Ford Inside News banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Those that truly champion the cause of Lincoln typically support all American luxury. Especially when you consider that Lincoln, and Cadillac share a father.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Separated at birth to different homes.

Reactions: 2b2 and germeezy1

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I woud like a loaded Continental Black Label for M-F commutes and an ATS-V for fun on weekends when I'm not taking the Mustang out.

These forums sometimes make me feel alone in that regard.

I, however, don't particularly care for autonomous tech. I like driving.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Agreed, it is a system I would hardly use.....but, after spending 22 hours driving back from South Florida, I was recently reminded just how useful it could be.

With regards to the Cadillac safety system, called driver attention system, I think that is key to this whole system. Otherwise, all autonomous cars use maps and radar, sensors, cameras, etc. But I am curious just how well it engages a driver, who let's say is falling asleep. Will it continue to prompt, until it shuts off....which is probably when the sleeping driver needs it most? Will it slowly pull over? These are the kind of unknowns that can make the difference in a safe useful system.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Agreed, it is a system I would hardly use.....but, after spending 22 hours driving back from South Florida, I was recently reminded just how useful it could be.

With regards to the Cadillac safety system, called driver attention system, I think that is key to this whole system. Otherwise, all autonomous cars use maps and radar, sensors, cameras, etc. But I am curious just how well it engages a driver, who let's say is falling asleep. Will it continue to prompt, until it shuts off....which is probably when the sleeping driver needs it most? Will it slowly pull over? These are the kind of unknowns that can make the difference in a safe useful system.
That's something I've found ironic.....if these systems detect you're dozing off or something, they shut off.....which seems like the opposite of what they should do. As you said, if someone is falling asleep, would it be good for the system to shut off and be at the "mercy" of the sleepy driver?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
That's something I've found ironic.....if these systems detect you're dozing off or something, they shut off.....which seems like the opposite of what they should do. As you said, if someone is falling asleep, would it be good for the system to shut off and be at the "mercy" of the sleepy driver?
I would encourage a bit of research into the multiple levels of warning the system utilizes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm sure that the driver monitoring system stops the system early in the drowsy stage,
unlike Vacation with Chevy Chase sound asleep at the wheel, coasting into a motel car park..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cadillac just released this short clip on using super cruise. I had wondered if it would autonomously change lanes to pass. Seems not. I bet it could but Cadillac likely doesn't want to push autonomous driving too far, too fast. Just ease consumers in slowly like getting into cold water.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Cadillac's Self-Driving System May Be the Smartest Yet
Wired
- Alex Davies - 06.29.17 - and another video

If you’re wondering why you don’t have a self-driving car yet, you should know that you’re part of the problem. Maybe even most of the problem...

- - - - - - -

Cadillac Super Cruise First Drive: Trusting the machine
SlashGear
- Chris Davies - Jun 29, 2017 - and yet another video

It was, conservatively, 90 seconds before I was satisfied Cadillac’s Super Cruise semi-autonomous driving system wasn’t going to kill me. By that point, a combination of cameras, super-accurate maps, and a fancier-than-usual GPS system were keeping me dead-center at 65 mph
on California’s 280, headed north toward San Francisco. As the CT6 eased its way around the corners, I spent a few moments considering that the car of the future apparently communicates not with the voice of Mr Feeny from Boy Meets World, but with a glowing green steering wheel instead...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Definitely heavy handed on enforcing driver input which is actually one of the greater technical challenges of enhanced autonomy features like this. I would certainly like a system that was simply better at staying in the lines, right now Ford's lane-keeping is severely under developed (at least in my MKX), it gets easily confused by bends in the road and will start tugging at the wheel as I'm steering through them. It also likes to shut-off without warning and has a hard time seeing lane makers far too frequently. Since the system doesn't warn you clearly, you also never really know if it's actually working unless you're looking down at the tiny graphics on the instrument panel. There are many other areas in which Ford's system is lacking in really obvious ways such as the blind-spot detection...the LED light needs to be on the inside of he cabin or just a larger unique shape (like on Chryslers) because the small and dim amber dot can often be glared out or mistaken for other reflections. I know most of these systems are designed to scale and cost but Lincoln should correct some of these crappy designs for their own cars.

·
Registered
394 Posts
^^The lane centering on Cadillac's SC system is one of the innovations that most excites me about this...I wonder if Cadillac can bring a simpler version of the lidar/gps lane centering to non-autonomous cars for the lane keeping to avoid that lame and awful ping-ponging of other systems.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I seldom use roads which could be considered even remotely well-marked, and the ones I do tend to have gaps from the constant utility/phone/internet cables being worked on.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts