Ford Inside News banner

C8 Corvette Reveal

27K views 92 replies 19 participants last post by  wingsnut 
#1 ·
#68 ·
I was going to order a C7 but decided to wait on the C8 pricing. Attached is the car I spec'd out. I would expect that GM will keep the option pricing similar. GM does not typically restrict employee pricing on the Vette except for the ZR1. Don't know what they will do initially on the C8, but for me I will wait until the dust settles before I order mine.

Attachments

#71 ·
#73 ·
This is a great car, of course. Maybe it is on the limit of being an excellent car and being a cheap copy of a Ferrari. For now, I say it is a good car and also a very good offer. My complaint is that this is not a true Corvette. It's anything but a Corvette. But GM will still sell many of these. At least in the first 2 years of production. Then, we'll see ...

#74 ·
The C8 Corvette is nowhere near a cheap copy of a Ferrari. To say that ignores GM's history of floating mid-engine Corvettes going back to the 1960s and GM's history with Chaparral Racing and with CERV.

Was the original Ford GT a cheap copy of a Ferrari? Remember Ford tried to buy Ferrari in the early '60s and when they were rebuffed, Ford exacted revenge at LeMans with his Ferrari-killer. Was the original Cobra a cheap copy of the AC Bristol?

Maybe better to call the C8 a Ferrari-killer than a cheap copy. Give GM some credit for a brilliant recovery from the sucker-punch that was the new Ford GT. The Corvette C8 at the announced price is a major coup.

#78 ·
The new sport car from GM is a good one, of course. A Ferrari killer? Nooo . Frankly, do you really see someone choosing between a Ferrari and a Chevy? What we can say is that the new Chevy is a "poor man´s Ferrari". Is that good? I don´t know...

</pre>

</pre>

#86 · (Edited)
True, both have no direct competitors with each other when it comes to 2-seater sportscars/supercars.

The performance comparisons of the C8 vs a Ford GT, Ferrari or McLaren is purely based on one performance figure, its 0-60mph acceleration time of approximately 3 seconds (which people translate as under 3 seconds) when equipped with the Z51 performance package.

#92 ·
Meh.

I've now seen a few in person, and...well...the styling looks like GM dusted off some concept from 1992. Even the previous Ford GT, in all its throwback glory, looks more contemporary in person. The new GT looks like it's from 50 years in the future compared to the C8.

Yes, I know the 'Vette is like other performance Chevies in that it seems to put power down and create track numbers extraordinarily well...but it's just plain ungainly to my eyes. Then again, I'm still convinced that Cadillac is doing all its styling with an Etch-a-Sketch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.