1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after being online for a couple hours this morning, every fine;
all of a sudden
EVERY site is producing the error msg
"Your connection is not secure" (Firefox)
"Your connection is not private" (Chrome)
"There is a problem with this website's security certificate" (IE)
+
I saw a link withIN an error msg to "install.charter.net" which afaik I never had-nor-WOULD do

posting this via my ancient dialup-Win95 puter
:yikes:

@Andrew L
are YOU familiar with this?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
after being online for a couple hours this morning, every fine;
all of a sudden
EVERY site is producing the error msg
"Your connection is not secure" (Firefox)
"Your connection is not private" (Chrome)
"There is a problem with this website's security certificate" (IE)
+
I saw a link withIN an error msg to "install.charter.net" which afaik I never had-nor-WOULD do

posting this via my ancient dialup-Win95 puter

@Andrew L
are YOU familiar with this?
Are you actually using Win95? If so isn't the newest version of IE like 5.5? I don't think any internet websites will work with a version of IE that old.

Did you check the proxy settings in IE? Even though you don't use it if there is one set it will affect Chrome and FF

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hi Andrew :joyous: TY

the Win95 setup is just my backup (tho Yes, it still works for ~90% of what's possible via dialup... ie no youtubing)

my usual puter is broadband/Windows7 -which- is working once again...at least Firefox, which I re-installed

guess my question for now is
Did the connection problem sound like malware to you?

I'll try to look into this "proxy" stuff

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
hi Andrew :joyous: TY

the Win95 setup is just my backup (tho Yes, it still works for ~90% of what's possible via dialup... ie no youtubing)

my usual puter is broadband/Windows7 -which- is working once again...at least Firefox, which I re-installed

guess my question for now is
Did the connection problem sound like malware to you?

I'll try to look into this "proxy" stuff
I would recommend installing malwarebytes it's free and very effective at catching stuff.

Also try the addon adblockplus for FF and Chrome it will block popups and ads on websites.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ I'd DL'ed malwarebytes yesterday/before :thumb:
then after installing it today, couldn't connect, even tho it looked like my puter & the router recognized eachother:
little-connection window showed the router and even said connected & Internet Access
but would switch to NO Internet Access when I started a browser
finally, added the router's IP# to malwarebytes's exclude-from-blocking list
& now it's working

again

for now

I hate Windows

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
2b2, do you do much more than simply internet surfing and email? If not I cannot recommend a ChromeOS laptop highly enough! They can be had for under $300 and are faster than a $900 laptop struggling with Windows. I've converted my wife and inlaws over to them and have not had to fix anything for them since. If you're not familiar with them they're inexpensive because they run low end hardware, but then for an OS it's basically a Chrome browser, though newer versions are beginning to make Android apps available. You could probably pick up a used one for $150 on Craigslist to give it a try.

H E double hockey sticks, I'd use one myself but I have a few apps that I need thus it's a no go.

·
Mercury C557
22,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Thanks, SP :thumb:
I'll keep that in mind for an unde$erved Karmic event...
...can they do youtube? & google-translate?
I'm using them to improve my French

Oh, also can they run ancient PaintShopPro3? in case I get back into chopping...
...actually started a new MILAN today while locked out from the internet

·
Registered
5,933 Posts

Oh, also can they run ancient PaintShopPro3? in case I get back into chopping...
Most likely not since they are extremely basic you might be able to find an app similar to paint shop pro or photoshop though.
Also @SP1966 you can get laptops now for around that even under with SSDs with Windows that will run circles around a Chromebook ;) Anything I build or buy these days has SSDs the performance is totally worth it. My main desktop boots in 9 seconds flat.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts

Anything you can do in the Chrome browser on Windows can be done on a Chromebook. Any software packages that you install on Windows and run separately you cannot so PSP3 is out. On the other hand there are an infinite number of web based tools available that can replace 90% of Windows software.

Take a look at the Chrome App Store, you can run all those programs within Chrome on your Windows PC just as you will be able to on a Chromebook! https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Most likely not since they are extremely basic you might be able to find an app similar to paint shop pro or photoshop though.
Also @SP1966 you can get laptops now for around that even under with SSDs with Windows that will run circles around a Chromebook ;) Anything I build or buy these days has SSDs the performance is totally worth it. My main desktop boots in 9 seconds flat.
You'll have a difficult time building/buying a decent Windows PC for Chromebook money. Windows still does, and will always require more horsepower just to run the OS than a Chromebook will to run a Browser based OS. Windows also requires more storage as it's not cloud based, good luck running that on a 32GB drive! And finally, probably the biggest selling point to ChromeOS is its absolute simplicity. It just works without the headaches that typically appear with Windows over time. For a person who's not particularly computer literate and who's computer time is all browser based there really isn't a better option.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
You'll have a difficult time building/buying a decent Windows PC for Chromebook money. Windows still does, and will always require more horsepower just to run the OS than a Chromebook will to run a Browser based OS. Windows also requires more storage as it's not cloud based, good luck running that on a 32GB drive! And finally, probably the biggest selling point to ChromeOS is its absolute simplicity. It just works without the headaches that typically appear with Windows over time. For a person who's not particularly computer literate and who's computer time is all browser based there really isn't a better option.
Oh absolutely price wise but don't underestimate the power of an SSD drive. Putting one in a really old laptop does wonders.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Oh absolutely price wise but don't underestimate the power of an SSD drive. Putting one in a really old laptop does wonders.
No question, I put one in my 2012 Macbook Pro and it was like buying a brand new laptop! In fact I was ready to order a new one last year, but now I could see using this one for another year or two.

I just think the simplicity of a Chromebook, along with the price is perfect for 60% of home users. Unless they're a gamer most home computer users are really just home internet users, apps are almost entirely irrelevant. I do mobile app development so I need a full OS, but honestly beyond that I have no need for apps and I would be considered a power user. Looking at the apps I use the only two non-development apps I use regularly are a browser and email client, and the email client could just as easily be replaced by the browser.

I've been off the PC crack since 2008, do the latest versions of Windows still have the dreaded registry?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
No question, I put one in my 2012 Macbook Pro and it was like buying a brand new laptop! In fact I was ready to order a new one last year, but now I could see using this one for another year or two.

I just think the simplicity of a Chromebook, along with the price is perfect for 60% of home users. Unless they're a gamer most home computer users are really just home internet users, apps are almost entirely irrelevant. I do mobile app development so I need a full OS, but honestly beyond that I have no need for apps and I would be considered a power user. Looking at the apps I use the only two non-development apps I use regularly are a browser and email client, and the email client could just as easily be replaced by the browser.

I've been off the PC crack since 2008, do the latest versions of Windows still have the dreaded registry?
I put one in my dell laptop from ~2008 2 years ago and it's renewed it's life for me for another few years. I don't use it much except for travel I am usually on my desktop. I like to relate some home users to my parents who are in their 60s and early 70s respectively. They mostly do just browsing however my father is a retired accountant and he follows his stocks very closely and has some pretty elaborate spreadsheets in excel to keep track of everything. He also loves his card games. My mother has tons of pictures from her camera on the computer as well. They probably could switch to a chromebook with everything being cloud based however they are set in their ways. Believe it or not my father still backs up all his spreadsheets to a floppy disk. When they bought their desktop I had to get them a USB floppy drive so he could keep doing it that way. No joke.

My uncle (father's brother in law also retired) on the other hand is a power user and has cad software and photoshop and video editing software on his Windows PC. They travel a ton and when ever they get back he makes a DVD of all the photos and videos. A Chromebook would not work for them. But as you said most users don't even do that much with their computers.

As far as I know the registry is still there I haven't messed with it on 10 yet despite upgrading my laptop to 10. My desktop is still 7. Everything in my company is 7 as well but I don't have to mess with the registry too often. The developers on the other hand probably have to deal with it all the time.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I put one in my dell laptop from ~2008 2 years ago and it's renewed it's life for me for another few years. I don't use it much except for travel I am usually on my desktop. I like to relate some home users to my parents who are in their 60s and early 70s respectively. They mostly do just browsing however my father is a retired accountant and he follows his stocks very closely and has some pretty elaborate spreadsheets in excel to keep track of everything. He also loves his card games. My mother has tons of pictures from her camera on the computer as well. They probably could switch to a chromebook with everything being cloud based however they are set in their ways. Believe it or not my father still backs up all his spreadsheets to a floppy disk. When they bought their desktop I had to get them a USB floppy drive so he could keep doing it that way. No joke.

My uncle (father's brother in law also retired) on the other hand is a power user and has cad software and photoshop and video editing software on his Windows PC. They travel a ton and when ever they get back he makes a DVD of all the photos and videos. A Chromebook would not work for them. But as you said most users don't even do that much with their computers.

As far as I know the registry is still there I haven't messed with it on 10 yet despite upgrading my laptop to 10. My desktop is still 7. Everything in my company is 7 as well but I don't have to mess with the registry too often. The developers on the other hand probably have to deal with it all the time.
Those are good examples of people who can't, or simply won't switch! It's funny though, Windows, especially older versions, are a pain to learn, but once somebody does it's **** to get them to change. My Dad had a desktop and laptop, he only used the laptop for trips and it was always a pain to sync the data between them before and after. He would also use me as his tech support, but like I said, I stopped using Windows back when XP was still current! I convinced him to change to a Mac so I'd be able to help him, and now the one laptop works for his trips, but he can also connect it to his LCD and keyboard and use it as a desktop with no sync headaches! He still does silly things like installing Machelper malware because his browser prompts him to! :surprise2:

Switching isn't that hard, but we're all resistant to change!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts