Ford Inside News banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
The rest of the Cadillac line is dreadful unless you get a V-series - then you are stuck with indifferent assembly quality, horrible interior appointments, sitting in a German pill box visibility issues, and an outrageous sticker price. For all of the slams against Lincoln, at least Lincoln isn't over-hyped like the absolutely awful model lineup of GMC trucks and rebodied Chevrolets passed off for $60k.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
What will every grandpa drive now?
Looks like most of the grandpas around here are driving small economy cars, or midsized ones with lots of miles on them.
People retiring now are the first batch without large pensions, and it is only going to get worse. People are living much longer after retirement, and what they socked away for savings just doesn't match that. They may buy a nice new car fresh of the workforce, but reality soon sets in, and they realize they are going to have to make sacrifices.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Cadillac does not mean the same as it did years ago. People aspired to a Cadillac. Not anymore. Cadillac use to be the American Dream.(nobody refers to things as the "Cadillac of...") Not anymore. Cadillacs use to set the standard in design etc. Now they are trying to keep up with BMW and Mercedes and lost some of the prestige that they once had trying to be someone else.

The DTS may be gone and the Town Car's (as we know it) days are numbered as well. This is an end of an era in automotive history and culture but a start of a new one for Lincoln anyways. The new Lincoln plan(once we see the entire plan) has better focus and direction to be more successful than Cadillac.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
totally agree, TurboS40;
Cadillac does NOT mean the same as it did years ago.
Think my most pointed criticism has been that the CTS is "the best Pontiac ever built" imho
&
it might have been an interesting ploy to put Caddy on hiatus and rebadge their current models as Pontiacs & Buicks
while they bleed-sweat-&-cry to develop new Cadillacs at the RR/Bentley level (of refinement & desirability tho not quite cost . . .

. . .
exactly what imho Fomoco could've done with hiatus-ing Lincoln, concentrating on Mercury, ADMITTING that the vehicles they've been building were at best "Premium", not full-blown Luxury

·
Registered
326 Posts
The CTS is a very good Cadillac, so I don't think Cadillac has died. I know that other GM products share the 3.6L V6 but within a few years I expect the V6 will be rare at GM outside Cadillac. GMI recently reported the next LaCrosse will be 4 cylinder only.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The CTS is a very good Cadillac, so I don't think Cadillac has died. I know that other GM products share the 3.6L V6 but within a few years I expect the V6 will be rare at GM outside Cadillac. GMI recently reported the next LaCrosse will be 4 cylinder only.
Cadillac is alive and well, yes... But Cadillac needs at least a V12

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Cadillac is alive and well, they have been successful in changing the perception of a stale and anachronic car brand. With the end of the DTS, Cadillac has shed the last vestige of its past shame.

If anything Cadillac will die whenever the STS is finally put out of its misery for good, since that one is at least is on a kind of dedicated RWD platform, and not in one of those P&G concocted POSs G bodies.

Cadillac will be fine and will make GM proud . . .

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Isn't the STS already dead?

·
FIN Moderator
2,106 Posts
Lincoln is dead not Cadillac. Hopefully Lincoln will get reincarnated. They need to get back to their roots(RWD!).

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Pick your choice... MK_ ... you fill in the blank. Lincoln barely competes with Buick right now, whether you wanna believe it or not...
hi Elvisuperman
I wasn't "sticking up" for Lincoln with my comment.
Imho they've abandoned their grandpa customers,
AND don't yet offer vehicles for true-Lux buyers,
even *I*'m even not sure what demographic Fomoco thinks they were pursuing the last 5 years...

...once upon a time I made a Poll thread asking "Is there ANYthing right about Lincoln?"

then again
recently I've started asking myself if *I* should even/ever like Lincolns?
afterall they're not Mercurys

·
Registered
334 Posts
Right now, Cadillac is preparing the next phase of its recovery with the upcoming ATS and XTS. The brand is also working on the ELR and hopefully will start working on a RWD flagship sedan soon too. It is far from being "dead".

I'm optimistic about the attention and resources that FoMoCo has committed to transforming Lincoln. FoMoCo will have to attempt to do this with its corporate FWD platforms, but that doesn't mean that it can't carve out its own niche in the premium end of the market.

The 2 brands are on their own separate recovery paths and we need to stop comparing them. I want them both to be successful.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right now, Cadillac is preparing the next phase of its recovery with the upcoming ATS and XTS. The brand is also working on the ELR and hopefully will start working on a RWD flagship sedan soon too. It is far from being "dead".

I'm optimistic about the attention and resources that FoMoCo has committed to transforming Lincoln. FoMoCo will have to attempt to do this with its corporate FWD platforms, but that doesn't mean that it can't carve out its own niche in the premium end of the market.

The 2 brands are on their own separate recovery paths and we need to stop comparing them. I want them both to be successful.
The original concept was that Cadillac had "died" because they no longer had an engine of their own. From 1903 through 2011MY, Cadillac had an engine in their lineup that was designed exclusively for the brand. After the demise of the Northstar engine in the spring, Cadillac, in my mind, died.

Lincoln, who I like much more than Cadillac, hasn't had a dedicated engine in ages. Oh, they've had VERSIONS of engines that were theirs exclusively, but when was the last ground-up engine that was designed for Lincoln? Because of this, Lincoln's engines have never been a core to what made a Lincoln. To me, Lincoln "died" many times. When they tarted up a Mercury Monarch (1977 - even though I like the Versailles). When they put something smaller than a V8 in a Lincoln (1982). When they put something smaller than a V6 in a Lincoln and when they dropped RWD cars (both in 2011).

Just my opinions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts