Ford Inside News banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OUR TAKE: This is a perfectly functional, perfectly capable, perfectly reasonable, perfectly boring automobile. The new styling is pleasant enough but already starting to look a little dated, while the interior should have been redone before it even hit the market. Again, all pleasant enough and functional enough, but it's duller than an empty office cubicle.​

At the same time, the little four-cylinder is peppy and fun, despite the power-sapping limitations of the automatic transmission. The car drives smoothly and quietly enough up to about 70 mph, and then things turn a little raucous and unsettled, almost as though Toyota engineered the car to the U.S. freeway speed limit, but not a touch beyond.​

Toyota has been able to get away with this for years, thanks to its impeccable quality and lack of surprises. But with cars such as the Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Malibu out there--not to mention the new Honda Accord and the hungry Koreans--the competition is a lot tougher these days. For a change, it's Toyota that needs to do better if it wants to keep its position.​

Full Story -Link

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Yeah. Too bad the Accord outclasses all the others.

I can't wait for the next Fusion.
Oh how the mighty stumble! Toyota has grown at meteoric proportions...and for that, they have allowed their standards to slip and they have fallen into a slight rut of producing cars that do not stray from the same equation that made the 1992 Camry so successful.

But bland styling and underwhelming performance can only be overlooked if the build quality is stellar and the inherited value is massive. This is where Toyota has really stumbled with their products...their quality has slipped substantially and cars now leave the manufacturing sites with panel gaps and misaligned components. Plus, Toyota has steadily increased the prices of their products to the point that the value is really gone and Toyota doesn't stand behind its cars nearly as long as the competition.

Case in point...look at the Hyundai Sonata. Look at the all new Chevrolet Malibu and we are all worked up and excited about the new Ford Fusion that is coming.

Toyota has to really re-think what it wants to be...or it will continue to stumble.

It is easy to get the top and become the Worlds Largest Automaker...it is harder to stay there with everyone else trying to knock you off.

As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. Too bad the Accord outclasses all the others.

I can't wait for the next Fusion.
Consindering how mch more you pay for an Accord, it better be worth the difference in price.
Honda's are not that better than a Fusion these days. Have you sat in a fusion with leather, navigation , etc? Or a Malibu LTZ? other than the myriads of buttons you get in an Accord, there is really nothing more...there...
It does not even drive better..

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I hear a lot of people saying the Camry is bland and boring and that they don't like it but yet it still manages to be the Best Selling Car in America. And I personally think it is the ugliest mid-size sedan on the market not I'll take that back the Accord is the ugliest one but the Camry is the most bland again that's just my opinion.

I can't wait to see the new Milan and Fusion.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Consindering how mch more you pay for an Accord, it better be worth the difference in price.
Honda's are not that better than a Fusion these days. Have you sat in a fusion with leather, navigation , etc? Or a Malibu LTZ? other than the myriads of buttons you get in an Accord, there is really nothing more...there...
It does not even drive better..
Honda has some fantastic engineers...but the engineers have no business designing the styling and the interior design of the cars. They use only strait edges and rulers...all in an effort for the perfect execution of ergonomics...but style and emotion...well not so much.

As for Toyota...a lot of consumers have become so ingrained with the belief that Toyota's have perfect build quality and there will be no problems with them...even if they don't maintain them. So much so that a Toyota Dealer can convince them to take whatever is on the lot...not sell the customer what the customer wants.

The new Fusion can't come soon enough to recapture Camry, Accord, and Altima owners...and the new Malibu is doing wonders to rebuild the image that American cars are quality cars that can go head to head with the Japanese.

I want to see the new Fusion...I want to see it now!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Honda has some fantastic engineers...but the engineers have no business designing the styling and the interior design of the cars. They use only strait edges and rulers...all in an effort for the perfect execution of ergonomics...but style and emotion...well not so much.

As for Toyota...a lot of consumers have become so ingrained with the belief that Toyota's have perfect build quality and there will be no problems with them...even if they don't maintain them. So much so that a Toyota Dealer can convince them to take whatever is on the lot...not sell the customer what the customer wants.

The new Fusion can't come soon enough to recapture Camry, Accord, and Altima owners...and the new Malibu is doing wonders to rebuild the image that American cars are quality cars that can go head to head with the Japanese.

I want to see the new Fusion...I want to see it now!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061
My Expirience with honda, beyond powertrain, they suck. They have nothing over a similar Ford

·
Registered
384 Posts
My experience with driving the latest Camry was with a V6 XLE, and while the car did hang on in turns, it felt as if there was way too much power for those suspension settings. There was no harmony here, certainly no fun. Even a Chrysler Sebring was a more balanced driving experience, never mind the Saturn Aura I also drove in the same time frame. The last Fusion I drove was a SEL with a 4 cylinder and a 5 speed manual. It was not comparable, but it was decidedly entertaining. In fact, a similar Camry probably wouldn't be as much fun. It's too bad that GM doesn't even offer the option of changing one's own gears. This article points in the general direction of something I've been wanting to see for years, and that I'v wanted to get across to people, mainly that all else being equal, would you really settle for boring Japanese design?

As for the latest Accord, it may be a better car, until you drive it (Motor Trend conceded in its COTY testing the Malibu handled better), or ponder having that absolute train wreck of a design sitting in your driveway, or in your reserved parking space, where it is no longer possible to deny this car being yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts