Ford Inside News banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
Maybe, but ai dont think in Mark when I hear Lincoln's names. I prefer to think in... Hmm... I don't know... Mickey! Mickey S Mickey T Mickey Z etc etc. the Mark name should be reserved only for the most luxurious and expensive Lincoln coupe. And since that doesn't exist right now, then there is no Mark.
are you kidding right? :toetap::toetap::toetap::toetap::yikes:

·
Registered
456 Posts
If an automaker is consistent and has a naming scheme that makes sense I don't mind alphanumerics. F-series trucks is a great example; the bigger the number the bigger the truck. And the E-series followed that scheme, which made it even more useful and logical.

Personally though, I prefer real names. It's probably less important to non-car fans, but for those of us that love cars and 'connect' with them to a degree, a proper name is better.
I myself don't care if they use real names or not, but when you use letters that make no sense as to their status in your lineup then there's a problem. I keep hearing that Lincoln is doing luxury in their own way but yet they specifically copy the Germans with their naming EXCEPT they are nonsense. Their nomenclature works when only sell two or three cars, but what happens if the day ever comes when their portfolio swells to 10+ vehicles? And if naming structure means nothing at all or "who cares" then why name them at all, just call them Lincoln small CUV, Lincoln hurst-thingy etc...naming structures and hierarchies DO matter, no matter what some will say which is why the high ranking official who previously worked for BMW (a actual tier 1 brand that knows what it's doing in the luxury arena) is admitting that Caddys naming needs work, and Lincoln's defiantly does, and considering I'm a Lincoln fan, I will defiantly mention that it does.
Mkc MKS Mkt mkx mkz, which ones the range topper, which ones the entry level? Heck which one is even a car?.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Audi has the clearest idiot proof generic naming convention. A1-8, Q1-8. With every car looking like a bigger or smaller version of the same car.

Mercedes with Classes is clear also.

BMW group and product naming is getting worse, by creating a whole seperate 'series' just because it's a coupe or convertible based on the same car. Then calling some 4-door sedans 'coupes', and 5-door hatchbacks Grand coupes, and creating Franken-hatchbacks like X6.

Which means Cadillac is going the generic route like Audi.

Lincoln can do well it's current naming convention, as long as they hold the actual 'name' to the top of the line vehicle:

MKA
MKC
MKE
MKZ
MKS
Continental

MKX
MKV(Aviator)
Navigator
Lincoln naming convention is even more meanless. No way to tell a sedan from a SUV that I see and the MKZ is smaller then the MS too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
When you tell someone you just purchased a new MKS and the person response with, what is that? There goes all the prestige and status of your brand new car, now you explain how the car is so luxurious, etc... That person does not have an idea what you are talking about.

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
When you tell someone you just purchased a new MKS and the person response with, what is that? There goes all the prestige and status of your brand new car, now you explain how the car is so luxurious, etc... That person does not have an idea what you are talking about.
It depends if the said nameplate has made a name for itself or not. A nameplate must be a consistently great product if it wants to achieve name recognition.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I agree, but also the Germans has been using them for a long time and everyone knows what they are. I agree that Audi has the easiest of them all, although I like the classes and series of Mercedes and BMW.
True. BMWs model name logic is very clear. I don't think Lincoln's naming logic is clear but they would be hard pressed to find/discover/coin new names for all of their models so it looks like Lincoln is stuck with MK?.

Cadillac may be breaking out of the morass with the new Escala concept. Escalade without the "de" could be a signal from them that there is more to come.

Cadillac Escala

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
True. BMWs model name logic is very clear. I don't think Lincoln's naming logic is clear but they would be hard pressed to find/discover/coin new names for all of their models so it looks like Lincoln is stuck with MK?.

Cadillac may be breaking out of the morass with the new Escala concept. Escalade without the "de" could be a signal from them that there is more to come.

Cadillac Escala
I doubt it JDN has stated several times that CT# and XT# are the way forward and anything with "romantic" names won't happen. Escalade could possibly lose its name and become XT8

Reactions: 2b2
21 - 27 of 27 Posts