I think "success" will be very relative, indeed.
yup
just like with their mortgage financing
FoMoCo knows timing

I can GM's trucklet not doing well & them giving up
THEN
Ford's Ranger returns JUST as gas prices go back up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts