Ford Inside News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carscoops - Future Cars: Propelling Lincoln the Right Way with Mustang-Based Coupe

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 9:05 pm | Posted by Carscoop Carscoop

Fans of the Lincoln Motor Company have had little to rejoice over in recent years; however, slowly but surely, the brand is making good on its promise to reinvent itself. Attractively styled CUVs and mid-sized sedans have helped lure back buyers into the blue oval’s luxury division.

Unfortunately, the brand is still missing a dynamic point of difference; sure, the styling is distinctive and equipment levels are competitive, yet it’s behind the wheel where things remain a little stagnant.

Using Ford’s global platforms is not a bad thing; however, as they’re mainly front wheel drive biased with the provision of AWD, there’s little to get enthusiastic about when carving up those canyon roads. Lincoln’s closest competitor - Cadillac offers RWD on most of its models, as does BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Jaguar.

Yet, all is not lost, as the Dearborn-based manufacturer has at least one RWD platform that it can get its hands on - that being of the latest Ford Mustang. A pony-car based coupe could finally give the brand and hero variant that driving enthusiasts want.

This hypothetical study would closely follow the S550 Mustang’s structural hard-points, yet infuse Lincoln design DNA for a look that doesn’t look badge-engineered. My illustration below highlights the best parts of Lincoln’s current design language and massages them into RWD, muscle car proportions.

For example, the front-end is dominated by a slim, split-winged grille and headlights that stretch far into the front fenders. This strong frontal stance is further enhanced by aggressive intake detailing and a lower lip splitter.

Distinctive crease-work divides the sculptured hood as it flows back towards the cabin, adding a sense of dynamism. This athletic theme continues along the bodywork with scolloped doors and flared shoulders that exaggerate the rear haunches.

Improving on the Mustang’s interior wouldn’t be a hard task; Ford’s pony car caters for those enticed by heritage, which means an blend of retro and modern. Lincoln’s version would be much more modern, luxurious and generously equipped.

Read the rest of the article over at Carscoops.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/future-cars-propelling-lincoln-right.html

Attachments

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Best interpretation yet of lincstang.

But, I would change one thing.....the base engine would be the Lincoln only 2.9L GTDI, good for about 375hp. Combine with an improved 5.0L at around 450hp makes a nice and limited set. No wimpy motors should ever make their way into a Lincstang.

Sure sounds nice, except......I can hear it now, rebadged Ford.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Best interpretation yet of lincstang.

But, I would change one thing.....the base engine would be the Lincoln only 2.9L GTDI, good for about 375hp. Combine with an improved 5.0L at around 450hp makes a nice and limited set. No wimpy motors should ever make their way into a Lincstang.

Sure sounds nice, except......I can hear it now, rebadged Ford.
If the 2.9EB can push its way towards 425 it would be in the same ballpark with the M4 and the V6 Mustang is actually a few pounds lighter than the M4 to top it off. To me 5.0 and Mustang are synonymous, I would rather see Lincoln lead the way with the 2.9EB in the same way as they have with the 3.5EB in the 'Gator, assuming they can get the power out of it.

And....

... nice Cougar!!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
you take that back, SP!

doesn't anyone else think everything aft of the front wheels smells like a Camaro?
Actually I think the roofline looks a bit like the Volvo C30. I do like the idea of a LincStang being a 3-door shooting brake!

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
Very nice illustration. But I would cut down the huge crease at the rear, and open up the cabin a bit more at the rear to facilitate a 4 seater convertible.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very nice illustration. But I would cut down the huge crease at the rear, and open up the cabin a bit more at the rear to facilitate a 4 seater convertible.
Could not agree more; looks like that ridiculous mirco-fin that Hyundai puts on the Elantra. A convertible option would be nice but may be a nitch of a nitch market.:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts